Psychonaut

Checklist for traveling with rig

I want to make sure I am not forgetting anything so I was going to make a list here..

Checked suitcase with all gear, clothes, food snacks if any..

Smaller suitcase for carry on with just rig

Backpack as carry on with
- USPA licensing paperwork, log book etc
- Printed TSA and airline rules for rigs
- AAD xray card
- Trashbag if they fire the reserve
- Pullup cords and similar for packing needs

Tie a pull up around the reserve handle/strap

Money and credit card for jumps and beer!

Any other suggestions to save some hassle and make things alot easier?
I'm sure I'm foretting something..

Thanks
Stay high pull low

Just make sure you dont have any tools that could be considered weapons. You would be surprised how long even something like packing clamps can hang you up in the security line. (Many people also forget to take their hook knife off their rig too)

Also, check your airlines website. Many airlines post their own rules about what you can and cant carry on. I always print this out as well. This way if you have any problem in the plane itself or at the gate you have documentation in addition to the TSA documentation.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

The current month of Parachutist is always a good thing to bring with you for several reasons.

The phone numbers to all the dropzones are priceless if you ever need help along the way.

Just call the nearest one and tell them you have beer. They'll send someone out to get you right away:P

I would not tie anything around the reserve handle. You would be surprised at how many people have forgotten to remove before jumping. Instead what I do is wrap my chest strap around the handle and secure with the elasctic keeper. I think it would be far more unlikely to forget your chest strap AND to remove wrap around the reserve handle.

I would not tie anything around the reserve handle. You would be surprised at how many people have forgotten to remove before jumping. Instead what I do is wrap my chest strap around the handle and secure with the elasctic keeper. I think it would be far more unlikely to forget your chest strap AND to remove wrap around the reserve handle.

Good call on the chest strap.
No hook knives on my rig so nothing to worry there. I'm fine if I have to unpack the main but shit is most likely going to hit the fan if they decide they have to fire the reserve..
Stay high pull low

but shit is most likely going to hit the fan if they decide they have to fire the reserve..

The most important thing you can pack in dealing with TSA and your rig is a smile and some patience. It goes a *long* way in making your day go smoothly.

I've traveled with my rig a lot, and I've had to talk only a couple of TSA agents "off the ledge" with respect to either allowing me to carry my rig on at all or with respect to needing to open the rig. I've never had to check it*, and I've never had to open the reserve. Not saying that might not happen, but so far, so good.

The more typical scenarios:

1) Rig goes through screening, you pick it up on the other end, no questions asked. No problems.
2) Rig goes through screening, you're met by a TSA agent on the other end who asks if they can send it through again in the bag (scenario 2a. is sending it through again outside the bag). No problems.
3)Rig goes through screening, you're met by a TSA agent on the other end who asks if they can open up your carrying case and do a visual inspection and/or swab the rig. Smile, let them do their thing, keep an eagle eye on them, request that they not pick it up by that silver handle, ask if you can rearrange/reclose the bag when they're done. Most agents I've dealt with are extremely respectful and don't want to fuck it up either. Most of 'em touch it as little as possible.
4) Rig goes through screening, screening agent looks confused, calls over other agent, who looks confused, calls over supervisor, who either says "Yeah, so, it's a skydiving rig, so what" or encourages the agents to go to scenario 2 or 3 above (or does scenario 2 or 3 himself).

What is most likely to cause confusion, I've found, is the AAD. More specifically, the battery pack looks "funny" on the x-ray. Explain what it is, show them the card if they still seem confused, use it as a teaching opportunity, not an opportunity for hostility.

*There was one time I was on Air Canada coming back from Toronto to the U.S. and I was told that I had to check it because of a 10KG/22 LB carry-on weight limit, but that had nothing to do with the fact that it was a rig and everything to do with the fact that it weighs more than that.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks NW,

Yeah, unfortunately I know that it's one of those situations where you'd really like to strangle them, but even after you strangle them they're still in charge.

I'll be sure to put my smile on.

I have the documents for my specific airline (allegiant air) however I got a new laptop and forgot to grab all of my bookmarks. Can anyone link me to the TSA documents? Thanks!
Stay high pull low

Last time I flew out of LAX, I had a 40 minute chat with TSA about the AAD. I had a copy of the TSA thing, the AAD x-ray card, the supervisor said he had 50 some jumps, but I still got to stand there while they figured out if I could take it or not. A key phrase seemed to be that the AAD is a life-saving device. The supervisor had to go look for their documentation which he couldn't find. Then he watched a video of some sort that told him where to find the document which he then showed to the agent. The guy at the gate even commented that what they saw on the x-ray looked just the card showed. Sheesh. Any way, I always get there the two hours early that is suggested, so I had plenty of time for the little chat and to get something to eat before boarding. My suggestion..... be sure to arrive plenty early. It's much easier to smile and be polite when you aren't worried about missing your plane.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

What is most likely to cause confusion, I've found, is the AAD. More specifically, the battery pack looks "funny" on the x-ray. Explain what it is, show them the card if they still seem confused, use it as a teaching opportunity, not an opportunity for hostility.

