skydude2000

New US Airline Rules

Hi Guys,

In hearing all this news about another attempted plane bombing and the seemingly knee-jerk reaction of banning ALL carry-on luggage, basically anything larger than a purse, how will this affect travelling skydivers?

I ask because I'll be heading to Florida in the spring, with my new-to-me rig. I've already read about all the preparations you can make (cooperate, don't be an idiot, don't make a scene, have all the paperwork)

But I REALLY really really don't want to check the rig I just bought, that happens to be worth more than my car. I'm just concerned that some valuable baggage may start 'disappearing' now that everyone knows we don't have a choice.

Anything we can do at all? Is there a special exemption we can ask for? Call ahead to the airline? Or does this only apply when flying INTO the US?

I'd really rather not just take my chances.

Thanks!!!
PULL!! or DIE!!

Or does this only apply when flying INTO the US?

As far as I know the changes only apply when you're flying into the US. I flew back from Phoenix to Oakland this morning and it was business as usual. The TSA agents in PHX didn't even blink an eye at the three rigs my boyfriend and I sent through.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

According to TSA in LAX, nothing with regard to changes in what is allowed has changed. I'm flying LAX to YEG (Edmonton) in a couple of days, just returned into LAX yesterday. Flying YEG to LAX the day of the incident was no different either. The only thing that TSA in YEG had to suggest was be a little earlier since Customs and security check occurs on the Canadian side.

Hi Guys,

In hearing all this news about another attempted plane bombing and the seemingly knee-jerk reaction of banning ALL carry-on luggage, basically anything larger than a purse, how will this affect travelling skydivers?

I wouldn't worry until it happens, which it won't BTW. It was just one of a thousand things being thrown around.

Although since Richard Reid, aka the shoe bomber, we do have to take our shoes off and run them through x ray. I am thinking the next major leap forward in airline security is that everyone has to take their underwear off at security and run it through x-ray now too! ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

I wouldn't worry until it happens, which it won't BTW. It was just one of a thousand things being thrown around.

It already has happened.

The OP is talking about flying from Canada to the U.S., not domestically within the U.S. From here:

U.S.A. bound passengers are permitted zero carry-on bags effective immediately

Carry-on is allowed for flights to any other country - only flights to the U.S. are affected.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Save yourself grief,,FedEx your gear down there........

Thats what Im doing from now on. FedEx or UPS rarely loose anything these days and you can add insurance for a little more. Its also not that expensive and the DZ's down here are great about receiving the gear.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Why not eliminate all those scenarios and drive? I stopped flying four years ago due to airline/TSA horseshit. Seriously, why put up with it?
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Well, that's the plan, actually. Driving to Buffalo and flying from there. I think driving to FL takes about 2 days each way. For a week-long vacation, that's A LOT of driving.

It's a family vacation, so we're taking my 85 year-old grandmother, and she can't handle 2 days in a car any more than I can [:/]

Sounds like if we're flying within the US, I'll be okay.

PULL!! or DIE!!

Damn. This means more expensive insurance coverage for my rig, but I'd have a REAL problem if rig is lost on the way to the 100-way.

Maybe I'll stick to Europe in the future, then.

[:/]

Wasn't the bomb in his underpants and not in his hand luggage? What about banning underpants?

:D

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Wasn't the bomb in his underpants and not in his hand luggage? What about banning underpants?

how the hell did they miss the bomb in his pants....did they just assume he was hung like an effing elephant and look the other way??
Jump more, Bitch less.

how the hell did they miss the bomb in his pants....did they just assume he was hung like an effing elephant and look the other way??

Ironically, that would mean that he wasn't searched because he was profiled.

Just flew home from the boggie in Puerto Escondido. Flew out of Mexico city where they showed us the official document that expressly forbid the carry on of parachutes (paracaidas).

I had to go back to checkin and check our rigs and pay an extra bag fee...it was a complete pain in the ass and ate up all the time we had budgeted to drink before our flight, but at least the rigs arrived with us safe and sound in SFO.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

if carryon is going to get banned, then airlines are going to have to start offering an insurance options for baggage. I refuse to check my rig and cameras. They are worth too much money to me to become lost baggage.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

>then airlines are going to have to start offering an insurance options for baggage.

Unfortunately, no, they won't have to. "Take the train" might well be their reply to that. Fortunately, alternatives (like Fedex) exist that _will_ insure their cargo.

Here's where air travel is heading.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Cartoon idea still is not full proof. The bad guys
will just stick a quarter pound of c-4 or whatever
up their rectum. They tried to take out a Saudi prince
or official this way a couple months ago. Failed, but he was close.

So expect to bend over also.[:/]