hymandd732

B12 snaps

Downside is they are a hazard if doing CRW.

How so? I have a couple hundred CRW jumps with a rig that has B-12's. Never a problem.

I think he meant if you ever got close to another canopy. In your case, they're perfectly safe. ;)

Kevin K.

In the early 70's everyone had either B-12 snaps or quick ejector hardware. I don't recall ever seeing a failure back then. I loved my quick ejectors. I've heard people say good riddance to junk, but they served me well.

I also wonder about B-12 snaps today. I wonder if they might not be a safer choice for chest straps. Many jumpers forget to fasten up their chest strap. I did that twice when I started using a thread through chest strap.

I think there would be less chace of forgetting if there was a buckle to fasten there. I don't remember anyone in the old days forgetting to fasten a chest strap with a snap on the end. Yet today it is pretty common for a jumper to forget to thread that strap through...

I also wonder about B-12 snaps today. I wonder if they might not be a safer choice for chest straps. Many jumpers forget to fasten up their chest strap. I did that twice when I started using a thread through chest strap.

I think there would be less chace of forgetting if there was a buckle to fasten there. I don't remember anyone in the old days forgetting to fasten a chest strap with a snap on the end. Yet today it is pretty common for a jumper to forget to thread that strap through...

I've advocated this for some time as standard equipment on chest straps, but I usually get eye-rolled at. I generally keep it to myself these days.

Sport gear has improved astronomically since Back In The Day, but the lack of redundancies in modern harnesses sometimes make me gulp a bit. I dunno; maybe if it ain't broke there's no need to fix it. (Is there?)

When I held up a B-12 Snap - during a riggers' course - I got a blank stare out of the audience, because the young skydivers had never seen B-12 Snaps before!
That was two years ago, at the busiest DZ in Canada: (Nouvelaire, Farnham, Quebec)

Similarly, we have a couple of tandem student harnesses gathering dust on the back shelf, because one of our TIs refuses to use B-12 Snaps, considering them a safety hazard.
Even if only one or two tandem students opened B-12 Snaps - while walking to the airplane, it is too high a risk.

" ... Negative. B-12's are not used by the military. A QR system is utilized however it is more prone to failure than the B-12s

..."

...............................................................................................

This issue came up last night - during a lecture to aerobatic pilots.
We found two broken QE Snaps.
Quick Ejector Snaps have lots of delicate little springs inside that wear out long before the rest of the harness.
That is why the United States Air Force introduced a screw-in version of QE Snaps, back in the 1960s.
The repair scheme is similar to replacing soft RW-1-1982 rings: cut off the defective hardware and screw in the replacement.

I also wonder about B-12 snaps today. I wonder if they might not be a safer choice for chest straps. Many jumpers forget to fasten up their chest strap.

B-12 on chest strap = bad idea for now popular hybrid jumps (someone hanging from your chest strap)...

That and I know from experience with OLD gear that had like hardware, Combat RW can leave some nasty ribcage dents from the big snaps! :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

B-12 snaps on chest straps were an early casualty of gear modernization. I really don't remember them on any of my rigs past the Starlite (and it might not have been on that).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I don't care to have B12s on my personal gear. It's a matter of bulk and comfort.

I also don't like how the unbuckled B12s swing into everything.

B12 on the cheststrap is not a good idea for some people. Faceplants happen. a bulky B12 embedded in your ribcage will be quite painful. A lower profile adapter, like the quickrelease used on the Morpheus BASE rigs or the new Prodigy2 Wingsuits sound a lot more reasonable.

That's why... ya take 'em off & then hook them back up, takes half a second and makes walking back in with an armload of gear an ease.

I unhook my B12's after I land, do a little "hip wiggle" they fly up in front of me and I catch them. then I snap them together.

It's a fun way to kill time on the long walk back to the hanger. I suppose I could just learn some accuracy??? :)
As for the comfort issue.... IMHO it's a non-issue!

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

That's why... ya take 'em off & then hook them back up, takes half a second and makes walking back in with an armload of gear an ease.

as always, the problem is KISS. It takes time to learn to hook the B12 back on, and it takes effort. As we all know people are usually more lazy, so it's likely that they will keep not locking the B12's, thus the swings will continue. Just an observation...

>Any idea of the failure rate of those?

Failure rate is moderate. We had ~20 student rigs with B-12's and we'd see maybe a failure a year, due both to spring problems (i.e. wouldn't stay closed) and problems with bending or dinging the exterior clip (i.e. became very hard to open or close.)

I have not seen a failure in the air, though.

These could not be classified as “failure”. It would be abuse of the gear that was caught during routine inspection/maintained.

I jumped B-12’s for 30 years without any problems and they made the gear more user friendly. Someone we both know has jumped either quick ejects or B-12’s for almost 40 years without incident. There is no valid reason not to jump them.

The reasons sport rigs went to quick fit adapters were first price. Quick fit adapter will run about $8.00 each, B-12’s will run about $19.00 each, and Quick ejectors will run almost $60.00. Another reason is the ease of production; you only have one piece of hardware to mount. And the last reason has already been mentioned, the cool factor.

But skydivers don’t always use common sense and reason when making gear choices.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

ya take 'em off & then hook them back up, takes half a second and makes walking back in with an armload of gear an ease.

as always, the problem is KISS. It takes time to learn to hook the B12 back on, and it takes effort.

The B-12's are a lot quicker than wriggling out of permanently affixed leg straps. So if you're judging by ease, speed and simplicity, then B-12's win.

ya take 'em off & then hook them back up, takes half a second and makes walking back in with an armload of gear an ease.

as always, the problem is KISS. It takes time to learn to hook the B12 back on, and it takes effort.

The B-12's are a lot quicker than wriggling out of permanently affixed leg straps. So if you're judging by ease, speed and simplicity, then B-12's win.

WRONG.

what's easy for YOU, may not be so easy/simple for everyone else.

Once again, I PERSONALLY find B12s to be too bulky and an extra unnecessary step. I also have friends who ordered them on their new rigs because they like the ease of not having to wiggle into legstraps.

determining that your personal preference is the smartest/easiest choice is too shortsighted.

as always, the problem is KISS. It takes time to learn to hook the B12 back on, and it takes effort. As we all know people are usually more lazy, so it's likely that they will keep not locking the B12's, thus the swings will continue. Just an observation...

................................................................................................

When glider pilots leave B-12 Snaps dangling, they soon get noisy, annoying, expensive dents in their shiny airplanes.

B-12 snaps on chest straps were an early casualty of gear modernization. I really don't remember them on any of my rigs past the Starlite (and it might not have been on that).

Wendy P.

..............................................................................................

I suspect that B-12 Snaps (and QE Snaps) fell out of fashion on chest straps because they were too heavy.
The long term solution is probably those fancy, low profile COBRA Snaps sold by Para-Gear.
... though I prefer the "guarded" low-profile bayonet fittings used by SPEKON. SPEKON's release buttons are protected by a sheet metal cover that vaguely resembles the cover on Capewell canopy releases.

................................................................................................

When glider pilots leave B-12 Snaps dangling, they soon get noisy, annoying, expensive dents in their shiny airplanes.

~ I hear that if left swinging, they can be kinda tough on a glass door to the packing room too...;)

~Also in reply to likestojump, if the 'time & effort' it takes to 'train' on the proper use of B12's is actually an issue of concern with a Skydiver...they might be better off 'training' how to pick up a 7 10 split using reverse backspin. ;)

It's like training someone how to snap on a dog leash, hardly Rocket Surgery. :ph34r: