skymiles

A Not so Happy New Year at Skydive San Diego

This past Saturday, in touching tribute to Andy Witcomb in recognition for his last day as DZO of Skydive San Diego (SSD), the staff presented him with a framed picture of all the staff signed by everyone. However, it was not a time of celebration because everyone knew that Andy’s leaving was not by choice. In a slick business maneuver, Andy was forced out by Allen “Buzz” Fink, the previous DZO. Ever since the news broke about a month ago the morale at the DZ hit rock bottom.

Two years ago, Andy bought the civilian skydiving operation (AFF, tandems, experienced skydiving) from Buzz Fink. However, it was not a complete transfer of ownership; Buzz Fink remained in control of the DZ in general, the multi-million dollar military contract, and he took a cut of income generated by Andy.

Before Andy, SSD was a dusty tandem-mill operation with little regard for experienced jumpers. Our on-site rigger was driven off the DZ, and at times the packing area was simply a dirty tarp on the sun baked ground. Moreover, most of the jump masters had left the DZ in a dispute with Buzz Fink, which explains why many instructors at Elsinore and Perris are from San Diego. However, once Andy Witcomb took charge, the DZ was steadily transformed into a world class operation. He bought new student and tandem rigs, built a huge covered packing area with TVs for the fun jumpers, instituted experienced jumper loads to keep the plane turning, built a bunkhouse and a sundeck with BBQ pit, irrigated the landing zone, installed flush toilets, organized boogies and night jumps, and much more.

Now that the DZ was a thriving operation, Buzz Fink decided to take it back. It doesn’t seem to matter to him that Andy poured his heart and soul into making the DZ a success, and that he mortgaged his house to do it. It doesn’t seem to matter to Buzz Fink that he has deprived Andy and his family of their livelihood. Buzz Fink’s action may be legal, but that doesn’t make it right. There is a saying “it’s just business, it’s not personal”. That may be true when referring to the competition, but when it’s a business partner, you bet it’s personal.

I also take it personally when it’s a friend and fellow skydiver who has done more for skydiving in San Diego than anyone before him. I spend a lot of money skydiving, and my money is not going to line the pockets of someone who thinks his conduct is acceptable. There are many other skydivers at SSD who feel the same way, and some, like me, have decided to take our business elsewhere. Fortunately, for us Elsinore and Perris are not too far.

Lastly, I would like to thank Andy for all his hard work – it did not go unnoticed. I think I can safely speak for most everyone at SSD; you are a man of integrity and have gained our utmost respect as a friend, skydiver and DZO. Andy, I will jump with you anytime, anywhere. I’m honored to know you.

Blue skies and best wishes for the future,

Phil

It would certainly be good for anyone with good moral and ethical values NOT to associate themselves with DZOs of Skydive San Diego, Skydive Las Vegas, ASC in Cedartown and Pell City, and Skydive Pennridge, as well as a certain demo jump saboteur in Pell City. :|

There, no personal attacks, well not directly. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

While PA's are out, it's very clear from what many posters have already said about that matter that in the "court of public opinion" Mr. Fink (interesting name he has) is guilt of serious travesty. And by all accounts the public will respond w/ their pocketbooks.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

No personal attacks. Your one warning. (And no, it doesn't matter if the person is a DZO, or an evil villian, or a New York Yankee. You can't attack any other poster here.)

Sorry... I didn't realize any of those I named were posters on here...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

One possible silver lining: this looks like the best possible resumé addition a guy could have: "Took borderline-failing sport portion of dropzone business and made it so successful the previous owner bought it back."

(Now, if that phrasing sounds too polite for some peoples' ears, my explanation is that it's bad luck to speak ill on a resumé.)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

He's got over 100 posts, on a variety of topics, over the last 3 years.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

No personal attacks. Your one warning. (And no, it doesn't matter if the person is a DZO, or an evil villian, or a New York Yankee. You can't attack any other poster here.)

Specific Forum Policies

No Personal attacks, Flaming and Trolling.
Personal attacks and hate posts will not be tolerated in any forum. Personal attacks on another user are a great way to earn some time off

so, why are personal attacks allowed on me then? does the "in any form" mean "allowed if we don't like you and we think you deserve it"

are we allowed to write a review of the San Diego dropzone in the DZ review section?

Please tell Andy good luck in his ventures. This community is so small it is a wonder why some DZO's make the decisions they do.

I know one DZ that will not see a cent of my hard earned cash, but tell Andy I will come visit when he opens up.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

>so, why are personal attacks allowed on me then?

They are not. If you feel you are being attacked, PM a moderator and we will look at the thread. See the Rules link at the top of this page. Also note that trolling is prohibited.

>are we allowed to write a review of the San Diego dropzone in the DZ
> review section?

Yes. If it contains grossly incorrect information or attacks, though, it will be deleted.

