tumbleroll

Turbo fan goggles for skydiving - silly idea?

Hey folks,

I'm thinking of buying some ESS Profile TurboFan googles for skydiving.

I've struggled for months to find a pair of googles that I like. Previous pairs that I've owned have tended to fog on the way up to altitude. My new kroops also got foggy during my landing approach last weekend, so I ditched them. Anyway, I'm quite frustrated!:P and am now considering investing in a pair of fan googles to ensure the fogging issue doesn't happen again!

Apparently the turbo fan goggies are used by soldiers in the military. They are powered by an AA battery which draws fresh airflow in through the lower edge of the goggle frame and forces humid air out the top at around 15,000 rpm. According to the product blurb, even when perspiration or temperatures are extreme, this two-speed system will exhaust humidity and prevent lens fogging for over 150 hours of continuous operation (low speed).

I was wondering if anyone had any experience jumping with fan googles? Or if they thought it would be a good idea? If they think these goggles will be capable of withstanding the rigors of freefall and if they might solve my fogging issues?

Cheers! ~~ Tumbleroll

Hey folks,

I'm thinking of buying some ESS Profile TurboFan googles for skydiving.

I've struggled for months to find a pair of googles that I like. Previous pairs that I've owned have tended to fog on the way up to altitude. My new kroops also got foggy during my landing approach last weekend, so I ditched them. Anyway, I'm quite frustrated!:P and am now considering investing in a pair of fan googles to ensure the fogging issue doesn't happen again!

Apparently the turbo fan goggies are used by soldiers in the military. They are powered by an AA battery which draws fresh airflow in through the lower edge of the goggle frame and forces humid air out the top at around 15,000 rpm. According to the product blurb, even when perspiration or temperatures are extreme, this two-speed system will exhaust humidity and prevent lens fogging for over 150 hours of continuous operation (low speed).

I was wondering if anyone had any experience jumping with fan googles? Or if they thought it would be a good idea? If they think these goggles will be capable of withstanding the rigors of freefall and if they might solve my fogging issues?

Cheers! ~~ Tumbleroll

Link?

Think they will work for skiing?

Don't wear your goggles on the way to altitude and take them off under canopy,spend the money on jumps.

Yeah dude-- I second that. Just put your goggles on either just before, or right when jumprun starts. Then, once you deploy and check out your canopy and other traffic, take your goggles down so they are hanging around your neck. Canopy flight is much more enjoyable without those things on your face anyway!

I am just responding to the last post and not aresye directly.

Speaking of greater field of view I wonder how much is sacrificed in goggles with enough structure to house a fan and battery(s). I too vote for removing them under canopy if they are fogging. Mine don't normally fog up if I relax my breathing a little.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

>They are powered by an AA battery which draws fresh airflow in
>through the lower edge of the goggle frame and forces humid air out
> the top at around 15,000 rpm.

No matter how fast that fan is, the 120mph air in freefall will give you even more.

(Almost) no one fogs up in freefall; they fog up in the plane. Solution - don't wear goggles in the plane.

I was issued a pair and only wore them a few times to confirm that I didn't like them. I found them bulky and depending on the width of your helmet, they might not fit snuggly against your face if the goggles are wider than the helmet. Save your money.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

http://www.opticsplanet.net/ess-profile-turbofan-goggles.html

For those that asked – here is a link to the product.

Yeah so I put on my goggles right before I jump, but they usually fog just before I leave the plane and I often find myself giving them a final wipe with a lens cloth I keep tucked up my sleeve. Occasionally they fog while I’m under canopy as well. I wear a helmet so it’s not always a simple thing to remove them if this does happen. I thought the turbofan might solve some of these issues.

I’d also add that the turbofans have, apparently, much better clarity than other goggles, they are also more resilient and have a much wider field of vision.

Point taken about the shape and bulkiness, I was worried about this and wasn’t sure if they would fit properly under my helmet. I’m not too worried about cost, but it does seem rather pointless buying an expensive pair of goggles if I won't be able to wear them!:(

I wear my googles under an open face helmet. On jumprun I put my googles on, put my helmet on and then raise my googles onto my forehead until it the group before mine is getting into the door. The few seconds I have them on my eyes before I leave the plane they either do not fog at all or only a little. Freefall takes care of slight fogging. When I deploy, after my canopy is open and I have cleared traffic, my routine is: collapse slider, unstow breaks, remove googles (this time pulling them down past my chin, which allows me to flare the canopy at the same time).
Other option would be spend the money on a full face helmet that has a raisable visor.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

I put on my goggles right before I jump, but they usually fog just before I leave the plane and I often find myself giving them a final wipe with a lens cloth I keep tucked up my sleeve. Occasionally they fog while I’m under canopy as well. I wear a helmet so it’s not always a simple thing to remove them if this does happen.

