sdub2221

Cell phones and skydiving

Alright, I'm going to be the weirdo and post the obvious: Doesn't the FAA not allow having cell phones turned on during flights? So shouldn't you have it turned off on takeoff, then switch it on if you need to use it when you land (or under canopy, whatever)? A bonus is that this should fix any issues with it freezing/locking up. I'm just sayin.....

BTW, please correct me if I'm mistaken.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

Alright, I'm going to be the weirdo and post the obvious: Doesn't the FAA not allow having cell phones turned on during flights? So shouldn't you have it turned off on takeoff, then switch it on if you need to use it when you land (or under canopy, whatever)? A bonus is that this should fix any issues with it freezing/locking up. I'm just sayin.....

It's actually more of a safety issue regarding people paying attention and being able to hear flight attendant orders in case of an emergency...same thing for iPods & video players ect.

It doesn't have any magic effects on the controls or communications of a commercial AC. :ph34r:

You will however drain the battery pretty quick on a cross country fight because it's constantly searching for towers.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Plus, it keeps that shockingly loud and annoying lady two rows up from screaming into her phone the whole time. :D

You know you want to donkey punch those people on the tarmac sometimes. :)

I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

Plus, it keeps that shockingly loud and annoying lady two rows up from screaming into her phone the whole time. :D

I was leaving Houston last week when the obnoxious girl in front of me calls her boyfriend during the climb-out.

Talking smoochy smoochy way to loud, the male FA starts walking up the isle to tell her again to turn it off...I leaned forward and said 'come on baby hang it up and come back to bed'.

I wished I had MY phone on 'cause the glare I got from her was a picture worth a million bucks! :D

Now, if I drop my cell phone from under canopy into the relative wind, do I need to create more drag or pull front risers???

Thread blend...

Fronts if you're skydiving from a plane while in a moving car headed East.

How about you land off in a field and break you leg?

Old guys are tough, they don't complain if they break their leg. They just limp back to the hangar, have a beer and have it looked at on Monday.

This new femur thing is a generation X problem. Before cell phones we didn't break our femurs.

;)
Onward and Upward!

I was leaving Houston last week when the obnoxious girl in front of me calls her boyfriend during the climb-out.

Talking smoochy smoochy way to loud, the male FA starts walking up the isle to tell her again to turn it off...I leaned forward and said 'come on baby hang it up and come back to bed'.

I wished I had MY phone on 'cause the glare I got from her was a picture worth a million bucks! :D

Oh gawd no you didn't?????

Heh, heh of course you did.

Nice job.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Using a cell phone while skydiving is dangerous. You won't look out for other jumpers at breakoff, and you'll probably neglect to wave off.

That being said, keeping one in your jumpsuit pocket is pretty much a no-brainer, IMO. I'm never without mine.

It's actually more of a safety issue regarding people paying attention and being able to hear flight attendant orders in case of an emergency...same thing for iPods & video players ect.

It doesn't have any magic effects on the controls or communications of a commercial AC. :ph34r:

You will however drain the battery pretty quick on a cross country fight because it's constantly searching for towers.

It may or may not have any "magic effects" (probably not).
But it hasn't been "certified" (due to costs) as safe. I saw on National Geographic when they scrapped a 747 that a certified coffee maker (tested safe and with full documentation) was worth $2000.

The other problem using a cell phone from a plane is that it ties up too many cells.
On the ground you will be talking on one cell, and locking that frequency up in maybe one or two of the adjacent cells.

Because the higher altitude increases the range of the phone, you can easily lock up that frequency on dozens or more cells if you use it in a plane.

At least that's what I was told some time ago.
If I'm wrong (in whole or part) please correct me.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Using a cell phone while skydiving is dangerous. You won't look out for other jumpers at breakoff, and you'll probably neglect to wave off.

Ain't hands-free great! Makes taking grips so much easier.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

>But it hasn't been "certified" (due to costs) as safe.

It has in some cases. We got an American Airlines Super 80 approved for some in-flight cellphone demonstrations.

>The other problem using a cell phone from a plane is that it ties up too
>many cells.

Definitely a problem. It's not hard to get around, but no one wants to saddle regular cellphones with the additional costs of dealing with that.

The past two weekends I have taken my phone with me on every jump. I have noticed that it lags, and freezes up to the point where I have to take the battery out to get it going again. My phone never does this. I thought it might be the pics and stuff on it, so I deleted all of them and some other stuff..but it's still freezing up. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem.

What was the ground temperature that/those days? Temperature at altitude could have been colder than the electronics in your phone could handle and hence the strange performance. Cold has a big effect on electronics and led screens and it doesn't always have to be extremes. Anything with a battery, an led screen, a hard drive and or electronics at altitude and in cold conditions is subject to perform less than ideal unless it has specifically been rated and designed to work in that type of environment and even then, those that have, still sometime act weird from time to time.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

wingsuits often land off

Why is that?

Main reason I've seen is in flocking everyone tends to target fix on the base and everyone else around them. Basically checking your slot, making sure no one kills you and not paying attention to the ground. If base flies off into the sunset everyone else does to.

My favorite is when free fallers give shit about it. It's easy to get home when the pilot is GPS spotting you and you're going straight down. Then when they go on a tracking jump, oh hey, they land off.

Funny how the difficulty ramps up when you're not going straight down and have to nav around flight paths, students, tandems, keep your slot, and dodge Mr Zoomy all while covering 3 miles of ground.

wingsuits often land off

Why is that?

Main reason I've seen is in flocking everyone tends to target fix on the base and everyone else around them. Basically checking your slot, making sure no one kills you and not paying attention to the ground. If base flies off into the sunset everyone else does to.

My favorite is when free fallers give shit about it. It's easy to get home when the pilot is GPS spotting you and you're going straight down. Then when they go on a tracking jump, oh hey, they land off.

Funny how the difficulty ramps up when you're not going straight down and have to nav around flight paths, students, tandems, keep your slot, and dodge Mr Zoomy all while covering 3 miles of ground.

It was a rhetorical question. I have plenty of knowledge as to why, but the bottom line is there is not need to land off. Bad navigation has gotten more the one ws pilot in a bad situation..... :S[:/]
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I have plenty of knowledge as to why, but the bottom line is there is not need to land off.

There's not a need for anyone ever to land off and yet it happens. It should be expected to happen more if you're flying a wingsuit and planned for: fly a bigger canopy that's forgiving of off landings, work on your canopy accuracy like your life may depend on it and carry a cell phone.

I have plenty of knowledge as to why, but the bottom line is there is not need to land off.

There's not a need for anyone ever to land off and yet it happens. It should be expected to happen more if you're flying a wingsuit and planned for: fly a bigger canopy that's forgiving of off landings, work on your canopy accuracy like your life may depend on it and carry a cell phone.

It should not be expected more to happen when flying a wingsuit. Proper navigation and opening altitudes will enable you to land on the dz every time. With over 4000+ ws jumps, I can count on one hand the number of time I have landed off of the drop zone.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

It should not be expected more to happen when flying a wingsuit. Proper navigation and opening altitudes will enable you to land on the dz every time. With over 4000+ ws jumps, I can count on one hand the number of time I have landed off of the drop zone.

I agree completely and can say the same about landing off. Wingsuits should actually be expected to never land off but we all know that doesn't happen just like it doesn't happen with skydivers and GPS spots. So for some, taking a cell phone IS a good idea.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING