bowbender45

Full Face vs Open Face Helmet Question?

Hello Everyone

I have just completed my civilian cross-over training and got my A license. I have jumped militray free-fall for several years now, but really wanted to start jumping at my local DZ. My question is what are the big differences in the full and open face helmets? I am leaning towards the Mamba Bonehead full face. Any inputs would be great....Thanks

Smart ass answer: one covers your face, the other doesn't.

Serious answer: here's some things to consider.

I jumped an open-face helmet exclusively (5 years) till I got a FreeZR2 full-face this spring; now I jump the full-face almost exclusively.

When it's colder (as it was here last weekend) the full-face wins for keeping you comfortable at altitude - not having wind whipping your face is a big bonus in staying warm. Conversely, when it's really hot, the full-face is more uncomfortable in the plane (typically I only wear my helmet till 1,000 feet, then put it back on just before jump run). For coach jumps I sometimes choose the open face helmet because it allows my expressions to be more readily "seen" by students.

Other things to consider - field of vision - depending on the full-face helmet your field of vision may be somewhat restricted. Definitely try them on to see what feels comfortable for you.

Visor style - does it open or is it fixed? Personally I want one that opens so I can open it under canopy; others want one that doesn't open at all.

Fit - getting fit right can be more of a challenge with a full-face as there are more points that it needs to fit (side to side, front to back, top of head to chin, etc.). I'd highly recommend trying several styles/sizes to see what feels/fits right for your face and not just relying on sizing charts. I have a freakishly large head and have found that only the Mamba and FreeZR2 fit comfortably, and for me, the FreeZR2's fit is more to my liking (nothing against Mamba, I just didn't find it the right style for me).

I like having both as an option; one thing you could consider is getting a cheap open-face like the ProTec and a full-face so you have options.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

>My question is what are the big differences in the full and open face helmets?

Full face:
Quieter, harder to hear commands/warnings
Can fog and render you blind (esp. ones with visors that don't open)
Slightly better protection for your face (will stop bugs, not feet)
Much better protection for your chin

Open face:
Cheaper
Easier to fit
Better impact protection (generally)
Needs goggles
Better hearing but louder overall

It has been discussed several times in the past. Do a search.

Thanks for the help!! I will not waste any more of this forums "Band Width"
Great First Experience

Actually, I DID give you a great helpful hint. I told you how to find the answer to nearly any question for which you desire an answer. It's all here in this forum. Just about anything you can think of, has been discussed before. And the search feature is how to find those discussions.

The problem you encounter is that a topic like this has been discussed so many times before, that everyone is tired of saying the same things over and over again. Thus, you'll get little response, and won't get as much information as is actually available.

So, what you really need to do is a search, to find all the info. Try it.

For example, you can find these threads:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3640129;#3576775

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3593922;#3593290
See if those two threads don't help you out.

And in the future, use the search feature first. Then if you still don't find what you need, ask the question. I have hereby, with this advice, been the most helpful person to you yet in this thread. You just need to quit being so sensitive, and actually practice what I recommend.

I'm not going to do the look-up's for you in the future. That's your job. I did it for you here only to demonstrate for you the usefulness of my advice. I suggest you take it. Go forth, search, and become wise.

Search: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search;

You're welcome.

The search function is a great tool and should be used by all... but since I am here I will give my imput.

I use a full face bonehead mamba in the winter and when I am doing static line JMing, helps for spotting.

I like open face for the summer time because there is something about the wind in your face that is just nice.

Just the way I like it, you should try both and see what works best for you. The Bonehead mamba is a great full face.
John - D.S 1313

"I'll jump it, Np. It's all good"

It's true that 'nearly' every question about any skydiving related topic has probably already been asked on dropzone.com. So there is a lot to be found by searching, but that definitly doesn't mean people shouldn't ask a question just because it's been asked before. Then as someone has already pointed out, you may as well shut down this site and have it purely here for reference sake so people can search without any conversation going on.

New people come into the sport all the time and the sport progresses. A question that has been asked before may get different responses each time it gets asked because different people are replying, different experiences are being conveyed, different technology is being used, and all in a sport that grows and changes constantly. Hence the need to re-ask previous questions.

Maybe what would be more helpful is to tell the person to use the search function as well as giving your opinion on the subject so something constructive is added.

Just my 2c

Anyway, back to the OP's question. Even though im a freeflyer and generally only use an open faced helmet I agree with what others have said in that both have their pro's and con's.

Open face helmets often provide more visability and a better field of view. Full faced helmets on the other hand may provide slightly better protection from a possible kick to the face on fs jumps (come to think of it that can happen of freefly jumps from time to time to B|). They're also quiter (not sure if that's a good or bad thing?) In my opinion it's better for new jumpers to use open face helmets because coaches are able to read more from their expressions. This is true for coaches wearing open face helmets too imo because of how much can get communicated back and forth in the sky through nothing more than a persons expression or lip synching.

Perhaps you could ask around to borrow one of each type to see for yourself which you like best. Obviously it wont fit as well as one made for you, but it will at least give you an idea of the two styles.

I use a full face bonehead mamba in the winter and when I am doing static line JMing, helps for spotting.

I jump both, but always wear open face when JMing, so I can communicate with the student. Doesn't the full face interfere with that?
Do you like the full face for spotting because of less wind?

I have jumped both and much prefer the full face helmet. I haven't had any problems with fogging, but the few times it has started to fog up under canopy I just lift the visor. I don't wear it in the plane and only put it on for take-off and again on jump run.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

It's true that 'nearly' every question about any skydiving related topic has probably already been asked on dropzone.com. So there is a lot to be found by searching, but that definitly doesn't mean people shouldn't ask a question just because it's been asked before. Then as someone has already pointed out, you may as well shut down this site and have it purely here for reference sake so people can search without any conversation going on.

New people come into the sport all the time and the sport progresses. A question that has been asked before may get different responses each time it gets asked because different people are replying, different experiences are being conveyed, different technology is being used, and all in a sport that grows and changes constantly. Hence the need to re-ask previous questions.

Maybe what would be more helpful is to tell the person to use the search function as well as giving your opinion on the subject so something constructive is added.

Just my 2c

Anyway, back to the OP's question. Even though im a freeflyer and generally only use an open faced helmet I agree with what others have said in that both have their pro's and con's.

Open face helmets often provide more visability and a better field of view. Full faced helmets on the other hand may provide slightly better protection from a possible kick to the face on fs jumps (come to think of it that can happen of freefly jumps from time to time to B|). .

It seems the VFS folks are using full face helmets these days.

www.uspanationals.com/results/photos/1452.jpg

www.uspanationals.com/results/photos/1351.jpg

www.uspanationals.com/results/photos/1451.jpg

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I like the less wind when spotting especially from a C130 moving 130kts in winter, it is cold.

As far as communications go, I have not had a problem. Once I start spotting the commands are 2min, 1min and 30secs. All these are just hand signals. If I see a problem that I need to say something the mamba face shield opens up easily enough. At stand by I stand up and face the jumpers open my face shield and give the go command.

Even with an open face helmet in a C130 it is hard to project your voice to some right next to you. So all jumpers should be able to pay attention to the JM and understand both verbal and visual commands.
John - D.S 1313

"I'll jump it, Np. It's all good"

I got a Z1 and love it. Have been jumping in colder weather lately which was the main reason for getting it. Does not restrict my field of view. Does not fog up. You can open the face shield with just 2 fingers (this is what makes the Z1 superior to other helmets imo) or at least good for me as I open the face shield as soon as I'm under canopy. Landed with the shield closed on my first jump with it and didn't like that I couldn't feel/hear the wind speed.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----