slotperfect

What Can We Do About Skyride II

There has been an interesting development in keyword advertising that may have an affect how Skyride and other companies can use keyword advertising through search engines such as Google. It's a long way from settled law, but it sounds like the courts are beginning to recognize that a company name is a trademark that might trigger infringement case if that keyword is sold to competitors as a search term on engines such as Google. Skyride has used this technique (among many others) to confuse the public.

"...The 2nd Circuit decision does not offer all the answers about the legality of keyword advertising. Rescuecom and others will still have to prove their trademarks were infringed in the end.
Every district court outside of the 2nd Circuit found that the purchasing of a competitor's keyword to trigger ads at least met the threshold question of starting a claim, said Ian Ballon, an Internet lawyer. "This is a significant effort at harmonizing the law..."

http://fastcase.blogspot.com/2009/04/keyword-advertising-takes-hit.html
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

....so, the kiddies at ASC are at it again.
Posting bogus DZ reviews trying to bash other DZs.

Sad, childish puppies over there.

Fortunately the mods know what's going on and are unfortunately having to do the extra work to straighten all that out.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

....so, the kiddies at ASC are at it again.
Posting bogus DZ reviews trying to bash other DZs.

Sad, childish puppies over there.

Fortunately the mods know what's going on and are unfortunately having to do the extra work to straighten all that out.

Not to mention threatening violence on their forum against certain people. :S Oh yeah, I'm armed. Come and get me. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Skyride is still scamming people, and doing it pompously and arrogantly. A complaint popped up in a forum called Strange Famous Records.

Here's the link: http://strangefamousrecords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46901
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

How the hell do you find this sh@$t dude. Do you spend every waking hour searching the internet? If you jumped as much as you posted you really just might be a skydiver instead of a former skydiver.

What do you think of the situation that Billy posted?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I think that situation sucks. I'm also not going to believe anything posted on a random website either. How many complaints do you think are actually valid versus complaints that are made up or over exagerated? Example: I listened to the manager of a DZ get berated by the father of a tandem student because his daughter was sitting on the ground waiting to jump while others were jumping and he wanted to know why his daughter paid money but was not jumping. He stated that he was making a formal complaint. The truth to that "complaint" is that there was a weather hold because of clouds and we had put up a few hop and pop loads to satisfy the fun jumpers that were chomping at the bit to jump. He saw this and figured he had gotten ripped off.

You cant always beleive what the internet says and that goes both ways too. If you dont trust some random Skyride site then why would you always beleive a site that opposes the Skyride site?

I think that situation sucks. I'm also not going to believe anything posted on a random website either. How many complaints do you think are actually valid versus complaints that are made up or over exagerated? Example: I listened to the manager of a DZ get berated by the father of a tandem student because his daughter was sitting on the ground waiting to jump while others were jumping and he wanted to know why his daughter paid money but was not jumping. He stated that he was making a formal complaint. The truth to that "complaint" is that there was a weather hold because of clouds and we had put up a few hop and pop loads to satisfy the fun jumpers that were chomping at the bit to jump. He saw this and figured he had gotten ripped off.

You cant always beleive what the internet says and that goes both ways too. If you dont trust some random Skyride site then why would you always beleive a site that opposes the Skyride site?

So taking the grain of salt into account, what are the essential elements that occurred and do you think it's acceptable?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I would also like to point out at this time that Skyride and ASC are not the same thing.

You are correct. Skyride sells tandems and other thing's while you can actually jump at ASC, but they are still owned by the same people. So i will not give my money to either of them!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

If that is what indeed did occur then yes, that is unacceptable.

I would also like to point out at this time that Skyride and ASC are not the same thing. I know people try to get this point across all the time but nobody seems to care.

The story told by the guy on that link Billy provided is unacceptable.
It violates terms of TWO agreements that SR has entered into.

I think Billy happened upon that post by chance.
Just this past week, I happened upon these pages:
http://wisn.cityvoter.com/winners/spring-fever/4532/recreation/skydiving?place=1
http://wisn.cityvoter.com/winners/spring-fever/4532/recreation/skydiving?place=2
http://wisn.cityvoter.com/winners/spring-fever/4532/recreation/skydiving?place=4
I was not out looking for SR shit practices.
I actually found this from this twitter page.
I was just trying to figure out what twitter was about and then saw that.
And then said 'Holy fuck - third parties are getting duped too.....wtf? This is not right.'

As to ASC and SR being 'not the same thing' - yeah right. There are too many court documents to make that believable.

Did I ever tell you guys about the phone call from CQ I got a couple of weeks ago?

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I would also like to point out at this time that Skyride and ASC are not the same thing.

That loud "whooooosh" over your head is the clue that you are clueless.

I know people try to get this point across all the time but nobody seems to care.

Nobody is buying what you are trying to sell.
"whooooosh"

Recently, my respect and esteem for a particular DZO took a leap off the launch pad when she told me she rejected an approach asking her to take SR certificates.

Did I ever tell you guys about the phone call from CQ I got a couple of weeks ago?.

My guess is that it went something like this:

CQ: Yo! Jan!
Jan: Who is this?
CQ: Your ol' pal CQ! Wassup?
Jan: Huh? Pal???
CQ: Just calling to ask you, now that you are free, to come play for my team, baby. Whaddayasay?
Jan: Who is this really?
CQ: HA HA HA HA. I got the action and I'd love to share it with you!
Jan: You're outta your &*%^#) (&@(*&(&@#) (*@#$) (*@) mind.
Don't you EVER call me again you !@*$#&^*!@&#^*!&@^#*!&@^#*&^!@*#&^!@.

