docjohn

Rig for sale - ebay scam?

This is a very suspect ebay ad. Looks like a great rig, easily worth $5000, looking for a BUY IT NOW for $1700. I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it wasn't so suspicious.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quazar-II-skydiving-rig-complete-with-AAD-AND-HELMET_W0QQitemZ370293941901QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item56373d268d
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

My SCAM flag is out on this one! The seller says that "This transaction will be done through Ebay", but wants you to contact him at his personal email to "buy it now". He says he CAN'T read Ebay email (seriously?), doesn't have a buy it now feature on the auction, and listed it as a 1 day auction (looks like he doesn't want anybody asking questions/ or thinking about this to long).

Very sketchy, rule #1...If it's to good to be true...it probaby is.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

generally I would agree that it looks like it could be a scam. Then however if you look closer at the sellers feedback they have 99.6 and over 12,500 transactions. Have a look at how ling the have been a member as well. Over ten years.

I would look into it further if the rig interests you. I think it could be on the up and up. Notice they also showed all the serial numbers etc so easy to check up on it.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

If you notice it's not text, but a picture in the body, this way eBay's scam filters can't read it.

Nice catch, I didn't think of that.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

he's got another rig for sale also

http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Skydiving-Rig-and-Equipment-Awesome-condition_W0QQitemZ270488255059QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efa5b3a53

sorry can't get the clicky to work.

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

This was a scam, I messaged him telling him I wanted to buy the rig and he sent me a FAKE ebay email telling me that I could only used western union money order (total scam).

The message also said:

"We know that we encourage every eBay member to use services such as PayPal, Escrow which are safer than Western Union Money Transfer. But is our responsibility to make every option safe and tell that this seller is verified by our services and you can have all the trust in his requests."

If you paid through their system, it's not even done through Ebay, so you can't post negative comments in their feedback and Ebay can do nothing to stop them (they would deny it even happened). Maybe they hijacked someone's account.

The seller gave this as his name and address:

Justin Kurutz
22 Streatham High Road
London
London
SW16 1DB
United Kingdom

Strange that someone with such a strong seller profile would try to pull a scam with such a high-value item. I looked at their feedback after I reported it as potentially fraudulent and thought I made a mistake in reporting it.

Either way, when you list on eBay, you can't limit payment or purchase methods because it violates the seller policies, i.e. you can't say we won't accept bids or limit how payment is made. I got in trouble once for saying I wouldn't accept credit cards via PayPal and had a listing cancelled.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

I clicked on the link last night. From that link, went to the seller's store. All of the items for sell on the first page had the exact same "buy it now" price with method for payment, the only difference for each auction was the pasted in description. When I tried to go back to the original link, it had been removed.

I bet the real seller had their site hacked and the scammer was hoping to make some quick $ before getting found out. It looked like enough buyers caught wind of it by bidding insanely high amounts to prevent those unaware of the scam from getting stung.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

generally I would agree that it looks like it could be a scam. Then however if you look closer at the sellers feedback they have 99.6 and over 12,500 transactions. Have a look at how ling the have been a member as well. Over ten years.

I would look into it further if the rig interests you. I think it could be on the up and up. Notice they also showed all the serial numbers etc so easy to check up on it.

No way. This is a scam. It is very scary seeing that it is now possible (somehow) to show a great history. So he either turned crooked after 12,500 transactions (doubtful) or he figured a way to fake the history.

Fortunately the red flags outweighed his bogus history numbers.

Ebay should be very concerned.
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

They dont have to fake the history just get a users password that has alot of + feedback. Last year I got a e-mail that my auction was coming to a end. I thought to myself, I am not selling anything right now. Went to the auction and someone listed Gucci Handbags that were like worth 2000 for 800. Lucky I had caught it and e-bay security center helped to get the account back and change password. For 2 months I had people sending messages asking If I still had any handbags left.

For 2 months I had people sending messages asking If I still had any handbags left.

Well... do you?
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess