javelin1

wind drift indicators

Yeah take off the tape and maybe about 8 inches unrolled.:)

Matt

At airshows I always use to throw them right over the LZ and visually 'walk back' the spot as one would do over a dropzone.

Then one time...

No wind day and they were coming down through the performance box over the runway.

Lead flyer on 'The French Connection' act sees them @ 100' over the runway and decides to do an impromptu 'Ribbon Cut'

They were the older commercial made WDI's with a metal rod...dinged up the bird a bit, and took quite a few cocktails that night to smooth things over! :)

From then on...I throw them a few miles away and just overlay the distance & direction to the show LZ.

I also now use the bulk roll and measure out and make my own. Instead of a rod...I use a paper drinking straw filled to the proper weight with sand.

Better chance of not causing any problems...& bio-degradable.

~Cocktails in the hotel bar can get a bit pricey! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Our DZ is static line, we still use WDI's for all student operations. The closest vad wind station is more than 30 miles away, and alot of times some of the information is missing at lower altitudes. We have landed more than one load because of what the WDI indicated, even with moderate winds on the ground.:)

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Hi Jim,

If ya pull the tape off

Back in the '60's I actually watched a dufus toss a WDI with the tape still holding it closed. :S

The sun will not rise on the day that I say that I have seen it all.!!!!!!! But I'm getting close. :P

JerryBaumchen

I was an 'I' working for Dave Verner at the old Archway back in the 70's... anyone knowing Dave will attest, applying the word 'frugal' to him would've been listed in Websters as 'Understatement' defined.

First load every morning, Dave would both be flying and throw the WDI himself...:D

He knew the DZ conditions SO WELL that he'd reverse the normal WDI procedure, and throw it over the spot to make it land back at the target!

Landing usually within spittin' distance of the peas...we must have used the SAME wind drift indicator for 3 months one summer!~B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~