f1racer696

jumping out of personal planes?

so i have a friend with a cessna 172 and we were just talking about me jumping out of his plane. does anyone know the laws on skydiving in a non designated DZ in California? i dont really think im gonna do it, i was just wondering. if like i jumped out and landed in the local highschool field or something like that. it would be kinda cool.

oh dude DUde DUDE BRO DUDE. omg DUDE! ummmmm. i forgot....

Dudeist Skydiver #61

Many threads here on this subject. In a nutshell, you need the land owners permission where you plan to land and the pilot need to talk to air traffic control prior to the jump. It is a good idea to file a NOTAM (Notice to airmen) but not required. If it is a highly populated area there is more then you will want to do to do it legally.

but like what would happen if i DID jump. im more interested in knowing the consequences more than what i need to legally do the jump

Best case scenario is you get out of your friend's plane without doing too much damage to it, and all those years of jump pilot training he's had are finally put to good use.

The spot's good and the parachute works...so you land spectacularly in front of who ever it is yer trying to impress and get the standard reward of a warm beer & a sloppy handjob.

Worst case scenario is you bugger up the bird, miss the exit point, malfunction the main and streamer the reserve into some power-lines across the highway...knocking out power to a major metropolitan area, and while hanging from the power line get hit by a bus...end up going through the windshield killing the diver who veers off the road and over a cliff killing all the nuns and orphans aboard.

So...to summarize: it's can be done and can be fun.

If ya fuck it up, you could get hurt or seriously dead...your friend will probably lose his ticket for a while if not forever depending on the severity of the pooch screwin'...and if ya have look look for advice on something like this, you're not ready to try it. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

haha. thanks Airtwardo for that worst case scenario picture in my head. yeah, im not really planning on trying it... any time soon at least. i would guess i dont have enough jumps for that. technically, it works. the landing area is huge. and its pretty much in my friends back yard, so i could land then just book it to his house.

im not really trying to impress anyone in this maneuver. i just think it would be fun. haha

thanks for all the replies

oh dude DUde DUDE BRO DUDE. omg DUDE! ummmmm. i forgot....

Dudeist Skydiver #61

but like what would happen if i DID jump. im more interested in knowing the consequences more than what i need to legally do the jump

Best case scenario is you get out of your friend's plane without doing too much damage to it, and all those years of jump pilot training he's had are finally put to good use.

The spot's good and the parachute works...so you land spectacularly in front of who ever it is yer trying to impress and get the standard reward of a warm beer & a sloppy handjob.

Worst case scenario is you bugger up the bird, miss the exit point, malfunction the main and streamer the reserve into some power-lines across the highway...knocking out power to a major metropolitan area, and while hanging from the power line get hit by a bus...end up going through the windshield killing the diver who veers off the road and over a cliff killing all the nuns and orphans aboard.

If ya fuck it up, you could get hurt or seriously dead...your friend will probably lose his ticket for a while if not forever depending on the severity of the pooch screwin'...and if ya have look look for advice on something like this, you're not ready to try it. ;)

That is not what you would have said 30 years ago!!!

That is not what you would have said 30 years ago!!!

No...I've 'always' said if ya have to get random advice on how to do goofy shit, ya might wanna wait until you can figure it out on yer own. ;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

To you? Nothing. To the pilot, he can have his license revoked.

Not true. It is a civil violation of the FAA regulations that can result in enforcement action against the jumper and pilot. The jumper can be fined by the FAA and any certificates he has can be revoked (as well as the pilots). There have also been cases where local police have brought criminal charges like reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct against the jumper. And, if you don't have permission of the landowner, you could also get hit with a trespass charge.

For more about FAA authority and regulations, see an article I wrote for The Ranch web site when I was S&TA several years ago. It is "Article 13, FAA Regulations Applied" at http://theblueskyranch.com/STA.php.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

yes i know some jumpplanes have that kind of doors, but is that really a stock door?
isnt that a homemade door just to make it more suitable for skydiving?

i dont see a reason for someone buying a plane for personal use to choose that kind of door.
maybe a coolfactor B|

yes i know some jump planes have that kind of doors, but is that really a stock door?
isn't that a homemade door just to make it more suitable for skydiving?

i dont see a reason for someone buying a plane for personal use to choose that kind of door.
maybe a coolfactor B|

Homemade door?
Hardly!

If a licensed Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic (Aircraft Maintenance Engineer in Canada) installs an upward-hinging door on a (certified) Cessna, it must include paperwork for a Supplementary Type Certificate.
Only the very latest (as in so new that the first production will be delivered next year) Cessna 156(?) Skycatcher comes stock with an upward-hinging door.
Only a few other production airplanes come stock with upward-hinging doors (eg. Piper Cub).
If that Piper Cub is on floats, the upward-hinging door makes it easier to hop out and tie onto a dock.
And some pilots just enjoy flying around with the wind in their hair.

does the plane have a "jumpdoor"?
stock doors open like the doors on a car, right? so that means pushing the door against the airflow.
i guess it can be done but what if the rigg gets stuck in the door when climbing out?

The door of a 172 is easily removed. There is an STC authorizing flight with door removed. No problem. Getting the pilot to agree to remove the seat is another matter. BTDT. ;)
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

John, I believe you are correct that the pilot is required to wear a bail-out rig. The seat removed is a nicitie (sp?) that I did not enjoy. I wouldn't want to do it with both the seat and door in place.

We took the door off because I hired the 172 for a day, back in '92, for $80. The pilot preferred to have the door off to protect it. I wanted it off for ease of exit. We made 11 jumps. It was not a bad day. ;)

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73