lindseyxo

Question for anyone with a license

I tried to find this something about this on Google but I wasn't sure what to type in. Sorry!

My boyfriend is a skydiver. Or at least, he claims to be. In December I made my first tandem jump, and immediately asked for another one as a Christmas present because I could not wait to do it again. I really really really want to start an AFF course as soon as I save up the money because I can't imagine ever wanting to stop.

The first time I went, my boyfriend said he didn't want to jump because his back hurt, which I thought nothing of. The second time I REALLY wanted him to jump before or after me and my ti or at least come up to the drop zone with me because I had a lot of questions that I would rather ask him than someone at the dz because it makes me feel like they think I'm questioning their experience, when really I'm just fascinated by it. He said that he wouldn't be able to jump because he isn't current, but from what I understand from stalking this forum, all you have to do is make a coached jump first. I asked him about it and he said that he can't find his tangible license, and that they wouldn't be able to look up his USPA number to see if he even HAS a license because he hasn't jumped in over a year and that it just goes away. Is that true?

I don't mean to be a sneaky conniving distrustful jerk, but this all started because I saw a picture of him on his Facebook "skydiving", which I had looked at several times before in passing, but this time I noticed that he was wearing a jumpsuit and goggles and a helmet... but no harness or rig or altimeter. -_- I imagine it was really a wind tunnel with a Photoshopped background. There's another one where he's clearly parasailing, and although the caption doesn't SAY anything about skydiving, the comments do and he responds to them without correcting them, and in a response to one he starts talking about a reserve :/

He does know a lot about skydiving, though. And he knows about owing beer and getting pied and all of the other hilarious things that I've been reading about by creeping all over your conversations here. I just expected him to be interested in actually jumping, the way that he talks about it... and it makes me wonder if he's actually ever even been skydiving.

I never looked into it but maybe someone can answer the question if jumpers who are licensed are on a list anywhere. I know USPA lists them when awarded but do they publish such a list?

Regarding your friend, I really don't think he's a skydiver. some people think being one puts them into some kind of category of being a courageous daredevil or something like that.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I never looked into it but maybe someone can answer the question if jumpers who are licensed are on a list anywhere. I know USPA lists them when awarded but do they publish such a list?

Regarding your friend, I really don't think he's a skydiver. some people think being one puts them into some kind of category of being a courageous daredevil or something like that.

If you look at the USPA website (www.uspa.org), in the "Quick Links" portion of the page, you will find a link called "GM Credential Verification".

You need an account and a password to get access. A Group Member dz gets that info, and can look up a jumper's credentials.

I don't know all of the ways that you can search. But I do recall at least one instance where a jumper showed up at our boogie with no credentials and a long story. Bottom line, they found him in the database with a license that had expired a number of years ago.

So, they keep the records for a long time, and you don't need to know your numbers for a dz to find you. (Provided, of course, you are in there in the first place.)

(So, Lindsey, the licenses expire, but as harmless said, the number is yours for life.)

Another test:

Anyone who continues in the sport beyond just doing a tandem or two for fun is going to have a log book, otherwise they could never have progressed through their instruction as an actual skydiving student. For a student it is the instructor who normally writes in the evaluation and signs for every jump. A student or newly licenced skydiver might not own any other skydiving equipment, but they'll hold onto that logbook.

At least if you don't end up with a boyfriend you'll have more time to spend at the dropzone.

If he's a skydiver I guarantee he has a picture of himself skydiving. Or at the least in his rig boarding the plane or in the landing area after a jump or something. Of course there is always the exception to the rule.
What about his log book? Every skydiver has one even if they don't write in it after getting their license. Ask him about that. That should seal the deal.

There are lots of people who use to skydive and lots of wanna bes.

Where did he say he did his jumps? How many jumps does he have? If he spent much time at a DZ as closely as a year ago, someone at that DZ would remember him.

If you ask specific questions and he is vague in his answers, I call bullshit.

My boyfriend is a skydiver

No, he's not. Sorry.

If your boyfriend was a skydiver, he would never have missed a trip to the DZ, let alone a trip to the DZ where his girlfriend was going to make a jump. Even if his back hurt, he didn't have to jump, but to not go to the DZ at all?

Many, many jumpers who cannot jump for one reason or another, be it medical or just because they're broke, will show up at the DZ anyway. Without anyone they know doing a tandem, or even anyone to drive out there with, they still show up.

He doesn't have to have pictures or gear, or even a logbook to prove it, all of those things can be lost, but at least he would have went to the DZ with you.

