hymandd732

B12 snaps

Pluses -

Easy in/out

Legstraps can be tacked/sewn into place, so no slipping

Minuses -

One more thing to break (springs in the clip)

Potentially bad failure mode (potential release if the spring is broken and the strap becomes unloaded)

Another snag/pinch point

Most people say no, and I understand both sides of the fence on it, I like them as an option, and think about getting them on my next rig... the only downside that I can see is they could fail...

But you should be checking your gear before every jump...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Potentially bad failure mode (potential release if the spring is broken and the strap becomes unloaded)

Any idea of the failure rate of those? I know they've long since fallen out of use in civilian gear, but don't they still use them on military gear and pilot bailout rigs?

Any idea of the failure rate of those? I know they've long since fallen out of use in civilian gear, but don't they still use them on military gear and pilot bailout rigs?

Yes they do
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

>Any idea of the failure rate of those?

Failure rate is moderate. We had ~20 student rigs with B-12's and we'd see maybe a failure a year, due both to spring problems (i.e. wouldn't stay closed) and problems with bending or dinging the exterior clip (i.e. became very hard to open or close.)

I have not seen a failure in the air, though.

I am interested in opinions of the B12 snaps on the harness. Like? Not like? Reasons?

I love mine... so much easier to get in and out.

Same here...Every rig I've ever owned had either B-12's or QE's.

Never had a 'failure' or a problem with them as Bill mentioned regarding student rigs...then again when ya own it and understand it, ya tend to take better care of it.

IIRC the reason B-12's fell out of fashion was cost and weight, neither are a concern for me...and the fact I can get out of the rig fast is an attractive plus.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yes they do

Negative. B-12's are not used by the military. A QR system is utilized however it is more prone to failure than the B-12s

I have them on mine as it was an older talon rig. I like them so much I will get them on my next rig. My hip is not as flexible due to past injury and it makes so much easier to get on and off.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

Nope, she has a job and a place to live...

Dont you have a MALO to play with? She cant be too far...

I'll bet the military tested the heck out of them both and stuck with the B-12's for a reason,,,,,,,,

They actually use a QR that makes getting out of your rig even easier, the only con is that when the ejector snap is not seated all the way into the ball detent the quick fit V ring will pop out. When that happens it hurts really bad, especially when it happens on exit.

I've had them on most of my rigs. I just ordered a new rig and it will have B-12's. Love them, never had issue with them. Some people will tell you they're NOT as comfy as step thru harness. Those would be the people who never had B-12's. Go ahead and spend the extra few dollars, then you too can sit back and laugh as the "cool" guys contort and squirm to get into their gear. B|

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I'll bet the military tested the heck out of them both and stuck with the B-12's for a reason,,,,,,,,sport skydiving doesn't use them cuz they didn't make the coolness cut !!! and they weigh in at what ? 8-9 pounds ? :P

Tensile Strength: 2500 lbs. and 6oz each. The only failure I have ever heard of is just the spring, not failure of the metal which would be catastrophic.

My friend just put them on and I think I will join him. Again its a matter of getting into the gear as we get old and brittle.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Downside is they are a hazard if doing CRW.

How so? I have a couple hundred CRW jumps with a rig that has B-12's. Never a problem.

Theoretically, a line could slip into the snap if you were in a wrap or entaglement. It could happen?? It's something to be aware of.... But, it's nothing a good hook knife couldn't cure. B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Downside is they are a hazard if doing CRW.

How so? I have a couple hundred CRW jumps with a rig that has B-12's. Never a problem.

Theoretically, a line could slip into the snap if you were in a wrap or entanglement. It could happen?? It's something to be aware of.... But, it's nothing a good hook knife couldn't cure. B|

To varying degrees, not much IN the world of Skydiving a good knife can't cure! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I've done most of 1000 + freefalls with either B12's and Quick Ejector Snap hardwear and 250+ military static line with Quick Ejector's.

Only problem I had was the metal gate got bent on the B12's once so it was hard to open, just used a screw driver to bent it out and it was good to go.

They are much easier to put on and take off, my opinion, everything will come full circle and they will once again be popular!
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar