sdub2221

Cell phones and skydiving

The past two weekends I have taken my phone with me on every jump. I have noticed that it lags, and freezes up to the point where I have to take the battery out to get it going again. My phone never does this. I thought it might be the pics and stuff on it, so I deleted all of them and some other stuff..but it's still freezing up. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem.

The past two weekends I have taken my phone with me on every jump. I have noticed that it lags, and freezes up to the point where I have to take the battery out to get it going again. My phone never does this. I thought it might be the pics and stuff on it, so I deleted all of them and some other stuff..but it's still freezing up. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem.

You're probably scaring the hell out of it.:)

I've taken mine on several hundred jumps. I keep it neatly stowed in the front pocket on the leg of my jumpsuit. Never had it freeze up or have any problems, so it may not be from jumping with it. I have had the phone come out on one jump, bad rotations dock! No, you just can't "call it" to find out where it is!

It's very handy to have with you, if you land out you can call for a ride, if your buddy gets hurt you can call 911. After you get some pics, of course!!;)

Jump more, post less!

Never had that problem as I have carried a cell phone both jumping (a great safety idea) and flying for years.

It should easily handle the barometric pressure changes but it could be that if its in a tight area you are somehow smooching it.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

At least a thousand jumps on mine.
I always carry one; wingsuits often land off.
And it's fun to call manifest from 3000' when you know you're landing off.:D Cuts the wait time.

Never had a problem with it freezing up in air or on ground.

99 all,

What possible reason other than screwing around would one want to carry a cell-phone with them for on a skydive? I mean, other then the possiblity of calling 911 to get yourself some help if you land way out and are hurt, okay, that's one where if you need it you need it, but beyond that, WTF? Are you going to have someone call you and remind you to PULL??!

:D
:P

Actually it was a dramatic wind change. It was the 3rd load of the day (and a tricky spotting day anyway). For the first 2 loads, ground winds were about 10 out of the north, and uppers were 40-50 out of the southsouthwest. We did the same jumprun on the 3rd load, and unfortunately exited right before the ground called up to say that the winds had shifted to and picked up out of the west. I actually opened up last doing a tandem video, pretty close to on top of the dropzone, the same spot I had opened all day, and backed up until 300-500 feet or so which is when I finally got some drive. The people getting out first were way short after the wind shift- jumprun had been into the uppers all day but downwind for the lowers, so the jumprun started a half mile short or so. The people getting out first thought they were fine until they started trying to fly back.

We actually used Skydive MidWest's Spot Calculator which worked well for the first 2 loads. The wind shift just caught the load by surprise. Next load we exited a mile west and all was good :-)

(And heck - I do a lot of CRW - the world is my dropzone :-)

99 all,

What possible reason other than screwing around would one want to carry a cell-phone with them for on a skydive? I mean, other then the possiblity of calling 911 to get yourself some help if you land way out and are hurt, okay, that's one where if you need it you need it, but beyond that, WTF? Are you going to have someone call you and remind you to PULL??!

To call manifest and get on the next (hot) load of coarse:P
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

99 all,

To call manifest and get on the next (hot) load of coarse:P

wingsuits often land off

Why is that?

Lodi is probably one of the busiest dz's in the US with wingsuits, and most never do.

Lodi doesn't have weird winds from mountains? I dunno. I have only once landed off when flying myself (long distance run cross wind) or with one/two other people. But have had several off-landings with Purple Mike, J-sho, Jeff, and a few others leading the flock.

My old phone didn't act up, but my new one does. First time I brought my new phone with me, I followed a cutaway student main&freebag. I thought, "I'll land with it I do have my new, shiny phone with me so I'll just call the DZ and tell them where I am". So I landed, picked up my phone, dialed the number to the manifest and... Nothing. It didn't freeze, it just refused to make the call. Tried a couple of other numbers, same thing. Similar results on a couple of other jumps.

It's a samsung. Dunno what model.

My old phone didn't act up, but my new one does. First time I brought my new phone with me, I followed a cutaway student main&freebag. I thought, "I'll land with it I do have my new, shiny phone with me so I'll just call the DZ and tell them where I am". So I landed, picked up my phone, dialed the number to the manifest and... Nothing. It didn't freeze, it just refused to make the call. Tried a couple of other numbers, same thing. Similar results on a couple of other jumps.

It's a samsung. Dunno what model.

Paying the bill might help?! :P

Even if you like getting exercise by walking back after landing out, there is a very good reason to have a cell phone.

A cell phone is valuable to call manifest and tell them that you are alive and well.

During nationals at Spaceland last year I had a teammate land out. He made a navigational error on the ground and walked away from the DZ. He was "missing" for 45 minutes. We had seen him under a good canopy at ~1000ft AGL, but no one had seen him land. We had no idea if he was hurt or merely lost.

A cell phone could have made a huge difference in the distress level experienced in manifest and by his teammates, even if he didn't want a ride.

I carry my phone often, especially on full altitude hop and pops.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!