kuai43

When & where was this?

I'm pretty sure this footage was on a 16 mm movie I used to check out of the libray calley Skydive. I know I've seen it before.

Separation looks 'normal' to me.;)

Notice there is at least one round main, I think one conventional rig, and maybe a thunderbow or something. Didn't see anything newer than about 1979 or 80.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

It's from a film by the late Carl Boenish--"Skydive," I guess, shot in 16mm film. This scene was clearly at Elsinore, which was a Parachutes Inc. DZ at the time (70s). That's a PI logo on the tail of one of the DC3s.

More later, maybe, when I find it; I have it on DVD somewhere.

HW

Hey Howard,

Where did you get it on DVD? Or is it home copied? I'm not sure I ever saw it on anything but 16 mm. It was probably on some VHS at some time. I'd like to have a copy because it was the first skydiving movie I ever saw.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

That was indeed the very ever first 50-way at Lake Elsinore in (I believe) 1978. I saw it from the ground. And it was an amazing feat back in those days. While I was looking up at it someone nearby said, "Man, that's a blot!" And that was probably the first time that word "Blot" was applied to skydiving . . .

NickD :)

It wasn't how big the camera helmet was. It was how big the VHS deck on your chest was!;)

The 35 mm film helmets that folks like Tom Sanders have/had were huge.

This was probably shot on 16 mm with a big ass camera. But I had a video set up in the mid 80's. A separte color camera that fed a battery operated full size VHS deck. I made a lightweight harnees and padded container for the deck and an aluminum helmet mount for the camera that included a cage over the top of it. I didn't use it a lot but did get video of a tension knot malfunction and round reserve ride from underneath it. I think I finally got rid of that stuff a few years ago.:( This was when camcorders looked like the post above.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

All of Carl Boenish's films are being restored right now as we speak. The master reels (some over 30 years old and not stored correctly) are in bad shape.

I have a friend working on the project who's assisting Jean Boenish. And the word is all of it will be available in the near future.

As I remember it that was all slow motion . For the break-off signal one of the base pulled out There was a scene with normal speed and it wasnt that long. That was Karl's way of doing things. He has a trail plane shooting an exit out of the right rear door of an Otter to see if anyone is paying attention in one of his movies. He also had jumpers going off El-Cap with cameras facing backwards to get the trailers exit. He even jumped Richmond for the Nationals. He was a very nice guy to talk to.

Bob bouquor of SCR was filming with a 35MM movie camera for Dean Martins "Dont Make Waves" .He reportedly died by drowning off the shore of the LA beach area. It sort of conflicts with no water in his lungsand hanging limp under canopy while drifting out to sea. A popular 16MM camera of the day was "N-6 Corsair gun sight "Baa-Baa Black Sheep TV series had all WWII air to air combat shot that way It required a pistol belt like battery holder with D-Batteries soldered in series to power the 24 volt system.You would get your movie back from processing in a week. Then hope there was a projector and a screen where you wanted to show it. Thank god for Ni-Cad Then you only had to wear a cake pan size battery on your chest.Actually bigger than Sony Beta recorder some wore the same way

I have a VHS tape which i purchased maybe 25 years ago...
It has a small silver label on it which says, "Photo-Chuting Enterprises" , and a mailing address from Hawthorne CA. as well as a phone number , in the 213 area code

it is a great tape, and includes Masters of the Sky, Sky Capers, Skydive, and Wings...footage of the United states freefall team, with a young BJ Worth,,, filmed by Boenish and Randy DeLuca... Some really good 16 way diamond jumps, out of what looks like a Lockheed Lodestar...B| could have been filmed in Coolidge....

there is also a commercial for the Minolta Maxxum 35 mm camera and a cartoon of a CREW dive, complete with a wrap, by larry deKock...
I'm quite sure, that i bought it after contacting Jean Boenish, directly by phone....mailed her a payment ( this was waaay before paypal.. hell it mightta been waaay before Credit Cards!!!! ) and she mailed me the tape...
NOT a bootleg.....Part of it includes some early El Capitan Jumps, with two skydivers, running off the rock,, wearing conventianal skydiving gear,, doing about 7 or 8 seconds,,, followed by canopies and a piercing,,,," Yodel-Ay-E- O !!!!" worthy of the swiss alps...;)

i still enjoy watching it, and the MUSIC from that DC 3 big way. really sticks in my head...
How did it get onto U Tube ??? i wonder??

jimmy

That was indeed the very ever first 50-way at Lake Elsinore in (I believe) 1978. I saw it from the ground. And it was an amazing feat back in those days. While I was looking up at it someone nearby said, "Man, that's a blot!" And that was probably the first time that word "Blot" was applied to skydiving . . .

it was a nice 50 try .... but was not a 50 under 'standard' rules at the time ... which were, hold it for at least 3 seconds...

in the very late 70's Jerry Bird admitted in the loft at Z-hills that the jump did not meet that criteria, he said they had a still photo, but the last jumper was descending into his slot, took grips, photo was shot, jumper kept going down and let go .... he was just passing thru... even Jerry said it was not really valid ...

about a year after the jump in the film ... there was a 50 way, on a Saturday in Z-hills ... held for about 10 seconds ... THAT was the First 50 way..

interesting note on that, it was about Easter time, a bunch of people that had been there all winter were on practice jumps and got 'bounced' off for friends of the organizer, coming down from the Mid-west and North-east...

said 'bouncees' got pissed off, did a little leg work and announced on the PA in the evening (to great derision from some of the 50 way participants) that a 50+ way was going up on Sunday and listed names for interested people to go talk to if anyone thought they were capable.. only disqualifying condition was

'You cannot have been on today's 50 way' !!

try that at one of today's records ... hahaha ..
they talked the 'Herd' from pensylvania into making a 16 way base... up to then, the Herd were a bunch of oversized, partying maniacs with no particular rep (although great company in the pickup on garbage runs to the dump), but the locals (pissed off, over-winter jumpers) knew that some of the Herd were pretty good and it guaranteed a smokin fast base (not to be sneezed at in the days of the 'wing war').
This was the birth of 'Rent-A-Base' and the Herd's prominence as records started heading towards 100.

The first (and only) practice jump went up, a 36 way in some semi cloudy conditions, so the cut was heard, the jumpers could be heard falling but no one on the ground could see anything... then falling past one cloud appeared a solid 36, obviously built high... and falling forever...

very quickly, some of the 50 way participants were seen trying to snivel on to the next jump.. a 57 (planned that way) try ... and they were all told sorry ... you were on the 50 way.... you should have heard the whining and bitching... they were afraid they 'd lose the record the very next day ...

jump goes up ... 53/54 in out of 57 ... so no record, but, point made

this jump called themselves the 'B' team and immediately (within a couple hours) had t-shirts made at a little place in town saying 'B' team on top and 'First 50 way meet' on the bottom with a big blot in the middle ...

I was asked on the 'B' team jump but had a head cold, so I declined (that tore me up, but last time I jumped with a head cold I went stone cold deaf for 3 hours and wasn't looking to make it permanent)
so I went and got one of the t-shirts and had the guy print 'I SNIVELLED OFF' across the back ..

I still call that day the 'The Death of Sky God'

so, kids, next time you are put on the bench at a world record try .... just organize your own; wthout the people on the first one....