bocabruce1

CYPRES saved my life!

OK I think I get it.
But I think as a n00b who pulls at 5k ft i'll ask to set mine a little higher.

Really, really not a good idea to raise it to 3k. Even if have always pulled at 5k and always plan on pulling at 5k, things can happen. What if at 5k you see someone from the group that exited either before or after you suddenly right there? You can't pull because you risk a collision. 5k is plenty high so you turn away and track a bit and perhaps full at 4k or 3.5k. Now you are down into the firing range if you actually raised it to 3k and end up with a two out.

If you know you have it set at 3k you might not be willing to take that extra 1000 feet and gain separation before pulling and risking a colllision. 5k is plenty high. Really high to be pulling in fact, unless you are an AFF student.

I will agree that perhaps raising the firing altitude might not be such a bad idea but you really have to think about what altitude makes sense. All I can say is I will never consider raising mine simply because I love bigways and it is normal be pulling at 2k or perhaps lower if you are in the first tracking wave.

Why doesn't Cypress fire at a higher altitude? Say 3k ft?

There have been a very few dropzones who have also put mechanical AAD's (FXC's) on the MAIN container, and had them set to go off at altitudes like you mention.

That way it guards against students who might otherwise pull low or not pull -- without waiting for that very last ditch, below 1000' reserve activation. Which can get scary for the DZO too, and be expensive if cutters need to be replaced.

It is an odd way to do things and requires modified equipment (eg ripcord main activation).

If you're looking for more proactive safety devices vs gaining an understanding of how to be responsible for yourself and save your own life, it's likely not the right activity for you.

Statement of the year right here!
Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Cause the door was open!

OK I think I get it.

What happens when you open in spinning diving line twists, and almost kick out of them by 3k? Now you're AAD fires and you're wrapped in your reserve PC and being held in the line twists also. You're dead, and with plenty of altitude to think about it.

An AAD is your last chance. You shouldn't be using your last chance where you should be executing standard emergency procedures. If you want to raise the cypres altitude because you don't think you can execute EPs, you probably shouldnt skydive. An AAD is not to be relied on, period.

I was thinking 1k wouldn't be a bad n00b height?
But I see where you guys are coming from.
An ADD can save you or kill you.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

From the cypres manual:

2.2 Student CYPRES
The Student CYPRES can be recognized by the yellow button with the imprint "Student"
on the control unit.
It will activate the EOS when the rate of descent exceeds 29mph (13m/sec). The activation
altitude is split. In the case of rate of descent being equal to that of freefall the opening
altitude is at approx. 750 feet, being the same as with Expert CYPRES. However, should
the rate of descent be lower than that of freefall but still above the limit of 29mph (e.g. with
partially opened canopy), then Student CYPRES activates the EOS when the altitude
decreases below 1000 feet above ground level. The student will then have some more
time to prepare for landing.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Maybe AADs should fire higher. I mean afterall we have a million other rules to protect us from ourselves. In fact, maybe we should just go back to static lines, or ban skydiving all together?

I know some jerkoffs who might agree with you, but most people are like me. We like the wild west. I may have been raised as a spoiled middle class white boy, but I am a gotdamn cowboy sir. I litter on exit points, I ride my freefall without helmet, I piss in the snow, and if I dont like you I dickstamp (-) your cheese sandwich. This town aint big enough for the both of us. The highest puller has to leave and Im not pulling until youre gone.

Word to your mother

Made with dorkzonehero.net forum post generator

PusSiEs BiG!
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

I fought like hell to find the hackey and reserve handles but the spin blacked me out

huh???

try twice for the main....
then pull silver..
How the hell do you NOT find the reserve handle????
it's right over your heart!!!!!!!

as for the 'spin'??? did ya' ever at least... TRY to arch?????
what sorta plane??
what sorta altitude??
what sorta exit???

damn... you get a little bit unstable??

you Arch!!!
no????

you gotta really get going.... to 'black out'...
Any underlying medical conditions???

talk about brain-lock...:|[:/]

i hope that when your ankles heal.... your bowling shoes will still fit...

good luck...
jt

Hi bo-bob,
So, now what?? Ya' gonna jump again?? Only two broke feet, broken bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is only temporary and Glory is forever. Did you buy beer yet??...First outacontrol spin, first blackout, first cypres fire, first broke bones (2) ea. adds up to 4 cases for starters. Didja' see the Reaper swing at ya' on the way down? Ya' musth've really pissed him off real bad cuz he didn't get ya'....well almost?? ;);)

SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

did not know there was a thread police

There sure is and they are called moderators. NWFlyer was just being nice since you broke the rules cross-posting to 3 different forums.