If he really was a jumper with a hurt back, he probably would have went to the DZ with you, and taken an observer ride in the plane when you made your jump.

Sign up for the AFF course. If your BF hasn't jumped in a year, he can sit through the ground school with you as a refresher, and he can make a recurrency jump that day. Problem solved.

Of course, he could also prove himself to be a chicken shit liar, who'e never made a jump and never will.

More importantly, have fun with the AFF course.

Wow Lindsey! You are on your way to becoming a full blown skydiver! I is obvious that in your short time with the sport, you have become really fond, almost obsessed with it! I know that feeling! I can't imagine my life without skydiving and skydivers! Look at my profile, how many jumps do you see? Right! -0-
I still love skydiving, and spend all of my time with skydivers and have spent every one of my vacation days for over a decade providing boogies for jumpers.
There is no way in HELL I would hvae missed my hubbies first jump. I still watch his first tandem video regularly. His most recent 8 way pic is on my dresser.
Don't worry about your wannabe, go to the dz, take AFF, meet cool people. If he wants to come, cool. If not you will meet waaaayyy too many cool people to worry about a poser.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

He does know a lot about skydiving, though. And he knows about owing beer and getting pied and all of the other hilarious things that I've been reading about by creeping all over your conversations here. I just expected him to be interested in actually jumping, the way that he talks about it... and it makes me wonder if he's actually ever even been skydiving.

Sounds like maybe he's been reading these forums too.

What folks said above is true. If he's a real jumper, there's no way he wouldn't go to the DZ with you. If he ever had a license, it's still on file, even if he's not current.

Bigger thing, if he's going to lie to you about this, what else in next? :|

I'll tell you, just start jumping. You'll meet a lot of really nice people at the DZ. Maybe one of the guys will be lucky enough to be your new boyfriend. Be careful, though. Skydivers tend to move a little "faster" than regular people. :)

Here is the REAL issue... If you determine that he has been lying about skydiving.... How will you ever trust him about anything that really matters?

On the subject of lying about skydiving, when I was 16 and drove up to the DZ for the first time, the first question they asked me is if I ever jumped before. I told them yes because I thought a NO would disqualify me. I didn't know they had training and I wanted to do it so bad.

Then I was asked if I had my parents permission and again I lied. For some strange reason they didn't believe me and made me bring back a permission letter. I promptly forged a note from my Father and brought it back the next weekend. The rest is history.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Thanks so much guys.

I understand that boys lie about little things all the time, but to take it as far as he did is ridiculous. He has multiple stories of malfunctions and jumping naked and recording for tandems, and he talks about it SO much. I don't think that I can ever trust him again.

Although, I can't help but be glad that he kind of introduced me to skydiving. I'm so so so excited to learn!

Yes! Your boyfriend is indeed a skydiver. But, would you be willing to give him up for me? I'm a world renowned brain surgeon and I make about 37.6 million a year. I am very young and extremely good looking. Although I don’t want to brag about certain physical gifts, I will just say that I’m built to please. Did I mention how smart I am? Anyway, let me know…. B|;)

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Yes! Your boyfriend is indeed a skydiver. But, would you be willing to give him up for me? I'm a world renowned brain surgeon and I make about 37.6 million a year. I am very young and extremely good looking. Although I don’t want to brag about certain physical gifts, I will just say that I’m built to please. Did I mention how smart I am? Anyway, let me know…. B|;)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yeah, and you were married to Morgan Fairchild at
one time.:D

One of the quickest ways to catch someone in a lie about being a skydiver is when they start bragging about having "jumped with a board" (aka skysurfing). Why? Because whuffos, for some reason, think its the coolest thing you could possibly do skydiving, but it was basically a fad in skydiving that has all but gone away.

Who knows, maybe your boyfriend did a few jumps a while back. Maybe he did the things he says he did. Maybe he's a poser. If he was or had been a jumper, he would have most likely gone to the DZ. If for no other reason then to make you buy a case of beer for your FIRST jump and drink all of it for you.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

My boyfriend is a skydiver

No, he's not. Sorry.

If your boyfriend was a skydiver, he would never have missed a trip to the DZ, let alone a trip to the DZ where his girlfriend was going to make a jump. Even if his back hurt, he didn't have to jump, but to not go to the DZ at all?

While I"m leaning towards the "not a skydiver" side of this, there are other possibilities. For example, maybe he's a douchebag and nobody at the DZ likes him, so he doesn't want to go. Or maybe he got banned for doing something stupid. Who knows. There are lots of reasons for him to possibly make up reasons why he couldn't go jumping.

He does sound like a tool box though.