CQ: Did I say something wrong? Jan?......Jan?

Did I ever tell you guys about the phone call from CQ I got a couple of weeks ago?.

CQ: Just calling to ask you, now that you are free, to come play for my team, baby. Whaddayasay?

It actually goes a bit more like this.

Me: Air Capital Drop Zone, this is Martin.
SR: I'd like to schedule 4 tandem skydives this weekend....

It evolves from there. I "tried it" in 2002 before i'd ever heard of 1-800SR. It didn't take me very long to get a real feel for what they were doing. I did some 30 SR tandems that season, was totally fed up with it, and dropped them like a used condom. Since then I figured out how to market my business for myself, and doubled the number of tandems I do in a season. I think that if I wanted to I could do a whole lot more tandems that I do now, I don't want any more though. I actually cut back on my advertising.

Fuck SR! DZOs need to pull their head out of their collective asses, and do their own marketing!
Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Hey, Martin, this is a bit of a tangent, but I'm curious. Do DZOs who don't take SR also decline to take bookings through any "broker", so as to assure they don't do business with SR unwittingly under any name?

I have no idea what DZOs are doing for the most part outside of Kansas. That said, my thought is that when someone calls from any booking "service", most DZOs would simply say "no thanks." I'd tend to say something like "Have the individuals call me directly, and I'll get them scheduled. I do not need the services of a booking agent. I market directly. I have a web presence, and advertise otherwise. Anyone in my area who's interested in skydiving can and will find me directly. Have a nice day."

It seems to be the guys who are worried that they may "lose" a tandem customer to "the other guy" who agree to trade with SR. Kansas is more spread out, and we're not really in direct competition for the most part. If when someone calls us, and we find out that they're going to be driving past another DZ to get to us we'll ask why they want to come to us. We'll inform them that there are closer DZs, and even give the phone number. Again, this isn't Texas, California, Florida, Georgia, etc.

Another little piece of irony. Jen Sharp who's DZO of Skydive Kansas set up a site, and forum for drop zone owners dzos.net. It's supposed to foster cooperation, and for the most part does. Jen told me that there are a few DZOs out there who think it's some kind of sin to even talk with another DZO who's within 150 miles of their DZ. Again, pull your damn head out of your ass! It's exactly this kind of attitude that the SR boys thrive on!

Preach'n to the choir.
Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

too funny....
I did tell him that joke tho.
Who is more qualified than me to update his websites to comply with the agreements?

Actually the conversation was very civil and lasted almost an hour.
In a nutshell, he was asking what would it take to get the 'Jan Meyer Seal of Approval' for him and SR.
I told him to read my deposition and that I'd get back with him on some other things that were not covered in that.
It was only an 8 hour depo and not everything was covered.
BTW, the story of my depo is interesting. Too long for a snippet here.
I also told him I was more angry at USPA nowadays than SR.

Anyway, the first week of August is on my calendar to be a witness for Skydive Arizona.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

That loud "whooooosh" over your head is the clue that you are clueless.

I know people try to get this point across all the time but nobody seems to care.

Nobody is buying what you are trying to sell.
"whooooosh"

Recently, my respect and esteem for a particular DZO took a leap off the launch pad when she told me she rejected an approach asking her to take SR certificates.

That whoosh you hear is just the bias swirling in a hurricane of anger, jealousy, frustration, and ignorance above your head.

skyride's practices suck, ASC is only guilty by association. Their practices and operations are frequently above average compared to the industry. Sadly, you'd all happily knife em just cuz you dont like some of em on a personal level, or those they associate with for unrelated, yet admittedly wrong, practices.

If anyone feels like making some skydives (can be a strange concept for some of you i know), discussing in person, or drinking some beer- I'll be @ ASC Saturday-Monday.
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983

>skyride's practices suck, ASC is only guilty by association.

Correct. It would be like Wal-Mart stores that consistently defraud you by overcharging your credit card, so you refuse to shop at any Wal-Mart store in the future - even though there are Wal-Mart stores that have not yet defrauded you.

Actually it is not at all like that since ASC is not skyride by brand, business, or service. That is the thought process that you all are pushing, knowing full well the distinction, but as long as you screw the 2 people you REALLY don't like, you're happy to spread as much slander as possible to reach those ends.

Sucks that it has gotten to that point- you're willing to try to prevent damage to the community by doing exactly that and hurting a sector of the community. You're all welcome to do what you wish of course, so long as no one sues you for libel.

A more accurate scenario bill, is that everyone here has a preferred grocery store, but you decide to protest Albertson's because you didn't like the way Cerberus was having Mervyn's (a clothing retailer) refer some of it's customers to competitive grocery stores. Cerberus very well may have taken advantage of some of Mervyn's referrals. So sure, reducing revenue to the grocery store doesn't make the P.E. happy, but you just p*ssed off everyone that enjoys shopping at Albertson's, as well as damaged their reputation on potentially fradulant accusations in order to hurt their revenues. That is where you start to walk a legal boundary, and it is up to albertson's or Cerberus to decide come after you.

edit: cerberus being a private equity firm owning both Mervyn's and Albertson's.
So there I was...

Making friends and playing nice since 1983