JENNR8R

Night Jump

Green lights on the back, indicates to another skydiver (in freefall or under canopy) you are flying away from them, red lights on the front, better take collision avoidance maneuvers, NOW!

Also, it's a good idea to allow your eyes to adjust. Walk out to the loading area/dark area at least 20-30 minutes prior to departure. Night vision's great, when the eyeballs have a chance adjust.

If you prepare for a PLF every time you enter the landing pattern, you'll never have to think about it in an emergency. It will be good ole muscle memory and maybe save your buttinsky.
Attitude is everything!

In addition to all the other suggestions, wear sunglasses for at least 1/2 hour before loading the plane and on the ride to altitude. Remove them at least at the 2 minute warning or when they open the door. This will insure your optimum night vision and prevent the inevitable turning on of a strobe or flashlight in the plane from ruining your night vision. It takes approximately 20 minutes for your eyes to readjust.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Wow! I really appreciate all of the helpful information. I feel so much more knowledgeable now.

No one has mentioned taking a cell phone along in case you land off. How would that be carried on the jump? The only place I can think of is the inside pocket of my jumpsuit. A friend of mine had some money in the inside pocket of his jumpsuit. When he landed, the money was gone. Somehow his zipper came undone during freefall. Is there any chance of losing my cell phone this way?
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

For what it's worth, the military puts one colour on the back, one on the front. This way, you can see which way someone is going.

Bingo, beat me to it!:)

During my night briefings I recommend green on the back and red on the front,
although many newbies like to light themselves up like Christmas trees. :S:D

I doubt if the zipper came undone, I'll bet it was never completely closed. You might consider a small fanny pack; use it for storing you cell phone, ID, strobe light, a small flash light, GPS, cab fare or what ever. Take a piece of tape and tape the zipper pull in place.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I did it, and it was awesome!!! After a cloud delay the plane took off at about 9:30 p.m.

Some people covered their glow sticks, some didn't. The ones that were uncovered didn't seem to affect my night vision. Some people didn't even wear glow sticks.

The full moon was high in the sky and shining brightly. There were clouds in the distance being illuminated by lightning....beautiful sight!!!

I was surprised that there was plenty of light to do points. We planned to do right-hand open accordion, compressed accordion, left-hand open, compressed. After about 15 points my partner got bored and started doing 360s. I thought he was turning to track. I started to do the same and noticed it wasn't time yet....confusion. That was not a good time to change anything. Plan the dive and dive the plan.

I had no concept of what the SIM meant about your shadow from the moonlight causing a problem. When I was about 50 feet from the ground, I saw "another jumper" about ten feet below me. It looked three dimensional and much closer to me than the ground. I was sure it was the person who went with me on the 2-way. Since "he" was to my right, I didn't think I would collide with him. But it distracted me enough to have bad timing on my flare. I pitched forward and landed on one knee. It never occurred to me that it was my shadow.

An AFF instructor (who had many previous night jumps) was so distracted by the shadow that he did not flare at all. They say he bounced eight feet and screamed in pain when he landed. He had injured his knees. His new nickname is Shadow. I pray that he heals quickly.

I appreciate all of your shared wisdom. I felt much better prepared and was able to convey some of it to others doing the night jump with me. I can hardly wait to do it again!
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

An AFF instructor (who had many previous night jumps) was so distracted by the shadow that he did not flare at all. They say he bounced eight feet and screamed in pain when he landed. He had injured his knees.

i've heard of people using their car headlights to make like a landing strip to land it. sounds like a really good idea to me after hearing these stories of people getting freaked out by their shadows

An AFF instructor (who had many previous night jumps) was so distracted by the shadow that he did not flare at all. They say he bounced eight feet and screamed in pain when he landed. He had injured his knees.

i've heard of people using their car headlights to make like a landing strip to land it. sounds like a really good idea to me after hearing these stories of people getting freaked out by their shadows

There was a row of cars lined up perpendicular to the landing area with their headlights on. The runway lights ran perpendicular to the other side of the landing area. The headlight beam did not penetrate the darkness of the whole landing area. It was more of a help in locating the landing area than to illuminate it.

There was a row of cars lined up perpendicular to the landing area with their headlights on. The runway lights ran perpendicular to the other side of the landing area. The headlight beam did not penetrate the darkness of the whole landing area. It was more of a help in locating the landing area than to illuminate it.

I've never seen it done that way... I've always seen it done with the headlights pointing parallel to the landing direction (they should be pointing upwind, of course, so you are landing with the headlights to your back and don't get blinded). Usually use two cars, have them slightly off to the sides, pointing in at a bit of an angle so the light beams from the two cars converge. Then you just approach over the gap between the two cars (so if you're a bit short, you don't hit a car).
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Good topic. Be sure to check out the article called "So you want to make a night jump" A friend of mine wrote it and I think it is very thorough.

I did my night jump at jump 97, and Eric (who wrote the article) did a great briefing for us. I felt very comfortable that everyone on the jump knew what they were doing, and we all knew whose lights were where. We used clear packing tape to cover the chem lights and it worked really well. We also waited to break them until just before jump run. They only take a second to start glowing.

Happy jumping!
It isn't what it could be, or it what it should be, it is what it is.

This may sound silly... But has anyone ever thought of Christmas lights strung out in the landing zone?

Using a T-pattern you could indicate the direction of wind, and since they are small and on the ground they are not a danger to people landing (just don't land on them and knock them out).

If the LZ is a little way out from a plug you can always get a small generator and extension cords to run the lights; or run it off an inverter hooked to a car or deep-cycle battery. Just mark these with a red light so jumpes know to avoid it.