jsaxton

The value of Zoo loads

Oh puleeze. I have been on loads where an "Airspeed" member, plane captains, etc. have taken out the exit or the base. Zoo loads happen, simple as that. You gonna stop jumping with everyone???:P;)B|

I think that the concept of, "ZOO Load" encompasses more than the occasional screw-up by a single jumper.

Kevin K.

Zoo loads are also the place where the junior guy gets to show that he can participate on the non-zoo loads.

That's if anyone is watching from the "good" loads. Maybe not.

Best way to get to the good big loads. Come do a 4 way with me and my friends. Low pressure, but if you fly your slot, we notice. If you don't fly your slot, be open to instruction.

Zoo loads drive me crazy because it is usually the same people who mess up time and time again and never learn from their mistakes. Stereotypically, it is the guy who jumps once every month, invites everyone on the dropzone on the jump, goes low/takes out the base/etc, and then laughs "oh well it was fun though." I thinking to myself, "thanks buddy you just wasted my jump ticket." I'm not referring to the newbies who are still getting their skills down; that's one thing. I'm referring to the idiot who laughs "oh well it was fun" over and over when my money gets wasted. I started freeflying just to get away from these situations! Zoo loads can be fun and a learning experience if it happens every once and a while. But every jump? It just loses its appeal. And for the guy that jumps every once and while, it makes no difference to him because it is only that occasional jump- not every weekend.
http://3ringnecklace.com/

Zoo loads drive me crazy because it is usually the same people who mess up time and time again and never learn from their mistakes. Stereotypically, it is the guy who jumps once every month, invites everyone on the dropzone on the jump, goes low/takes out the base/etc, and then laughs "oh well it was fun though." I thinking to myself, "thanks buddy you just wasted my jump ticket." I'm not referring to the newbies who are still getting their skills down; that's one thing. I'm referring to the idiot who laughs "oh well it was fun" over and over when my money gets wasted. I started freeflying just to get away from these situations! Zoo loads can be fun and a learning experience if it happens every once and a while. But every jump? It just loses its appeal. And for the guy that jumps every once and while, it makes no difference to him because it is only that occasional jump- not every weekend.

I've got one word to describe the people you speak of,

CHUCKLEHEADS.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

haha i totally agree with you here, i can recall a few jumps i was pissed about. mainly free flaliers who gave me a whole jump on my back....waiting....waiting.....oh well its pull time

Zoo loads can generally be anticipated based on the participants. If you don't like them, don't participate.

But sometimes they can be fun :)
Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hey I already told you I was sorry for botching the exit on Sunday, what more do you want?!?!?!?!?!?!?!>:(>:(

:P;):)
I got nuthin

zoo loads are a little diffrent with freeflying as well. Personally as someone who has done a lot of them and is past the point of needing to prove himself to people, i personally odnt like them anymore and if i do them i only get the canopy ride out of it or i feel like i got a fun two way with a bunch of people zooming around me. Spend your money wisely. Instead of doing 2 zoo jumps do a coach jump with someone and learn.

Zoo loads are part of "paying it forward" in this sport. Sure, once you get the experience to be really good, you would much rather do a 20-point 4-way dive. But someone has to help the new guys along and get them up to speed, and zoo loads happen in that process. After enough zoo loads, the new jumpers start getting good, and a few years later you get to do 20-point 4-ways with the former new guys. But there are always new guys, and therefore always zoo loads. I go along and consider them just part of a normal day's fun, and doing my part to give the new guys the opportunity to gain experience and learn.

Zoo loads are part of "paying it forward" in this sport.

Small jumps which include at most one inexperienced skydiver are both a better learning experience for the new guy (who gets to try at more points with people who aren't moving all over or being distracted by the yahoos zooming past) and more fun for the experienced people (who can actually accomplish something - flat I can catch nearly every one with enough skill to be cleared for self supervision, and have pretty good odds head-up even with people corking. Where the other person is out second I can probably get out of the way if they get too aggressive).

Depending on your experienced/inexperienced break down what would be an 8 "way" zoo is better split into a pair of four ways, two three ways and a two way, or four 2-ways.

I often suggest splitting things which would get out of hand before the plane loads.