jf951

3 lockign stows (yes i have used search!)

so i just got an awesome new rig but the Dbag has 3 locking stows...2 off to the side and one RIGHT in the MIDDLE, what sequence should i use? how should i rout it around the center one...
its a Jav. odyssey J1KS container....if that makes any difference

joey

ps its a crazy tight fit into the Dbag...the rubber bands on the locking stows are REALLLLLYYY tight...would that cause bag lock should i look for other rubber bands or try to get a smaller pack volume?
Jump more, Bitch less.

From the manual on Sunpath website.

Mate the locking stows with the
suspension lines to close the mouth of
the bag. Center locking stow, to be
stowed first (FIG. 5).
During this part of the packing
procedure always make sure that the
rubber bands used for the locking stows
are strong and in good condition. The
weight of the canopy inside the bag
comes to bear on these locking stows
when the canopy is lifted off the jumper's
back during deployment and a broken
locking stow at this point may result in
an out-of-sequence deployment.
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!

Re: 'crazy tight fit'

new to you rig.....
main fits really tight...

sounds like the classic prelude to " I better get a SMALLER canopy" ," since this container won't carry the one i have".....:S[:/]

WHAt size Main ?? is the Rig designed for????...Did it COME with the main??/ or are you trying to fit Your current canopy into it???

is the rig new?? or second HAnd??
either way ,, it Should come with an OWNERS' manual....
good luck...

jmy

>.2 off to the side and one RIGHT in the MIDDLE, what sequence should i use?

Center right left or center left right.

>would that cause bag lock should i look for other rubber bands or try to
>get a smaller pack volume?

1) Learn packing tricks to make the canopy pack up tighter
2) Try packing in a humid climate to see if that makes a difference (if so there may be other tricks you can try)
3) If you still can't make it fit, go to the next size larger container.

So how do you split the lines? Are the right lines inserted into the band from the right, and vice-versa for the left lines? I'm having a hard time picturing this.

I, too, jump Javelins. I route the lines out of the bag just to the right of the center grommet and stow the lines center, right, left.

To the OP, you can download the container manual at the Sunpath website. Check it out.

- Dan G

Joey,

I have a Jav and I do the MIDDLE locking stow first. Your lines will naturally 'go' to the right or left due to the way you stowed the first stow. So, if the lines are headed toward the left, do your left locking stow. (and vice versa if they are toward the right. Then, continue to stow on the last vacant locking stow.

Hope that makes sense.
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

I'll try explaining it different seeing that my first attempt was a complete failure. [:/]

Ok, so as the lines come out of the dbag, most people group them together to one side of the center grommet & then make the first stow. The way I do it (the guy I bought the rig off suggested it & it made some sense at the time) is to split the right side lines to the right of the center grommet and the left side lines to the left of the center grommet, pull the rubber band through the center grommet & then make a stow as usual.

If that doesn't make sense, I guess I'll have to take a picture.

I'll try explaining it different seeing that my first attempt was a complete failure. [:/]

Ok, so as the lines come out of the dbag, most people group them together to one side of the center grommet & then make the first stow. The way I do it (the guy I bought the rig off suggested it & it made some sense at the time) is to split the right side lines to the right of the center grommet and the left side lines to the left of the center grommet, pull the rubber band through the center grommet & then make a stow as usual.

If that doesn't make sense, I guess I'll have to take a picture.

I put about 100 jumps on a VortexII packing it like that. I'm no rigging expert but I never had any problems.

... split the right side lines to the right of the center grommet and the left side lines to the left of the center grommet, pull the rubber band through the center grommet & then make a stow as usual.
reply]

If I am picturing this correctly you have half of the lines on each side of the rubber bands and then join them to stow in one direction through the same rubber band?

I don't see a problem with it. We use rubber bands because they are inexpensive and usually break if needed.

I just don't see a benefit either. It also seems like there would be added risk of the slider moving around while you are splitting the lines. You could control this taking your time but I am often packing in a hurry and don't need the extra step.

Just my opinion as it obviously works so far.

"... this ain't a Nerf world."

If you're saying one set of lines on one side of the rubber band, and one set of lines on the other side, I'd tend to not recommend that. Once you start treating left and right line groups differently, you increase the chances of getting them asymmetric, affecting the slider position, and having one set of lines release sooner than the other (which can cause off-heading and turning openings.) Probably not a big deal, but also probably not doing anything good for you.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it. This is what I'm doing, glad I could finally explain in a way that made sense. And again, sorry for jacking the thread OP.

I'll try packing without splitting for a good number of jumps & see how I go. I'm still learning here so I'm trying different stuff out as I learn it from experienced people and seeing if it makes any difference.

I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that by splitting the lines like that, the dbag would be more balanced as the final locking stow was being released because all the force would not be applied to one side of the center grommet. What I mean is that it's actually symmetrical this way rather than being asymmetrical if I route all the lines to one side. With a 4 grommet dbag it'd obviously be a waste of time but with a center grommet there's at least some (again, possibly mistaken) logic there.

I am very careful with the lines when I'm splitting them not to mess with the pack job or move the slider around at all. I do get off heading openings but no quick slider-down-ish ones so, as BillV suggested, I may be contributing to this by doing different things with each side of lines.

It would be more useful to concentrate on making the packjob neater, than "splitting the lines". After all, the bag gets pulled off the canopy, and only afterward the canopy starts inflating, so "splitting the lines" does NOTHING short of leaving a possibility of a whole riser side lineover if you are super good at fucking shit up :)

I am a fan of not just doing things, but of figuring out WHY it's being done, and trying to think of possible outcomes. Just because something works, and has been working for a long time "for someone" does not mean it's the right or the best or the only way to do it. It doesn't mean it's wrong either...

I understand your point and by that token, I was given a reason why this was done and applied it to my packing because it seemed to make sense to me (not that I'm right of course!). I've picked up/tried several other "tricks" for packing off more experienced people based on their description of the purpose & affect of those "tricks". I like to try them out to see what the affect is & then decide whether I want to continue doing the "trick". I actually have concentrated on making my pack job neater and have changed my bagging technique around a little to use the PD method of picking up the pack job and sliding the dbag under the canopy. I've also changed the bagging method in another way which has made my pack jobs neater & more consistent. Point is that the split lines thing isn't the whole of my packing technique (if you could call it that at all!) but something I was looking for further information on in order to do just what you've suggested which is to understand what possible outcomes I may not have thought of.

Another example is laying the cocooned canopy gently onto the ground rather than winding up & dumping it. I'm gentle with my canopy in order to keep the lines where I want them.

If in doubt – ask random internet people your local rigger and/or experienced packer(s)

yeah, i figured as much. i just got the rig and the canopy is pretty much brand new so i've been practice packing it. my local DZ is about an hour and a half away and my cypres is in right now so i wont be jumping it for another 3 weeks, obviously its not urgent so i decided to give my riggers ear a break and just see what he says when i finally make it out there

btw thanx tia! thats kinda what i've been doing
and in responce to ur lower post (likestojump) i agree, simple is best im not really feeling the whole splitting the lines idea :| thanx for the feed back none the less tho, to those who posted that!
Jump more, Bitch less.