IWannaSkydive

Weight Restrictions?

Hey guys,

I'm new to skydiving, however I have always wanted to do it. I've been looking into getting certified here in Canada, and it doesn't seem too expensive, I think I can afford it.

i do have some concerns however. I am not a small guy, I'm 6'3 and I weigh 230lbs. I'm not extremely physically fit, however I can hold my own. Just curious if weight will be an issue? one of the local DZ's in my area has a weight limit of 220lbs for their students, so I'm not eligible there...

I don't understand the weight issues really because you see people doing tandem jumps and they easily weigh 150lbs, and then you see an instructor who weighs 180lbs all together that is well over 300 lbs...Could I not use the same chute they use? Like I've stated, I'm new to this and really don't know much about it.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this for me, thanks! :)

I would think you should be able to find a place somewhere not too far away that would take you. The weight becomes an issue because the gear is only rated for 500 LBS total weight and the rig weights about 55 lbs leaving 445 LBS to split between two people. Generally, one would not want to take a 5'4" 150 LBS instructor and put them with a student that is 6'3" and heavy so just putting in a
weight limit helps. Some DZ will off set instructor to students to allow for heavier students and others will not.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

TheCaptain and I were posting at about the same time. He is thinking you want to do a tandem jump, and his reply covers that aspect just fine.

From the sound of your question, I think you might be interested in becoming a skydiver, not just a one-time tandem student.

My reply addresses that issue.

There are a number of reasons for the weight restriction.

The reserve parachute that is part of the student rigs used by a dropzone may have a weight limit that becomes a problem with a jumper your size. The weight limit on a reserve parachute is actually a legal restriction. Though you may sometimes see an individual jumper who is willing to exceed such a legal limit, you will see it far less often in the student environment.

That said, not all gear is the same, and you may be able to find a dropzone whose equipment can handle your size and weight. Don't give up just because the first place you checked had to turn you away.

The tandem rigs, while certainly capable of handling the weight, are significantly different from your everyday sport skydiving rig, and they are not appropriate for student use.

The tandem rigs, while certainly capable of handling the weight, are significantly different from your everyday sport skydiving rig, and they are not appropriate for student use.

Thanks that's what I was wondering.

Does anyone know of any DZ's in the Ottawa/Gatineau area of Ontario Canada who would take someone my size? Even as a tandem? I've been wanting to do this my entire life, and I really don't want weight to be the only issue stopping me from doing this! [:/]

I really don't want weight to be the only issue stopping me from doing this!

It doesnt have to stop you, you can always lose that 10lbs.... I know that sounds harsh, but I know of more than one person that did lose weight in order to jump. There is a guy at my dz who lost a lot more than 10lbs so he could jump.

It doesnt have to stop you, you can always lose that 10lbs.... I know that sounds harsh, but I know of more than one person that did lose weight in order to jump. There is a guy at my dz who lost a lot more than 10lbs so he could jump.

Yeah I'd love to just go outside and go for a run. [:/] I've got Rheumotoid Arthritis which makes some exercises very difficult and painful however if there is no alternative I will lose the weight, no question about it.

Yeah I'd love to just go outside and go for a run. [:/] I've got Rheumotoid Arthritis which makes some exercises very difficult and painful however if there is no alternative I will lose the weight, no question about it.

I have RA as well. Ive found that regular exercise helps my joints feel MUCH better. That initial push does suck tho I agree. Start slow and work your way up. I really hurt myself in high school by over pushing my limits. I wish you the best of luck :)

I have RA as well. Ive found that regular exercise helps my joints feel MUCH better. That initial push does suck tho I agree. Start slow and work your way up. I really hurt myself in high school by over pushing my limits. I wish you the best of luck :)

Oh wow! I have not came across too many people with RA so good to know I'm not the only person interested in this sport who has RA! Anyways thanks a lot for the motivation. I'll look around for a little while longer and if I have no luck I'll have to shed off the pounds I guess! :P

Thanks again :)

This may be a small community, but it's a HUGE support system :)

It's a HUGE support system because it's a small community. It helps that there isn't more than one degree of seperation (I may not know you, but I'll bet there's at least one person we both know).

To the OP:

The gear is only tested to 254 lbs (US standard, but it's used all over). That includes the weight of the gear. 220 lbs is as high as you can go with standard gear.

There is a group that call themselves the "Anvil Brothers" (I bet you can guess why;)). They would be the ones who would know about the special gear for heavy students. I know there is some, but I don't know more than that.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Hey guys,

I'm new to skydiving, however I have always wanted to do it. I've been looking into getting certified here in Canada, and it doesn't seem too expensive, I think I can afford it.

i do have some concerns however. I am not a small guy, I'm 6'3 and I weigh 230lbs. I'm not extremely physically fit, however I can hold my own. Just curious if weight will be an issue?

