Guru312

Do you like the hot stuff?

I had breakfast with an old jumper friend last week. Some of you on the East Coast may know him. Terry Crowe is his name but most folks know him as TC. He's been jumping since the mid 60s when he was in UDT 21. He worked for Steve Snyder at ParaFlite for years, was an AFF instructor at Cross Keys, NJ, and jumped quite a bit at Pelicanland and Chambersburg.

I mention the above because of something we both did at breakfast which seems to be connected to jumping...somehow. We covered our eggs with black pepper. I mean covered to the point that they were black with black pepper granules. Terry has the habit of taking off the pepper shaker so he can get more on faster. I shake it on the normal way. He said taking the top off and pouring it on is easier and faster...and it doesn't make everyone around sneeze.

We talked about the many other jumpers we knew who covered their food with pepper, hot peppers or other spices like hot sauce. All of which we do. I get extra hot peppers when I buy a sub so I can snack on the peppers alone after the sub is gone.

I'm sure other people put hot on food but I've never seen anyone but other jumpers do it. I haven't done any survey but nearly all my jumper friends do the same, but maybe not to the extreme Terry and I do.

How about you folks? Do you have a craving hot and spicy stuff? Have you noticed other jumpers doing it? Do any of you have similar, strange, eating habits?

It must be our D4DR genes...or something similar.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Any time I hit a grocery store new to me, I check the hot sauce section. I have more sauces/marinades in my fridge then I have food.

All time favorite is Arizona Gunslinger. Not super hot, but goes on pizza, eggs, sandwiches. Their BBQ sauce is da bomb.

And they now have microwavable popcorn.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I love the hot stuff. Normal food with hot sauce or peppers, as well as thai, mexican and indian cuisine.
In fact, the only plant in my house that I've managed to keep alive is my habañero bush.
My favourite hot sauce is home-made and simple: Sliced habañero peppers with a touch of garlic juice in olive oil. Let sit for a minimum of 1 month before using, stirring on a regular basis.

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.

Hi Guru,

Terry has the habit of taking off the top of the pepper shaker so he can get more on faster.

I've been doing this for years. :P

I really do not know what other jumpers do; it really is their food & not mine.

Interesting observation though.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Once watched a non-jumper, who likes hot foods, with too much booze in him, drink a bottle of Tobasco. :S

PPS) Let me add that I thought this thread was going to be about women. B|

Hi Guru,

Terry has the habit of taking off the top of the pepper shaker so he can get more on faster.

I've been doing this for years. :P

I really do not know what other jumpers do; it really is their food & not mine.

Interesting observation though.

JerryBaumchen

Holy SHIT! :o

So THAT'S where I get it from!? :ph34r:

Been doin' the same thing as long as I can remember.

Somebody told me once that pepper doesn't breakdown inside ya, & just spices things up as it moves through.

Obviously the reason we need to keep a fresh supply pumpin' into pipeline! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I personally hate pepper and the like, but an instructor at the dz grows peppers in his back yard, very hot ones I hear, and he routinely brings bags out whenever he shows up. Most people swarm them and they're gone in a hurry.

I found that, for me, eating hot food like that inhibits my natural ability to stink up the plane, so I refrain from any and all spicy food on jump days :$

Gotta make my presence known!!

"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Got to be good if there's ten languages on the bottle.

I call it the "Rooster".

Knew exactly what you were describing without even opening the photos.:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I personally hate pepper and the like, but an instructor at the dz grows peppers in his back yard, very hot ones I hear, and he routinely brings bags out whenever he shows up. Most people swarm them and they're gone in a hurry.

I found that, for me, eating hot food like that inhibits my natural ability to stink up the plane, so I refrain from any and all spicy food on jump days :$

Gotta make my presence known!!

We all know you're there. If you would do like I do and eat Tim's peppers right outta the garden, it might do a cleansing job on your colon and let us survive the ride up with our olfactory nerves in tact.

So to the OP, yea I loves me the hot stuff. I love black pepper too and I'm not a smoker.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

Spicy greetings,

Found this one about ten years ago and use it daily.
It's got a good kick and afterburn.

I call it the "Rooster".
Ciao,
Mad Max

Everyone I know just calls it Sriracha, the last word of the name on the bottle.

Wonderful stuff, and even regular groceries carry it where I live.

Spicy greetings,

Found this one about ten years ago and use it daily.
It's got a good kick and afterburn.

I call it the "Rooster".
Ciao,
Mad Max

It's pretty good on meatloaf and chicken. Remember, if it doesn't burn twice it wasn't hot enough.
I'd guess it has something to do with endorphins.
peruse Mo Hotta Mo betta and you'll find all kinds of good stuff...

You can puree habenero in the blender then store it indefinately in the fridge (nothing will grow on it). I made scrambled eggs for some base buddies after an allnighter a few weeks back. I put a few drops in the egg batter.. They loved it.

I go super hot. My only hangup is sodium. That's why I like to use my own peppers, friends peppers, etc.

btw this belongs in bonfire

The Bonfire
Sit back, relax and vent yer angst! This is the place for non-skydiving related discussions. Politics, guns and religion and other sociological debates should be taken to the Speakers Corner please.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Hi John,

I was raised in England and as a consequence I don't trust any food that has flavor.

I arrived in England, for the first time, in Sep '61 & about two weeks later, four of us went down to London for the weekend.

I could not believe that anyone could make food so bland. :S

JerryBaumchen

The Bonfire
Sit back, relax and vent yer angst! This is the place for non-skydiving related discussions. Politics, guns and religion and other sociological debates should be taken to the Speakers Corner please.

Believe it or not, I put this thread here in the General Skydiving section of DZ.com because of what I emboldened, above. Or, more correctly, I didn't put it in The Bonfire because of what I highlighted.

From my perspective, what ever makes us want to jump out of airplanes may have a genetic component which, in itself, may have a connection to habits, compulsions and dietary desires.

Thanks for everyone who commented. From the statistically small response, compared to reads of the thread, I surmise that most jumpers don't use hot sauce, pepper and similar in the way that Terry and I do.

I guess I see jumping out of airplanes--and parachuting in general--in a broader sense than the thread police do...

I'll pay closer attention next time.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Only 5 Jumps but I have a hot sauce problem as well. 20+ bottles in the fridge at home, 5 or 6 in the fridge at work and I will wait to start my meal at a restraunt until the Tabasco shows up. I love that shit, can't enjoy a meal without some. I don't go for the extract sauces so much but a good hot habanero sauce....nothing better than dabbing a bit on the back of my hand for a quick burn...yes I have a problem haha. Iguana is my favorite, from Costa Rica and the Yucccatano or whatever shit is great, like a dollar a bottle at wally world, red kind is the best.

Oddly enough I have had wondered what makes some people enjoy hot food so much and whatever else they might have in common before, good post OP wherever it is. I actually feel quite strongly about it maybe we should take it to speakers corner?:P

How about you folks? Do you have a craving hot and spicy stuff? Have you noticed other jumpers doing it? Do any of you have similar, strange, eating habits?

It must be our D4DR genes...or something similar.

I grow Naga Morich and Red Savina Habanero's in my back yard. these are quite literally the hottest peppers in the world. Particularly the Naga Morich which has been clocked at 1.5 million scoville units. hotter even than the Bhut Jolokia which was recently declared the hottest in the world.

I make some of the most awesome hot sauce. I have
friends clamoring for the stuff every year.

Yep. I like the hot stuff.

black pepper on eggs? Hogie hot peppers?
these things are even remotely hot.
yer gonna have to do better than those if ya wanna claim that you like hot stuff ;)

You guys are all lightweights B|
__

My mighty steed