Do not cross post to multiple forums. Upon cross posting all duplicates including the original post may be removed

Before you get all puffed up make sure you are right.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Dummy raises hand.....and put on lid and cod piece and flame jacket.

Why doesn't Cypress fire at a higher altitude? Say 3k ft? Can it be adjusted for beginners and n00bs? So as to fire at higher altitudes and thus prevent us from offing ourselves early so that maybe one day we can look cool as the rest of you?

Thank you.

Maybe you should spend more time jumping than posting crap on the internet. 7 jumps and 1800+ posts.......[:/]

Same to the original poster.....

NOISE
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Why doesn't Cypress fire at a higher altitude? Say 3k ft? Can it be adjusted for beginners and n00bs? So as to fire at higher altitudes and thus prevent us from offing ourselves early so that maybe one day we can look cool as the rest of you?

Thank you.

Maybe you should spend more time jumping than posting crap on the internet. 7 jumps and 1800+ posts.......[:/]

NOISE

Yeah I like what you said. He sounds like a person that should of just done a tandem and talked it up to his friends. "I jumped from a plane!"
But with blacking out, it can happen at such a low altitude. The spins didn't have anything to do with it, takes a decent amount of g's to black out a person that has not trained for it. You're natural defense, "fight or flight" can make you just pass out, the adrenaline. That or he just stalled out and gave up on pulling anything. If you ever decide to jump again make damn sure you know where everything is at. Really. Take a couple shots of whatever(Not before you jump), spin around many times as fast as you can with a rig on and while spinning find the hackey. Just my words.
Stop looking at me

NOISE

Bear with him, "Shah269" broke a leg in a bad landing on jump #7, and unlike the OP in this thread is not done with skydiving. The question is relevant, and he's learning from the answers.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

OK I think I get it.

What happens when you open in spinning diving line twists, and almost kick out of them by 3k? Now you're AAD fires and you're wrapped in your reserve PC and being held in the line twists also. You're dead, and with plenty of altitude to think about it.

It is very unlikely that the expert Cypres will fire from a canopy diving from line twist. A student Cypres can fire in such a situation.

Thank you.

AAD's are adjustable for student, tandem, and expert modes. As you gain more experience, you'll be shown how to adjust an AAD's modes (assuming you jump with one).

I would like to clarify.

Only certain AADs have adjustments for those settings. I am content with the simplicity of the non-adjustable settings my Cypres uses.

Instead of tampering with these altitudes, why not rehearse your procedures until they are as natural as breathing. (start under instructor supervision to be sure you are training correctly) This will increase the liklihood that you will avoid such a crisis and not depend on a handful of solder and circuits to save you.

AADs are only there for imminent disaster in my opinion. I think the philosophy is sound.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

[r

I would like to clarify.

Only certain AADs have adjustments for those settings.
AADs are only there for imminent disaster in my opinion. I think the philosophy is sound.

thanks for the catch, coincidentally, I no longer jump with a Vigil but have two CYPRES' Expert as replacement.

To reiterate...an AAD is something that should generally be expected to fail. To "trust" one is foolish.

I'd like to ask you a question - you've now posted about this incident in three separate threads: 1) Retired due to injury 2) "Am I still a skydiver and 3) this one.

I'm asking with all due respect - is there something specific you're looking for from this community in posting about the incident multiple times?

i was thinking the same thing. and im very curious to the answer as well? not out of any sort of disrespect but out of pure curiosity.

also i've noticed he often seems to disappear out of his own threads after a few posts

op??
Jump more, Bitch less.

Blacking out and having your eyes tightly closed before impact are two entirely different things...:P

Hi grim-e,
I concur! 'Always tell students to,"Keep their eyes open, cuz ya' can't log night jumps officially till an hour after sunset!!!":ph34r::ph34r::D:D;);)

Actually in a spin situation a person doesn't "Black out" till later, first they "Red out" that's where centrifugal force from the spin forces blood to the extremities and the blood capilaries in the eyes will pop letting blood into the eye fluids. If enough blood gets "spun away from center" then the body can't get O2 from the lungs out and around hence part two, "back out." I don't know the numbers for how fas a spin and duration necessary to get into big trouble but I'm sure we could get into the "Danger Zone" without too much trouble. Any Military Aero Phisio types might have some good observations.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

NOISE

Bear with him, "Shah269" broke a leg in a bad landing on jump #7, and unlike the OP in this thread is not done with skydiving. The question is relevant, and he's learning from the answers.

pinkfairy
thank you! yeah that's where I'm coming from. I'm still learning guys and I'm sorry about the dumb question.
And for the record I look forward to getting back up in the air ASAP!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

While a higher activation altitude may seem like a better thing (if you don't know better), now you know why it fires where it does.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo