slotperfect

What Can We Do About Skyride II

But if I were a sly-thinking man, I would challenge the ethics of the (implied-only) powers-that-be, and scoff at their polite admonition over a long and courteous period of time. Then, once I had thrown sand in their faces, I would blatantly defy them with my bold confidence - and later, when they chose to distance themselves from me and my organization, I would sue them (in the Great American Way), and somehow, some way, in my own conniving and Machiavellian fashion, end up with a select few of decision-makers out of the silent majority. Everyone has their price, n'est pas?

I would work it somehow (with the help of those Excellent Citizens on board), that a current administration would have votes and opinions (presumed representative of a majority) suppressed and manipulated, so that the Representative Democracy was made null and void, thereby accomplishing my goal, with the help of those numbnuts mentioned earlier...

No representation is made that the quality of ethical services is greater than the quality of ethical services provided by other orifices...
Roll Tide Roll

Skyride can and will be brought down. I just really hope Ben wises up before it is too late. His pockets arent deep enough to keep himself out of trouble for too much longer.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

Does this fit?

Is there any legal eagles out there that can tell us if this is transferable to Skyrides practices?

Fraud Type : SCAM 419
Title : SCAM 419 - Definition
Description : General Description :
Advance fee fraud, often also known as the Nigerian money transfer fraud, Nigerian scam or 419 scam after the relevant section of the Nigerian Criminal Code that it violates, is a fraudulent scheme to extract money from victims after making them believe they will get an immense fortune. Victims are requested to pay an upfront fee before their purported fortune is released. These scams have come to be associated in the public mind with Nigeria due to the massive proliferation of such confidence tricks from that country since the mid-eighties, although they are often also carried out in other African nations, and increasingly from European cities with large Nigerian populations, notably London, Amsterdam and Madrid and lately also Dubai (United Arab Emirates). Originally, the schemers contacted mainly heads of companies and church officials, however, the use of e-mail spam and instant messaging for the initial contacts has led to many private citizens also being targeted, as the cost to the scammers to make initial contact is much lower. The number 419 is used in Nigeria\'s criminal code to describe this sort of crime and explains the penalty for it.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Skyride decreases business for the real DZs because the people that get screwed never want to visit a DZ again.

Odds are they didnt want to visit another DZ anyways. They wanted a tandem, one jump, thats it. Got the tshirt and lived to tell about it.

If your goal is to take these tandems and turn them into repeat business via an AFF course than you really are delerious. Once again, it is what it is.

I wonder how many skydivers started in this sport via that exact way. I believe that an AFF course is the most popular way to become a licensed skydiver.

Where is the delerium?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Skyride decreases business for the real DZs because the people that get screwed never want to visit a DZ again.

Odds are they didnt want to visit another DZ anyways. They wanted a tandem, one jump, thats it. Got the tshirt and lived to tell about it.

If your goal is to take these tandems and turn them into repeat business via an AFF course than you really are delerious. Once again, it is what it is.

I wonder how many skydivers started in this sport via that exact way. I believe that an AFF course is the most popular way to become a licensed skydiver.

Where is the delerium?

Think static line:)

R.I.P.

I don't have any idea what their tangible assests would be worth, websites, the domains and hosting that goes with them, then the 1 800 numbers, then, IF they do have any kind of aircraft and parachute equipment. I would guess, depending on the aircraft if any, maybe $500,000+. I would expect that if they do have an airplane, it's probably leased.
Now Ben and Cary's bank account, now that's a different story, and it's more than likely off shore and it's probably very fat,,, I mean PHAT!!! When I say fat, just think of how many gift certificates that were sold and never redeemed, then all of the ones that the customer was screwed out of in one way or another. Then the profits that were made from the ones that actually were redeemed, although not as profitable as the ones that were not redeemed, that's still money in their account.

Funny,,, Ben and Cary,,, They could have been in the Ice Cream business,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

We all know the ethical issues for why dropzones should not take Skyride, but as with any business is all about the bottom line. Perhaps if we can show it does not make economic sense, less places will accept them.

Most of these arguments are geared towards dropzones that are not mostly "tandem factories."