Once you put your goggles and helmet on before jump run, keep your face near an air vent somewhere to maintain circulation so fog doesn't form. If you have no air vent, you can pull the bottom edge of the goggles away from your face to get fresh air underneath to clear the fog. Once the door comes open, there will be enough air circulating that they'll be okay. Likewise in freefall. Under canopy I lift my goggles off my face and prop them up above my eyes on the forehead of my helmet, and I have a little parachute cord knot up there to help hold them in place.

those fan goggles sound ridiculous. the best goggles i have found are called CurvZ. they are like sunglasses w/ a bit of foam on the side against your face. They are awesome! very minimal fogging in the plane, and they defog instantaneously when the door opens on jump run. I usually wear them all day as sunglasses around the DZ and the entire plane ride. check the out online, many people at my DZ use them, you will love them.

i know www.skydivestore.com has them

I don't like the look or feel of CurvZs to be honest.

In terms of clarity and resilience the turbofans are really second to none. They are also extremely lightweight and have a very wide field of vision. I see the turbo fan itself as a bonus extra, especially for the way up on the plane when my goggles tend to get foggy. IN fact they tick all of my boxes, except for the bulkiness, I'm not sure I could fit them under my helmet.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/ess-profile-turbofan-goggles.html

For those that asked – here is a link to the product.

please tell me you are not seriously considering wearing that?!

you will be mocked! Hasn't anyone told you by now that the whole skydiving thingie is like 90% looks the rest skill.

but seriously......dude!

99% of skydiving goggles on the market are cheap plastic throw-aways

the turbo-fans, on the other. are state of the art merchandise. In terms of clarity and resilience that are top of the range. They are even used by special forces soldiers in combat. I'm not saying that this necessarily makes them good skydiving goggles,but you speak about the 'coolness factor, and I reckon that's got to count for something. In fact, I think I've talked myself into getting a pair.

They are even used by special forces soldiers in combat

I don't know anyone who was issued them that wore them longer than it took to realize that they didn't like them. My guess is most are where mine are, sitting at the bottom of a tuff box full of gear taking up space.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

so you are willing to spend 150+ for a goggle??? no wonder company wants to charge over 2000 for a fucking container now days...

best goggle is the is the flex z and square one tunnel goggles..

i hate any hard plastic goggles (ie, Soarz, Birdz, Curvz), cuz you might find them snap in half on a jumprun....

and me thinks this guy is trolling...
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

No I'm not trolling, just looking for advice and feedback before I commit to buying a pair. Thanks for everyone's input. Thanks also for the recommendation of the square one tunnel goggles, will check them out.

You don't really seem like you're looking advice cause you aren't listening to the guy who has them and says they suck. What kind of goggles are you wearing now that they fog up? I wear flex-z goggles cause they are comfortable. Put some anti-fog shit on there if you have to, but mostly just hold them open/off your face before it's time to get out.

If you are wearing goggles with no vents in them it's no wonder they are fogging up. I haven't heard of anyone having goggles fog that badly under canopy. There is so much air moving around and coming through the goggle holes I don't know how that would happen.

BUT if that really is the case, I think a drill bit to add a few extra vent holes is a much better idea than wasting $150 on some goggles that are too bulky, look dumb and you just don't need.

That's my slightly crabby $0.02
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

"but they look rubbish' .. 'you will be mocked'

Wasn't really the type of feedback I was looking for. I want to enoy myself and have goggles that are fit for purpose. If people don't think I look 'cool', then thats their problem, not mine.

Anyway, I've received several private telegrams from people who have used them. Generally the feedback was positive, they have crystal clear clarity and are as resilient as anything on the market. Also, they keep the goggles de-dogged in the plane - which was my primary motivation in considering the puchase. Little concerned about bulkiness though, if they can't fit under my helmet they are no use to me.

yeh, my kroops fogged under canopy. First time it ever happened to me. I'm pretty sure they have vents but will check. Thanks fot the advice about the drill, might look to do something like that!