mjaconetta

High Alltitude

>Sounds expensive -- anyone done one before?

I've been to 26,000 without bailout O2 and 30,000 with bailout O2 (the Superior people, out of Mullins King Air.) Glad I did it, but probably wouldn't do it again without a good reason. BTW I had shorts/tshirt with a pretty thin jumpsuit on and was OK, but warmer clothing probably would have been a good idea. Gloves are a must.

thought you folks may be interested in the following information, provided to me by skydance. They offer solo Halo jumps, much cheaper than their competitors:

"...We offer HALO Jumps twice a year and I believe our next ones will be in June, but I am not 100% sure. The requirements are as follows: must have a USPA C License(minimum of 200 skydives), take a FAA Flight Physiological Training Course--"A Chamber Ride" and have a FAA Class 3 Medical Certificate. You have to call the FAA to schedule the Chamber Ride and the number is 405-954-4837. The cost for a first time HALO Jump is $585 per person. We also ask that reservations be made at least a month in advance and we require a $100 deposit. I hope that has answered all of your questions. If you have any more please feel free to email us back. SkyDance SkyDiving..."

Sounds expensive -- anyone done one before? Think its worth the money?

No.

I once went to 23,500 AGL for $40 and change. It was cold. My arms felt like they were going to fall off. I should have paid for 2 regular jumps which would have been at 12,000-14,000 AGL and saved the rest for beer money.

16,000 is plenty. You get a longer free fall but don't freeze or work too hard.

This isn't about being cheap - I thought $350 for the B-17 ride with bomb-bay exit and $90 for the 727 cargo jet were both worthwhile.

I looked at all the possible locations when I did a HALO and Skydance was by far the best choice. Tad Smith normally runs these courses and it is quite professional with high quality equipment.

The FAA will refer you to CAMI (Civil Aerospace Medical Institute) for the “chamber ride” Info at: http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/airman_education/aerospace_physiology/

One note, a proper HALO or high altitude jump is all about the oxygen, not just the skydive and is not comparable to 20-24K jumps where it is only required to have O2 on the lift up. 30K and higher involves much more and without going into detail, one difference is the need to have a 1hr O2 prebreath to flush nitrogen from you system so as to not get the “bends”
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Ok i have done a 22000 ft jump what is the next highest jump I can make and how do i do it and where do you find a DZ that will accomidate. [email protected]

You can do a 28,000 to 30,000 HALO Jump at West Tennessee Skydiving, Memphis, TN, for $375.00 which includes all training, equipment, and the jump. Arrangements need to be made through http://www.HaloJumper.net. The DZ is http://www.SkydiveKingAir.com

Mike Mullins
DZO
West Tennessee Skydiving

Good day all,

Not worth it (for Tandem 30K) even if I was rich!

Makes me happy I am solo!

Wow ... The 30 K tandem is crayzy (price wise)! 23 K is set at $1,800 ... Reminding me that Air Adventures in Clewiston, FL flies loads to 22K or 23K a few times a year and would include tandems for $300 and change ... Just a thought as it's literally 1/6 the cost!!

I think the 3,500 price tag for the 30 K tandem is arranged through "incredible adventures" which caters to rich people (civilian spaceflight, etc) ... Asking around can save you a ton of $$$.
Fly High ... Don't "Get High"!

What I think many of those who have posted here have lost sight of or simply do not know, is that it's not about the price and altitude that can be had for said price but about DOING IT SAFELY AND THE RIGHT WAY. Just because you can get to 30k feet for cheap doesn't mean your best interest and health is part of the deal.

I've said it in other threads about high altitude jumping and I'll say it again here. It is not an ordinary skydive and just because you've been to X altitude before doesn't guarantee you won't suffer from any of the possible ill effects of not doing it properly. Not conducting a suitable pre-breath before and not using the correct type of O2 equipment is a recipe for the bends and or death in the worse case scenario.....But don't believe me...I've only been doing it for a living for almost 2 decades and I might not know what I'm talking about.:S

"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

What I think many of those who have posted here have lost sight of or simply do not know, is that it's not about the price and altitude that can be had for said price but about DOING IT SAFELY AND THE RIGHT WAY. Just because you can get to 30k feet for cheap doesn't mean your best interest and health is part of the deal.

I've said it in other threads about high altitude jumping and I'll say it again here. It is not an ordinary skydive and just because you've been to X altitude before doesn't guarantee you won't suffer from any of the possible ill effects of not doing it properly. Not conducting a suitable pre-breath before and not using the correct type of O2 equipment is a recipe for the bends and or death in the worse case scenario.....But don't believe me...I've only been doing it for a living for almost 2 decades and I might not know what I'm talking about.:S

what exactly does the pre-breathing consist of? and is the oxygen during the actual skydive just that..O2 like they give u anywhere else? when doing a high altitude jump do flight characteristics change at all due to the thin air?
Jump more, Bitch less.

I did a 21000' jump once, our pilot was put on hold for for the drop and kept on climbing, we didn't expect the jump but had oxygen standard in the aircraft.

It was cool to have done a 20k jump but from memory, once I 'got down to' about 10k my internal alarm bells were ringing and spent the rest of the jump looking at the ground and my alti. we were freeflying for abou 90 seconds.

How fast does one fall (say neutral on the belly) above 20k?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

+1
Some people only hear the part they want to hear. It is my hope it never happens but if jumpers keep pushing above 20,000 feet without using proper procedures and equipment someone is going to end up crippled (DCS) or dead.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals