kkoepke

First timer

Hey, I just signed up here. I got a little cocky the other day and told a friend I could do anything, so she said she doubted I could fly. I remembered that I'd actually wanted to go skydiving and eventually get my hands on a wingsuit(IF I've got the cajones, lol) sometime down the road. Just wondering, the massive amount of articles and links and everything's got me all overwhelmed. I'm not really sure what I should do about my first time jumping. I'm going to this coming summer, but I'm unsure as to how much it will cost, should i take some four hour class, should it be tandem, static line, AFF....? Lots of options. Anyways, thanks for helping, if you do.

Well, the Learn To Skydive articles from the home page are a good place to start.

The United States Parachute Association has a similar set of "How to get started" pages on it's website.

AFF or static line is a very subjective question. The "right" answer is different for different people.

Tandem is often geared toward those who only want to do it once, although some places require a tandem as an intro jump if you go AFF.

Your profile doesn't say where you live. Fill out that part and I will guess that someone near you will say "Go to XXX DZ, I jump there and it's great".

Of course someone else will then say "No, XXX sucks, I go to YYY and it's a lot better.":P

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I'm unsure as to how much it will cost, should i take some four hour class, should it be tandem, static line, AFF....?

Being pretty new myself I understand your overwhelmation. Everyone will have a different opinion on the best method of training for your first jump. My opinion is that there is no right or wrong way to make your first jump. Tandem training is maybe 20-30 minutes and you're strapped to an expert during your jump which includes freefall. That's about $200 and up depending on where you live. IAD (instructor aided deployment) and static line require a first jump course that could be as long as eight hours, and it costs approximately the same as a tandem, and since you're jumping solo, you are the one totally responsible for ensuring your own safety and that's pretty cool. IAD and static line first jumps are at a lower altitude with virtually no freefall. AFF is the most expensive training method initially, around $300 for your first jump, but you get instructors in stereo (one on each side) and freefall time too. You may not remember a lot of your actual jump so I'd recommend budgeting another $60-$80 for video.

First jumps can be scary but the more you know, the less scared you'll be. Good luck.
Jeanne
Blue Skies, better days, more beer - Oh the humanity - Peace be with you my friend

DON'T TASE ME BRO

Be sure to book your first jump with a REAL dropzone. There are many fake dropzone websites on the internet all associated with a company (skyride) known to use misleading advertising.

If you mention where you are, or what state at least, then folks on here could help you out. Also, check the dropzone link at the top of the page here.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Be sure to book your first jump with a REAL dropzone. There are many fake dropzone websites on the internet all associated with a company (skyride) known to use misleading advertising.

As Dave said beware of the fake websites. If they don't list their physical address on the website it's a pretty good bet it's not legit.

If you choose to call a number from a website that does not list their physical address and they won't give you the address on the phone until you have given them your credit card info, it not real.