skydivercowboy

need help with gear selection.

Hey everyone, im a beginner to all of this. im fixing to start my aff level-1. and would like to know what kind of gear would be best for me when i finish my aff level 1. im 5'9, weight 140. so if yall could help me out and give me some opinions on what is the best for me, i would appreciate it alot.
love that rush!

Rental gear.

+1

You REALLY shouldnt be looking at gear yet, you dont know what you want. Once you start progressing and get either really close to or have your license, ask your instructors...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

yeah figured thats what everyone would be saying. and i know i really shouldn't be looking, but im so pumped up about getting my started and getting my aff, its just hard not to... you know?

Oh, I know. I had 37 jumps before I bought my gear, good thing I waited and asked around, or I might be on a canopy I didnt like.

Focus more on the AFF than the shopping for gear.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Yes, I know. :$

If you have a desperate urge to spend money on stuff, get an altimeter, goggles and gloves. Even then (all together now :P) talk to your instructors. Wait a little getting a helmet; you may want a different helmet later than you will be allowed to jump now.

Johan.
I am. I think.

yeah... most definitely true... jw have you ever had any mal... and if so, was the first one hard to keep your head straight and think about what to do?

Yes. The first one was after more than 700 jumps, and it was almost easy. You can't count on it taking that long, giving you that much time to prepare for it. But training will kick in, so listen to your instructors! :P
Johan.
I am. I think.

yeah... most definitely true... jw have you every had any mal... and if so, was the first one hard to keep your head straight and think about what to do?

Glad to see you so excited and ready to go. Seriously, rental gear is the best for your first 20-30 jumps, because the type of main canopy you'll need for those jumps is probably bigger and slower than the one you'll want for the next several hundred jumps.

Malfunctions? I've had a few. Pay attention in class, and rehearse, both physically and mentally, those emergency procedures until they are as natural as breathing. When the time comes that you have to use your reserve, you'll be amazed how easy it really is. I was.B|

yeah figured thats what everyone would be saying. and i know i really shouldn't be looking, but im so pumped up about getting my started and getting my aff, its just hard not to... you know?

Oh, I know. I had 37 jumps before I bought my gear, good thing I waited and asked around, or I might be on a canopy I didnt like.

I had 12 jumps before I bought my gear. I saved over $500 on gear rental (that's after subtracting 1/2 of a repack, $50 for shipping which is way high, and $50 in depreciation which is probably high) by not waiting until jump 37.

On a positive note, I actually got to jump 3-4 times a day and learn something instead of once since I was no longer waiting for gear that students had priority on. And I got to jump a canopy closer to accepted experienced jumper wing loadings (probably 180 pounds under a 205 instead of a 295).

Following accepted conservative guide lines on canopy down sizing would have meant spending at most an extra 63 jumps on a canopy "I might not like" and even if tapered canopies for beginning skydivers had been available at that time I would not have given up anywhere close to $500 worth of fun.

The right answer on when to buy gear is going to have a lot to do with local conditions - you could wait a long time if you were at a not-for-profit club DZ with $5 rentals, little waiting, and smaller-than-first-jump-student gear.

Regardless, for normal people it's not going to be before you get cleared for self-supervision.