Bibliophile

When do you earn the right to call yourself a skydiver?

Hello, everybody.

I have been wondering about this for a while. My first jump was a tandem, and my second was AFF Level 1. For me, I considered myself a skydiver after I completed AFF Level 1, but I also knew back then that I was going to continue jumping, so I was essentially a skydiver at heart already.

But my thoughts might not necessarily comport with those of other skydivers. So I ask: When do you earn the right to call yourself a skydiver?
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who
can do nothing for him."

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

When you truly understand and make the conscious decision that the things you gain from jumping out of an airplane, outweigh the things you could possibly lose.

Wow +1

Perfect response imo.
Why not?
My direction in life is up...then down again REALLY REALLY FAST!!!
Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
D.S. #55

here we seem to forget there are other ways besides AAF. I have 87 army SL. and 4 IAD's and i feel i am a skydiver
...always remember when jumping a round...at 100' slip into the wind...keep your feet and knees together...pray to god...and hit all 3 points of contact...FEET, A**, HEAD

according to a fellow teacher (lets name him vladi) it might take a long time for someone to be a skydiver.

good old vladi was a really nice chap who encouraged students to do their best. otherwise he just would give them shit and some mild verbal abuse. so when the lucky students finally had their license in their pocket vladi would turn up and give them his classic speach: "yesterday you were a (insert insult here) student - today you are no more than the steam of the shit of a true skydiver" :o

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

one can only hope, their honest and refreshing approach is seen and recognised as such, which in turn, will lead people to steer away from such places to some that may have a milder setting - but i'm known to be a sensitive pussy, so YMMV.. :|

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

never......

calling "yourself" a skydiver is presumptuous. :|

you're a skydiver,, when peoples' faces light up, as you arrive at a dz.
when others, ask you to join them on a jump,
when you NO longer have a savings account...and when your credit cards, are all maxxed out.:P;)

BUT mostly,,,, when the DZ Staff....
annoints you as such....based on your Progress within the sport...

i'd consider anyone who has made one tandem,
to be " a person who has experienced skydiving".. i would Not truly consider them to BE a skydiver...
not yet...

jmy

Hello, everybody.

I have been wondering about this for a while. My first jump was a tandem, and my second was AFF Level 1. For me, I considered myself a skydiver after I completed AFF Level 1, but I also knew back then that I was going to continue jumping, so I was essentially a skydiver at heart already.

But my thoughts might not necessarily comport with those of other skydivers. So I ask: When do you earn the right to call yourself a skydiver?

I don't think I have ever called myself a skydiver. I might tell people I skydive, but haven't said I am a skydiver. Skydiving is simply part of who I am.

Kinda like saying "I am human".... there isn't a need to say that. People around me kinda have that part figured out. Most people anyhow. :P
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

First time you wake up at the DZ it's kinda hard to deny...

This answer made me laugh.

and your naked, cant find your keys, wallet, or car, and there is 50 messages on your phone from your wife.

How about the first time a relationship has ended because of skydiving?
I woke up next to a blowup doll Ash....so what do you think?

A DZ liking you doesn't make you a skydiver. A DZ that doesn't like you doesn't mean you are not a skydiver.

A skydiver is somebody who can look anybody else straight in the eye and with the greatest confidence and honesty say: "I'm a skydiver."

It took me about 40 jumps before I transitioned from "I go skydiving on weekends." to "I'm a skydiver." I think there is a basic level of proficiency that one should attain and a clear personal benefit realized in jumping.

I think that if the designation requires an outside person, it would be the point when a friend or good acquaintance finds it appropriate to refer to you as a skydiver (not a student or one-time tandem jumper) in a skydiving discussion.
Dropzones are terrible places for inspiration. What does one think when one looks up for a sign only to see a bunch of people falling?

A person in the act of skydiving is certainly a skydiver - even a tandem student on his first jump. You can get killed on your very first jump. I don't know of a soul who didn't have to deal with the fear of death on their first jump. Once you've exited an aircraft in flight, you've earned the right.

[sarcasm]

When you learn how to use the search function on dropzone.com.

[/sarcasm]

I see the sarcasm in your post ;), but on a serious note, I did try the search function before posting. I either turned up no search results or too many non-relevant search results.

What would you search for to see if this question has been asked before?
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who
can do nothing for him."

- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

What would you search for to see if this question has been asked before?

I did a search that included the keywords "definition" and "skydiver". The result turned up a lot of threads, 4 or 5 of which were on-topic.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=all&search_string=definition+skydiver&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=post_time&mh=500

Ummm, Jimmy can call someone a skydiver whenever and however he likes. He's been skydiving for longer than I've been alive and I think he's earned that right.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251