BaronVonBoll

How windy is too windy?

Constant winds up to 25 is ok with me. Wind gust up to 5 is ok. Anything above those im out. If i'm with a newer jumper (less than 100 jumps) I will ask what they want to do If the winds get above 20. I have even stayed in the plane when with a newer jumper, so he didnt get the newb ( I have to jump every chance I get) syndrome
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

If you have to ask, it's probably too windy or gusty.

If the old timer with more years in the sport than your age, is chilling on the ground...

If, under canopy, you couldn't drive a pin up your asshole with a sledge hammer, then yes, you're in over your head.

I've found it's easier to watch a few loads then decide based on wing loading, experience etc.

This just about covers it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I have even stayed in the plane when with a newer jumper, so he didnt get the newb ( I have to jump every chance I get) syndrome

Well done!

That is the way to build a strong, safe community of upcoming jumpers!

Proud to know you (....except for your choice of colors for your rig and jumpsuit ...;))
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

My Daughter and I got on the plane and at take off the winds were five to ten MOH. When we got to altitude Ground crew reported winds fifteen to twenty. Students stayed in the plane. Others were given the choice. My daughter stayed and I went with two others. Had a great dive turned short on the final, almost no penetration sank right down and landed on tip toes. Pulled my right toggle to get my canopy to colaspse and a gust blew across the landing zone picked me up about five feet and dragged me for another twenty. One of the guy on the ground ran over and help my caonpy down so i could stand up. (Embarrasing but funny) wish i had it on video!

So how windy is too windy?

How would your reserve have performed in those conditions?

simple answer to a tricky question:

it's to windy, when you are on final with a tandem and you're flying backwards just as fast as if it was a no wind day and you're moving forward B|

as for jumping solo: well i guess it's the same

not that i ever was in such a situation

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Pulled my right toggle to get my canopy to colaspse and a gust blew across the landing zone picked me up about five feet and dragged me for another twenty.

The canopy will generally not drag you if it's in full flight above your head. The moment you pull a toggle and present the bottom skin to the wind, it's no longer a wing, it's a sail or a drag chute.

If you turn the canopy into the ground by pulling a toggle and holding it behind you then try to resist the wind, the wind will win. You've give the canopy the best chance to drag you on the ground that way.

If you pull the toggle, keep reeling it in and run after the canopy. Get be behind it if you can so it blows up against your legs. You can also run after it and step on the bridle after the canopy passes over and walk on it till you get to the canopy.

Good luck
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Pulled my right toggle to get my canopy to colaspse and a gust blew across the landing zone picked me up about five feet and dragged me for another twenty.

The canopy will generally not drag you if it's in full flight above your head. The moment you pull a toggle and present the bottom skin to the wind, it's no longer a wing, it's a sail or a drag chute.

If you turn the canopy into the ground by pulling a toggle and holding it behind you then try to resist the wind, the wind will win. You've give the canopy the best chance to drag you on the ground that way.

If you pull the toggle, keep reeling it in and run after the canopy. Get be behind it if you can so it blows up against your legs. You can also run after it and step on the bridle after the canopy passes over and walk on it till you get to the canopy.

Good luck

Thanks fo that !!!
I appreciate it!

Shhh I like watching people try and pull there canopy back to them with tension on the lines/risers:D:D:D:D:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::S
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

So how windy is too windy?

When you cannot go forward into the wind to land (landing backwards is no fun).

As a general rule I would rather land my canopy then land in one of these crappy skydiving planes with high winds.

That's no joke! One of the scariest moments I've ever had skydiving was landing in the plane while a front was pushing through. It was supposed to be my SCR jump too!!!!!!
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!

Good luck

also a good idea to disconnect your rsl just before making your final when its really windy so that you can have a clean cutaway should the wind drag you into a dangerous area(another jumper landing, runway, etc)

also a good idea to disconnect your rsl just before making your final when its really windy so that you can have a clean cutaway should the wind drag you into a dangerous area(another jumper landing, runway, etc)

Very good advice, and S.O.P. for tandem instructors. If I have any inkling of big wind issues on landing, whether solo or tandem, I unhook my RSL at 1000'.

Just make sure you hook it back up correctly before you pack.;)

There was an old saying in the 70's "If its to windy to pack it's to windy to jump". We found the obvious solution was pack inside.
My buddy Norm Hill and I were the only ones to jump on frozen Lake St.Clair for a party. We both did land and slides backwards. I asked him how many "Aw Shits" it was for him under canopy ? He smugly said "None All his were Mother fu**ers"

If you ever have to ask if it's too windy...then it's too windy.

Or it could be a newbie with only a handful of jumps trying to learn since they may not have a past reference to make an informed decisions.

If you see the "old timers" sitting out when it's windy, it's probably because they have jumped in those conditions when they were newbies(and immortal) and learned when it is to windy and when it is not.