* Skyride does not create repeat customers -Skyride advertises itself as just that, a ride. A one time "extreme" ride. The customers may be upset at finding they paid more as well and not ever return. Tandems can be an introduction to this sport but it requires marketing them different and spending more time with the students. Students, not passengers. Not every student will continue or become an experienced jumper, but there is a lot of lost opportunity for additional instruction and gear sales.

* Experienced skydiver lost business - There are more and more skydivers that may avoid DZ's that take Skyride. Not much money is made per slot from experienced jumpers, but we also do way more than one jump in a day. Experienced jumpers also spend money on the drop zones for things like food, water, beer, clothing, and gear.

* Money "lost" per Skyride tandem discount - How much extra is truly made when you factor in Skyride's discount price they are paying. How many extra tandems have to be done to compensate the discount?

* Non web based advertising - Skyride does have a large web presence, but most dropzones only draw from local or regional area. Advertising within the area around the neighboring cities may be more effective than getting internet hits. A web presence is needed, but maybe does not need to be relied on.

From NWFlyer:
*Experienced jumpers as a marketing channel. Most of us have brought at least a couple tandems out to the dropzone. I'd be much more likely to take a friend to a dropzone that didn't accept Skyride than send them to a DZ that did.

I know there are more we're missing.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

I was catching up on my Newsweek reading and I'm a few weeks behind. I discovered last night that Thrill Planet Adventures (run by Skyride) is mentioned in their Gift Guide Tip sheet. :S

It's in the November 26th 2007 issue, page 88. Exact text is "Getting Extreme: Why let your kids have all the fun? Get the mom in your life a sky-diving or flying lesson with Thrill Planet Adventures. About $200; 800-759-7433".

I just can't believe it. I may have to cancel my subscription. Or at least write them a letter. :|

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Just make sure that you add the links to the litigation against them and add the Makeithappen.com website and add the links for the news media reports that's been done on them, and any other info that you can add. The more info you add, the more they will listen. The links to the media reports can be easily found at the makeithappen.com website. Jan has done a real good job on that site.
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

This could cause the Atlanta boys some problems in Tn. I did a quick google search, and there are still paid adds pointing to "drop zones" who's contact information is nothing more than a 1-800 number.

http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/bills/currentga/Chapter/PC0873.pdf

PUBLIC CHAPTER NO. 873
HOUSE BILL NO. 3834
By Representative Phillip Johnson
Substituted for: Senate Bill No. 3418
By Senators Johnson, Marrero, Burks, Kurita
AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 47, Chapter 18,
relative to misrepresentation of geographical location.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF
TENNESSEE:
SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 47, Chapter 18, Part 1, is
amended by deleting Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 47-18-103(7), and
substituting instead the following:
(7) "Local telephone directory" means a telephone directory that
is distributed by a telephone company or directory publisher, or provided
as a service to subscribers located in the local exchanges contained in
the directory. “Local telephone directory” includes:
(A) A classified advertising directory, commonly referred to
as the yellow pages;
(B) A directory of individual telephone listings, commonly
referred to as the white pages, whether identified as "business
listings" or combined in listings of residences and businesses in a
directory which does not have separate residence and business
listings;
(C) A directory that includes listings of more than one (1)
telephone company; or
(D) A directory assistance database or similar service,
commonly used by dialing "411" and speaking with a live person
or through an automated system;
SECTION 2. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 47-18-104(b)(32), is
amended by deleting the subdivision in its entirety and by substituting instead the
following language:
(32)
(A) The act of misrepresenting the geographic location of
a person through a business name or listing in a local telephone
directory or on the Internet is an unfair or deceptive act or practice
affecting the conduct of trade or commerce if:
(i) The name misrepresents the person’s
geographic location; or
(ii) The listing fails to clearly and conspicuously
identify the locality and state of the person’s business; and
(iii) Calls to the listed telephone number are
routinely forwarded or otherwise transferred to a person’s
business location that is outside the calling area covered
by the local telephone directory, or that is outside the local
calling area for the telephone number that is listed on the
Internet; and
(iv) The person’s business location is located in a
county that is not contiguous to a county in the calling area
covered by the local telephone directory, or is located in a
county that is not contiguous to a county in the local calling
area for the telephone number that is listed on the Internet;
and
(v) The person does not have a business location
or branch, or an affiliate, or subsidiary of the person does
not have a business location or branch, in the calling area
or county contiguous to the local calling area.
(B) This subdivision shall not apply:
(i) To a telecommunications service provider, an
Internet service provider, or to the publisher or distributor
of a local telephone directory unless such act is on behalf
of such Internet or telecommunications service provider or
on behalf of the publisher or distributor of such local
telephone directory; or
(ii) To the act of listing a number for a call center.
For purposes of this subdivision, "call center" means a
location that utilizes telecommunication services for
activities related to an existing customer relationship
including, but not limited to, customer services, reactivating
dormant accounts, or receiving reservations.
(C) Notwithstanding any other law contrary, and without
limiting the scope of § 47-18-104, a violation of this subdivision
shall be punishable by a non-remedial civil penalty of a minimum
of one thousand dollars ($1,000) to a maximum of five thousand
dollars ($5,000) per violation. Civil penalties assessed under this
subdivision are separate and apart from the remedial civil
penalties authorized in Tennessee Code Annotated § 47-18-
108(b)(3).
(D) This subdivision applies only to information supplied to
a telephone directory published after July 1, 2008, information that
is published on the Internet after July 1, 2008, or to information
supplied for entry into a directory assistance database after July 1,
SECTION 3. This act shall take effect July 1, 2008, the public welfare
requiring it.
PASSED: April 21, 2008
APPROVED this 6th day of May 2008
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