Most gear is rated for a maximum of 254 pounds out the door. 230 pounds of you plus 30 pounds of gear don't fit under the legal limit.

Some sport skydiving gear is rated for a maximum of 275 pounds. With a geared up weight of 260 pounds you'd be fine here even if you ate a big breakfast. For student training you'll need to call around for a DZ which has newer student gear with those sorts of weight ratings.

Really heavy people have learned to skydive on modified tandem equipment but you're not that big.

I don't understand the weight issues really because you see people doing tandem jumps and they easily weigh 150lbs, and then you see an instructor who weighs 180lbs all together that is well over 300 lbs

Tandem gear is tested and rated to higher limits, although modifications would be need to put it in a solo skydiving configuration.

[reply
The gear is only tested to 254 lbs (US standard, but it's used all over). That includes the weight of the gear. 220 lbs is as high as you can go with standard gear.

Not true any longer. The current TSOC-23d allows testing to higher limits. One specific example is the Aerodyne Icon Harness/container and Smart Reserve. Both are rated to a maximum suspended weight of 300lbs. However, the reserve has a lower student reccommended weight limit due to wing loading / performance concerns.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Parachute School of Toronto (Solo max weight 250 pounds)
5714 Smith Blvd., PO Box 73
Baldwin, Ontario L0E 1A0
Canada

1-800-DO-1-JUMP (1-800-361-5867)
[email protected]
http://www.parachuteschool.com

or

Skydive Gananoque (Weight limit 220 pounds)
258 Airport Road - P.O. Box 147
Gananoque, Ontario, Ontario K7G 2T7
Canada

613-382-5114
613-382-5114 (fax)
[email protected]
http://www.skydivegan.com

or

Gatineau Ottawa Skydive (Weight limit 220 pounds)
L'aeroport de Gatineau
Gatineau Quebec, Ontario
Canada

819-669-5867
[email protected]
http://www.goskydive.ca

BTW I went from 305 pounds to 208 pounds so I could skydive,,,How bad do you want it??

Have Fun,,be safe.

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

There is a group that call themselves the "Anvil Brothers" (I bet you can guess why;)). They would be the ones who would know about the special gear for heavy students. I know there is some, but I don't know more than that.

The Anvil Brothers got their start at my home dz, Skydive Houston, but AFAIK the "big boy" AFF rig (modified Racer Tandem) was sold to a fun jumper a few years ago... but you can always try calling to see what their new weight limit is: 1-800-JUMPOUT.

I am not a small guy, I'm 6'3 and I weigh 230lbs. I'm not extremely physically fit, however I can hold my own.

If you have any problems with flexibility, the type of aircraft you jump from could be a consideration. A Cessna 182 or 206 would be a tight fit. If you find a DZ to jump at that operates either of those, have a look at the plane, and maybe put on a rig and have one of the instructors walk you through the aircraft proceudres before you start your training. After a full day of training is a crappy time to find out you don't fit, or have to struggle to fit into the plane. Remeber if you are doing AFF, there will be at least two instructors in there with you and a coreographed routine you will have to follow in order to properly exit the aircraft.

Jumping at a DZ with an aircraft such as a Cessna Caravan, Twin Otter, or King Air would make this a non-issue. None of those planes are short on room to manuver inside the aircraft. It might represent a big improvment to the quality of your experience if you are comfortable in and around the aircraft.

It might be worthwhile to lose the weight needed so you can jump at any of the DZs listed up-thread. It looks like you only need to drop 10 or 15 lbs. to be under the limit for any of those places. It will also help in making the harness more comfortable (most student harnesses are designed for a more average sized guy) and you won't miss the pounds when it comes time to land.

I am not a small guy, I'm 6'3 and I weigh 230lbs. I'm not extremely physically fit, however I can hold my own.

If you have any problems with flexibility, the type of aircraft you jump from could be a consideration. A Cessna 182 or 206 would be a tight fit. If you find a DZ to jump at that operates either of those, have a look at the plane, and maybe put on a rig and have one of the instructors walk you through the aircraft proceudres before you start your training. After a full day of training is a crappy time to find out you don't fit, or have to struggle to fit into the plane. Remeber if you are doing AFF, there will be at least two instructors in there with you and a coreographed routine you will have to follow in order to properly exit the aircraft.

Jumping at a DZ with an aircraft such as a Cessna Caravan, Twin Otter, or King Air would make this a non-issue. None of those planes are short on room to manuver inside the aircraft. It might represent a big improvment to the quality of your experience if you are comfortable in and around the aircraft.