I'm a boogie whore and travel a lot with my rigs. I have done what is described above, just be aware of the words we use in skydiving might set off an alarm for a TSA agent. Describe the AAD in terms of a device that opens the container if you don't/can't. Don't use the word "fire" or "cutter". I bring out the card only if they weren't talked off the ledge by my explanation of what they saw on the screen. The card mentions the device has an explosive in it. I show them the picture so they can see the "dark object" they are most commonly worried about, without them actually reading the entire card. Knock on wood, have had only minor delays carrying multiple rigs on board.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

It is also a good idea to put your weights in the checked luggage and not in the bag with your rig.
The lead in the weights is a big "I can't see that" on the x-rays.

The funniest story I've heard was someone flying out of ONT.
Some new jumper type happen to be the TSA agent and 'knew all about parachute rigs'.
He pulled out the packing data card and the rig was out of date.
He did not want to let the person onboard with an out of date reserve.
After some delicate discussions, the person was allowed on.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Hi!

I just put the rig in a gear bag and carry it on my back. I remove my hook knife just to be on the safe side.

I would NEVER EVER tie anything around my reserve handle. People have jumped rigs with the reserve handle held in place with a plastic strap. I want my rig to be ready to jump when I arrive. And the reserve handle will stay in place if the rig is in a gear bag.

The gear bag would hold the reserve. I would probably NOT be able to resist the temptation to fire the big, spring loaded reserve PC directly in the face of someone if they HAD to open it. The reserve PC has two purposes: save your life, and give someone a nose bleed.

I've travelled to Spain and the US several times with my rig, I've never had any problems with it. I dress decently, I smile and I'm friendly, I answer any questions the people in the security check might have.

Skydiving rigs, even with AADs don't really look that suspicious: It looks like a lot of compressed fabric, some metal and some electronics, if you explain them what it is, they are usually happy.

I'm from Norway, BTW.

:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

If I was a TSA and your shit hit the fan (as you say) then guess what ... you wouldn' t be travelling ... Some of them may be idiots but 2 idiots in the same location is asking for trouble.... Be nice

As others have said, check with the airline .. some don't allow 2 carry-on bags... most have a weight allowance for carry-on - so you may not be taking your rig onto the plane..... be nice

I always try to get there early so that any issues can be sorted and not become problems...... be nice

Smile and remember.. You're on holiday ... BE NICE

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

ROTF

The worst I've had was a TSA agent who just finished AFF, I thought that dude would _never_ stop talking ;)

The funniest story I've heard was someone flying out of ONT.
Some new jumper type happen to be the TSA agent and 'knew all about parachute rigs'.
He pulled out the packing data card and the rig was out of date.
He did not want to let the person onboard with an out of date reserve.
After some delicate discussions, the person was allowed on.

Be aware that if you are traveling to other countries you might have to be comfortable with checking some rigs based on weight. I just returned from Australia with mine and due to it's weight it was not allowed in the cabin...i tried and I tried but all they did was tell me how crap American safety standards were for cabin bag weights....>:(

Be aware that if you are traveling to other countries you might have to be comfortable with checking some rigs based on weight. I just returned from Australia with mine and due to it's weight it was not allowed in the cabin...i tried and I tried but all they did was tell me how crap American safety standards were for cabin bag weights....>:(

Makes sense. We have to remember that non-catastrophic events can still eject items from the overhead bins onto people. One girl on that Kingston flight had her face smashed and broken to the point it took several hours of surgery to repair and she said it was because of a bag hitting her.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

I think I'll try and be nice eh? B|

My airline allows one carry on with certain dimensions which will be the small suitcase I got for my rig, and then they allow a personal item so a small backpack purse etc..

When I purchased the smaller suitcase, I figured it would work well if I had to check it for some reason..

Stay high pull low

I think I'll try and be nice eh? B|

My airline allows one carry on with certain dimensions which will be the small suitcase I got for my rig, and then they allow a personal item so a small backpack purse etc..

When I purchased the smaller suitcase, I figured it would work well if I had to check it for some reason..

Don't try. Be nice.

I've had my rig in many countries, and only once run into "real" trouble, flying Virgin out of Sydney, Australia. I'd flown out of Melbourne and Perth before without hassle. Being nice, I eventually got the gate agent to call the captain who chuckled and snorted and said "Of course a parachute can come aboard. I hope he doesn't plan on using it."

Had I been a dick, the call never would have been made.
Be nice. No matter how much you want to point out how insipid, ignorant, pathetic, ridiculous, and unnecessary the TSA agent may be, just "be nice."
Nicely ask for a supervisor, nicely present papers saying "these might help," nicely asking for their name...
Be nice.
You may well be setting the stage for the next skydiver coming through that portal.

Definitely, and I'm a nice guy (atleast I think so:S) to begin with so this shouldn't be a hassle.

I should be all packed, helmet full of socks and boxers as the suitcase is a bit on the small side:D

I'll get back to this thread after my trip to let everyone know how it went, specifically with allegiant air.

See ya guys in AZB|

Stay high pull low

Tie a pull up around the reserve handle/strap.

Not just no, but what the fuck were you thinking no.

NEVER fuck up your reserve handle in any way that you could ever possibly forget to unfuck it.

Believe it or not, I've SEEN IT DONE and the rig was jumped multiple times with the handle still fucked.

It's possibly the most mad I've ever been at anyone ever in the sport. Do NOT do it.

There is a better way.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1181;
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=215704;search_string=reserve%20handle;#215704
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver