Skyguy1977

Malfunction Inqury

Why do BASE jumpers sometimes land with one riser and one toggle?

It s called the "keep what you got" theory. When you let go of the toggles in BASE, they are gone bc they are routed outside of the guide rings. Without the steering lines, they rear riser flare like crap. Also subject to a tail inversion. So it can be a better scenario to use one riser and one toggle to get a better pay out.

On skydiving gear, if you were to lose a steering line, and opted to use only risers, you would essentially be using two risers and one steering line. "Keeping what you got". If you truly want to even it out, whip out that hook knife we all have been itching to use and hack off your other toggle. ;) Doesn't make much sense, right? Same applies to BASE. If you blow a steering line, or have to throw one to clear a mal, why cut off the other one? It can only help you.

I know this is not a BASE discussion. However, this isnt the first this question has come up. Plus, BASE jumpers have made canopy skilz!:ph34r: Jus sayin.

[BASE jumpers apparently practice landing with one toggle and one riser....I wouldn't try it.].

Why not? Give it a whirl. One day you might need it in a pinch. Find out how your canopy flys in all modes. Who ever said landing this way was easy, was right. Making it it look good and not getting hurt is a different story.

Indeed you might.

I dropped a toggle getting my fingers out of the dive loops a while ago (lesson in gripping your toggles correctly here!)... I did the first thing that occurred, which was to flare that side on the rear riser.

It landed OK, but I've practised it once or twice since.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Making it it look good and not getting hurt is a different story.

It's simple-

Step one: Put on a mask. Preferably a skull mask

Step two: At less than 500 ft, turn said mask sideways, so it looks like you're looking off to the side during your landing.

Step three: Make history

[BASE jumpers apparently practice landing with one toggle and one riser....I wouldn't try it.].

Why not? Give it a whirl. One day you might need it in a pinch. Find out how your canopy flys in all modes. Who ever said landing this way was easy, was right. Making it it look good and not getting hurt is a different story. ***

All salient points.

As I said, I have tried it up high, and I believe it would work for me. As I also said, it was only for this one canopy that I used to jump. It felt like it wouldn't flare for shit on rears alone. As I furthur said, I'm not gonna tell anyone else to do it on this forum. (see Lepka's above post to understand why)

I will admit that you bring up a good point in your first reply to me, and it's one that shows I didn't think through every aspect of the scenarios in which I might consider this technique. I practiced it up high as possible response to dropping a toggle while swooping, and although I made up my mind that I would do the same thing if a steering line broke, you are correct in pointing out that the canopy may behave differently. But if a steering line breaks while swooping, I'm not sure there's a better response (at least for me). Maybe drop the other toggle and go to rears? No thanks. I doubt the time factor is there. Still, it makes me want to go screw around with it some more just to see how much my steering lines "assist" my rear risers.

No, the question is not silly

While not really a silly question, I think that the concept of cutting away instead of landing with rear risers is somewhat silly. Certainly a student might not be up for such a landing, but anyone off student status should have enough of a grasp of parachute landing principles to make a survivable, if not pretty, landing.

Many people are far too quick to trade an operating main for an unopened reserve. A perfect reserve is not guaranteed. It would suck to find that out after cutting away for something like a loose toggle. >:(

Kevin K.

Sounds like you go a plan. I wasnt trying to pick on you or reply to you personally. I just happened to pick your reply button.

Just some stuff to think about. I feel ya on line break during a swoop. I dont think one would have any time to save a crash. I feel fortunate to have spent my childhood crashing. I crashed bikes, skate boards, and snowboards. My body seems to have a built in ability to take a hit. I think that has saved me thus far. I have had more than my share of high speed crashes. Im sure I will have some more.

"If you're not crashing, you're not learning!"

The best way for me to find the edge of my ability is to go over it then back off a little bit.

I go back and forth with this.
On one hand it is true your reserve is NOT guaranteed.

On the other, If I didnt have 100% confidence in my reserve, I wouldnt jump it. I would be pissed at myself if I got hurt trying to land a questionable main with a still packed good parachute on my back. I understand both sides and change my mind depending on which way the wind is blowing that day. Hows that for a plan?