So I guess some TN skydivers should be calling the police and reporting Skyride? Who's on it?

Just an FYI - per the TN statute, looks like it's a civil offense only, not a criminal offense, so I doubt either the police or the DA's office would get involved - that is, unless the DA's office happens to have a civil frauds division (most criminal prosecutors' offices don't). In most states, this would probably be handled by the state Attorney General's office's consumer protection division, so I'm presuming that's probably the case in TN, too.

So I guess some TN skydivers should be calling the police and reporting Skyride? Who's on it?

Just an FYI - per the TN statute, looks like it's a civil offense only, not a criminal offense, so I doubt either the police or the DA's office would get involved - that is, unless the DA's office happens to have a civil frauds division (most criminal prosecutors' offices don't). In most states, this would probably be handled by the state Attorney General's office's consumer protection division, so I'm presuming that's probably the case in TN, too.

The DA and a couple of other departments are on it already. So if you don't think the DA will do anything, just sit back and watch.

I'm fuckin this Chicken, you just sit back and watch the feathers fly!
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

I am well aware of the shady business practices of skyride, but the simple fact is that the buyer needs to beware.

Anybody looking at an online vendor can easily search the Better Business Bureau to find out the reputation of a company.

It’s pretty easy to find dirt on skyride without our help.
There have already been news exposes that detail skyrides deceptive practices.

Who is really to blame here? The company or the saps that buy their Tandem certificates and the dropzones that accept them. Who is feeding the beast?

Oh, the "Fuck the stupid and lazy argument once again." Old story, been heard, search the many threads. Let us know when you have something new to offer.

Martin

I am well aware of the shady business practices of skyride, but the simple fact is that the buyer needs to beware.

Anybody looking at an online vendor can easily search the Better Business Bureau to find out the reputation of a company.

It’s pretty easy to find dirt on skyride without our help.
There have already been news exposes that detail skyrides deceptive practices.

Who is really to blame here? The company or the saps that buy their Tandem certificates and the dropzones that accept them. Who is feeding the beast?

Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

>>Who is really to blame here? The company or the saps that buy their Tandem certificates
Some of us, lots of us, have a protective attitude toward skydiving students. And as soon as they start thinking of trying out skydiving that's what they are, not saps . . .

Please don't ever become an Instructor . . .

NickD :)

Glad to hear it, seriously.

On another note, fucking a chicken, Tennessee....I suppose there's a certain homespun logic to it....

Well,,,,, I guess that's been tried before. Heeyyy! Someone tried it and look what we got sLyride!!!!
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org