What people fail to realize is that Andy chose to invest money in a business that he did not own. That was his choice. A good analogy would be someone who invests thousands of dollars to upgrade their apartment unit only to be evicted by the landlord that owns the property.

A lot of people can learn from this incident. Do not invest a dime unless you own the business or property.

I agree that what happened to Andy was fucked up. I remember what a shitty dropzone San Diego used to be before Andy fixed it up. I wish him luck and I hope that he makes better decisions before investing his time and money into another project.

What I don’t understand is why Andy would invest money in a dropzone that he didn’t own? The lease was only 2 years! If the lease contracts were handled properly, perhaps Andy could have been compensated somehow for the money he invested. It just doesn’t make any sense.

UntamedDOG

What people fail to realize is that Andy chose to invest money in a business that he did not own. That was his choice....

Like most who frequent SSD, I am saddened by the departure of Andy. He is a stellar guy that did accomplish great things at SSD. I have made it clear to him that I will gladly help him in any way I can when he starts his own DZ. He obviously has great vision, and sets high standards for DZ operation, so that should serve him well building a new DZ.

I have dealt with both Andy, and Buzz over the last several years. I have found them both to be upright men who appeared to me to be following their conscience when making decisions. I haven't spent large amounts of time with either of them, but they both have earned my trust and confidence.

I told Buzz that I felt like my parents had just announced they were getting a divorce... maybe not a fair analogy, but it describes my feelings over this. I don't see it the way many of those who have expressed their opinion here do (some who are apparently doing so without any knowledge of the circumstances beyond what has been posted to this site...), and I see no moral imperative to take sides. Rather, a significant amount of the comments here border on slander, based on assumptions and hearsay... Buzz has taken a lot of abuse over the years in the aftermath of the AAD requirement that so infuriated many... is this more of the same?

What I don’t understand is why Andy would invest money in a dropzone that he didn’t own? The lease was only 2 years! If the lease contracts were handled properly, perhaps Andy could have been compensated somehow for the money he invested. It just doesn’t make any sense.

UntamedDOG

I am not privy to the dialogue that transpired between these two during the original, or the recent negotiations to extend the lease... but I do understand that Buzz paid for half the cost on the DZ improvements as they were installed, and is to pay Andy for the other half as part of the lease agreement in the event it wasn't extended.

I don't see how trying to hurt Buzz will honor Andy, no matter how much I'd like to see Andy stay, nor will I use Andys departure as an excuse to savage Buzz for something that was agreed upon by both parties... Knowing the class and integrity of Andy, I'm having a hard time believing he would relish the demise of the DZ he grew... YMMV

Russ

Generally, it is your choice; will your life serve as an example... or a warning?

but I do understand that Buzz paid for half the cost on the DZ improvements as they were installed, and is to pay Andy for the other half as part of the lease agreement in the event it wasn't extended.

Well, I've heard the exact opposite from people in the know at SSD. I was told that Andy did not receive any compensation for his investments. Maybe Andy or Buzz could jump on here and tell their side of the story to clear things up once and for all. I hope Andy was taken care of but from what people are telling me, it sounds as though Buzz did nothing of the sort.

Well, I don't know either of these guys personally, but it sounds like Andy got a low-risk lesson in how to run a DZ and I expect that he's going to come out of this just fine. Sometimes it costs you some pain and effort to get established and it sounds like Andy's gotten through that phase and is ready to go it alone. If you look at the positive side of it, SD now has a decent DZ (facilities wise, at least) and a new DZO that wants to repeat the process. If the hatin' ruins all that effort, the skydiving community is the loser. If the local jumpers want to sacrifice it all, so be it. The future may be that Buzz runs SSD into the ground and it folds while Andy starts a new DZ and prospers, or they could both do well. Good luck to both of you is my opinion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for all those concerned, Andy will be starting a new dropzone.......Details in the near future.

I'll be there when he does, but where would he put it?

If he stays in San Diego, I would guess Brown Field...

Is a chicken omelette redundant?

Moreover, most of the jump masters had left the DZ in a dispute with Buzz Fink, which explains why many instructors at Elsinore and Perris are from San Diego.

SD locals: Does anybody know which instructors stayed, which went to Perris and which went to Elsinore?

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

SD locals: Does anybody know which instructors stayed, which went to Perris and which went to Elsinore?

NONE of the instructors who were there when I started in 2001 are still at SDSD. Except for Adam, who is now a jump plane pilot.

THANK YOU Phil. Your post was accurate, fair, and expressed my views and emotions well. I, too, will follow Andy wherever he goes. (It is a 2 hour drive to his new dz, but I'll be making a weekend of it as often as I can! I will also be there to sweat and slave over making sure he has as much help as he needs to get it up and running by February.)

the angry hobbit