It might be worthwhile to lose the weight needed so you can jump at any of the DZs listed up-thread. It looks like you only need to drop 10 or 15 lbs. to be under the limit for any of those places. It will also help in making the harness more comfortable (most student harnesses are designed for a more average sized guy) and you won't miss the pounds when it comes time to land.

Flexibility is not an issue, and neither of those aircrafts will be an issue either as I am a Pilot and have flown in most of the planes listed B|

I've started a diet as of today and hopefully I can shed off the necessary weight needed to jump! ;)

Thanks for the reply! :D

Parachute School of Toronto (Solo max weight 250 pounds)
5714 Smith Blvd., PO Box 73
Baldwin, Ontario L0E 1A0
Canada

1-800-DO-1-JUMP (1-800-361-5867)
[email protected]
http://www.parachuteschool.com

or

Skydive Gananoque (Weight limit 220 pounds)
258 Airport Road - P.O. Box 147
Gananoque, Ontario, Ontario K7G 2T7
Canada

613-382-5114
613-382-5114 (fax)
[email protected]
http://www.skydivegan.com

or

Gatineau Ottawa Skydive (Weight limit 220 pounds)
L'aeroport de Gatineau
Gatineau Quebec, Ontario
Canada

819-669-5867
[email protected]
http://www.goskydive.ca

BTW I went from 305 pounds to 208 pounds so I could skydive,,,How bad do you want it??

Have Fun,,be safe.

Thanks a lot for the links! ;)

I am not a small guy, I'm 6'3 and I weigh 230lbs.

Excellent!!! You will be great as front float on a Caravan or Otter. B|

[After you are licensed you may find yourself hanging onto the outside of the airplane at the front of the door to block some of the wind that others will fight as they climb into position. Often the smaller folks are glad to have a big guy along for this reason. It is NOT a big deal... I am merely teasing a bit.];)
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

The responses have been good but I want to weigh in on one point. (sorry for the pun)

Just to be clear, the weight restrictions and associated concerns have less to do with the gear actually failing than with narrowing the margin for pilot error.

New skydivers have to learn and we all make mistakes early on. The larger gear is intended to give you more room to screw up without getting hurt.

What this means to you is that you need to be sure you understand what is expected of you very clearly. Practice until it is truly automatic.

Piloting experience will be a huge help in the landing but you need to be proficient with the PLF and be ready to do so on every landing. It is easy to transition from feet and knees together and slightly bent to a stand up but if you are not already in that position, you will likely hit the ground before you are.

You will just have to put on your big boy pants and understand the consequences of screwing up. There is no reason you shouldn't be fine as long as you really apply yourself.

Good luck and have fun.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

The responses have been good but I want to weigh in on one point. (sorry for the pun)

Just to be clear, the weight restrictions and associated concerns have less to do with the gear actually failing than with narrowing the margin for pilot error.

New skydivers have to learn and we all make mistakes early on. The larger gear is intended to give you more room to screw up without getting hurt.

What this means to you is that you need to be sure you understand what is expected of you very clearly. Practice until it is truly automatic.

Piloting experience will be a huge help in the landing but you need to be proficient with the PLF and be ready to do so on every landing. It is easy to transition from feet and knees together and slightly bent to a stand up but if you are not already in that position, you will likely hit the ground before you are.

You will just have to put on your big boy pants and understand the consequences of screwing up. There is no reason you shouldn't be fine as long as you really apply yourself.

Good luck and have fun.

Thanks a lot!

A local DZ says I can sill do tandem jumps, and thye said maybe they can work something out this spring, so I'll definitely be doing a tandem in the spring and hopefully I can start my solo certification!

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, Cheers!B|

As a videot and not a tandem master I will offer a tidbit here. On landing if you get you feet and knees up for landing you should be fine even if overloaded. Your goal here should be to keep your feet out of the way and slide on your butt if there is still speed after the flare. Let the TI time it out and deal with the results. Most tandem injuries I see come from students trying to stop the planet with their feet with another grown person and 50ish lbs of gear on their back.

You will have a blast. Do yourself a favor and get the video. You can only have one FIRST skydive.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

Mile High Parachuting at Arnprior might be an option, also. They list their maximumm student weight for tandems as 230lb, although there's nothing about solo student weight limits, but you can always call them and ask. That said, there may not be too many dropzones that can answer your questions at this time of year, being that it's winter and most people don't like to jump when it's this cold.

I've started a diet as of today and hopefully I can shed off the necessary weight needed to jump! ;)

...and therein lies your solution...for numerous reasons.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239