RMK

Magazine Article on Jump Ships in Loop

"And how you can fly them on a PPL!"
That will be an interesting read and I am sure will be a hot debate here, again.

It's a UK magazine, so as long as they are dealing with European airspace and registration the FAR's do not apply.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I'm probably wrong, but I think that you can fly jumpers on a PPL as long as you're not being paid. I think some people do it do build up hours?

I'm sure there's more to it than that though.

If anyone is being paid, such as the DZO, then the pilot would be violating the FAR's.

There was a case a few years back (non jumping related) where a pilot flew some people to party in the Bahamas (?). The person hosting the party was charging people to attend but the pilot flew a few guest to help out and did not get paid a cent. His license was suspended because someone was getting paid. This was an article in AOPA so I may be a little off on some of the details.

On the other hand, if a private pilot flew jumpers and it was in no way related to a commercial operation, and he didn't charge more than a pro rated share of expenses, then it may be OK. But when dealing with the FAA, it's better to be safe than sorry.

These are U.S. rules, of course.

But when dealing with the FAA, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Even when flying a UK registered plane in the UK, as discussed in a UK publication?

Wow. I didn't realize the FAA was really that bad!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Even when flying a UK registered plane in the UK, as discussed in a UK publication?

Sorry, I didn't think I would have to explain that this was in reference to the U.S. I assumed most semi intelligent people would understand that. Obviously I was wrong. I don't think you will find a lot of private pilots from the UK flying people to a party in the Bahamas.

Now really...

He begins with "But when dealing with the FAA..."

He also pointed out that he is talking about rules in the USA, "These are U.S. rules, of course."

If you are flying a UK registered aircraft, in the UK, then you are not dealing with the FAA.

How clear does he have to make it?

Now really...

He begins with "But when dealing with the FAA..."

He also pointed out that he is talking about rules in the USA, "These are U.S. rules, of course."

If you are flying a UK registered aircraft, in the UK, then you are not dealing with the FAA.

Just to be fair, I edited to add "these are U.S. rules, of course". Although I did add it before I read Dave's post. I was editing while he was posting.

I thought I should add that in case there was some confusion. :S

" ... DeHavilland Beaver ..."

with the original radial engine or was it a Turbo-Beaver?
How many seats?
Seats or benches?
What type of seat belts?
How fast did it climb?
How high did it climb?
What sort of steps or floater bars?
Any tips on how to launch exits?

The editor of the magazine has provided me a PDF of the article however, it is a 5MB file even in low-res.

Is it possible for the mods to accept this file and make a link for others to see? It is OK with the Editor of Loop Magazine to post a copy of the PDF.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

Riggerpaul, I can probably explain him better.
I think some people are compelled to add insult whenever they see the opportunity. Its a mental thing and possible has something to do with low self esteem
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime