michaelt

Lodi Facing Million Dollar Lawsuit

And please...as a sport...let's stop blaming the jumper okay?

He jumped out of that plane exactly as all of you would have with his jump numbers on that flight!

I saw it, and do not call me a liar!

as I would have ?? you are a damned liar !!!!!
you arrogant and mis-informed snot .. my first look back thru the door ... OF A FRIGGIN CESSNA 182, when I had hardly any jumps at all (and had never been in any airplane other than the ones I jumped out of) convinced me that anything other than a 'DOWN' exit was stupid ...

therefore, that guy was stupid ... DO NOT CALL ME A LIAR !!!

an injury is a tough price to pay for stupidity (sometimes called carelessness...same thing) but he signed a waiver saying I COULD BE STUPID AND IT'S MY FAULT ... what about that is hard to understand ??? apparently, the jury realized the same thing ..

When bill did my aff, back in 1989, I was sixteen.

My father dropped me off at bill's dropzone on a Wednesday, when he came back to the dz on Saturday, me and my dad did a 2way...My dad had gotten off student status there the month before...That first two way was out of Bill's Beech 118. Awesome!

I remember two things about my aff class out there 21 years and 12,000+ jumps ago....

Wait...I remember 3 things...cuz on Thursday, Bill had me mow the landing area.

Anyway, I remember two things about my aff class with bill...

#1 Bill said....."throughout this entire process, you are going to want to think...don't do that....I will do all your thinking for you."

I was like "cool"

#2 Bill walked me out to the 182 that he taught me in...it's the silver one....and he said..."you are going to think that you might hit the tail when we jump out....don't worry...that will never happen."

I was like "cool"

#3 We didn't hit the tail.
I was like "cool"

#4 When I did a jump out the of 99 I was told not to jump up, because unlike the Cessna, the 99 is going much faster and hitting the tail is actually a possibility.
I was like "oh damn, I almost hit the tail because I didn't listen"

#5 The next jump, I made sure to listen to what I was told, and didn't hit the tail
I was like "oh damn, that's not what happened, I didn't listen, I FUCKED up and did hit the tail!"

cuz I thought you said this....

"you arrogant and mis-informed snot .. my first look back thru the door ... OF A FRIGGIN CESSNA 182, when I had hardly any jumps at all (and had never been in any airplane other than the ones I jumped out of) convinced me that anything other than a 'DOWN' exit was stupid ... "

After I got off student status at Lodi...the only thing I was ever "told" was to ...."GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO!"

Had you turned around and looked, you would have discovered exactly who the idiots were.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

>And please...as a sport...let's stop blaming the jumper okay?

We have to. Unless we can learn from his mistake (and he did make a mistake) we are going to repeat it. It doesn't mean that he's evil, or that he deserved it, or that he was stupid. But it does mean that he made a mistake, one that you should not make if you don't want to end up like him.

>He jumped out of that plane exactly as all of you would have with his
>jump numbers on that flight!

No, I would have exited quite differently, even at his jump numbers. The one good thing that may come from this is that other people at his experience level may think to themselves "gee, I don't want that to happen to me - maybe I won't do that sort of an exit." And if that saves people's lives/backs - great.

>I saw it, and do not call me a liar!

I have no doubt you saw it. But I've also seen people exit low-tail aircraft in a much safer manner, and I've seen people refuse to exit when the aircraft was not configured for exit. Those are better decisions.

> I've seen people refuse to exit when the aircraft was not configured for exit. Those are better decisions.

I am still a newbie and am curious, how is an aircraft prepped/modified/configured for exit (/safer exit) ...
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

When the airplane is climbing under full power, the airplane is flying at high speed, and angled uphill. This makes it much easier to hit the tail. Configuring for exit means the pilot levels the plane, reduces power, and may or may not put the flaps down. The plane will be flying slower, and level, making it much easier to exit without worrying about hitting the tail. Not to mention the reduced speed makes floating outside the airplane much easier.

To JimmyH: My point was that you didn't hit the tail while doing AFF. Students are already overloaded with info, and having them worry about things that won't happen is a bad thing. Bill did you a favor by telling you not to be concerned. Later, when you started doing H&Ps out of the 99, I am sure you were told about the issue of hitting the tail.

When the airplane is climbing under full power, the airplane is flying at high speed, and angled uphill. This makes it much easier to hit the tail. Configuring for exit means the pilot levels the plane, reduces power, and may or may not put the flaps down. The plane will be flying slower, and level, making it much easier to exit without worrying about hitting the tail. Not to mention the reduced speed makes floating outside the airplane much easier.

I over complicated the statement, I was assuming that there were mechanical and physical changes made to the aircraft ... LOL
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

Well it appears that norcaljumper is making a reference to my sister's suicide in 2004, she did in fact drive her truck off of a cliff.

I honestly don't know what to say, except that strikes me as a little bit heartless, but hey whatever you gotta do to make your point.

And LongWayToFall...you just summed up my argument perfectly. Thanks for clarifying how much safer it is for jumpers to exit when the pilot configures for jumping...nothing more for me to say apparently.

Hey norcaljumper...you got a name?

To JimmyH: My point was that you didn't hit the tail while doing AFF. Students are already overloaded with info, and having them worry about things that won't happen is a bad thing. Bill did you a favor by telling you not to be concerned. Later, when you started doing H&Ps out of the 99, I am sure you were told about the issue of hitting the tail.

I have taught more then a few students to skydive, and I think it's far enough to add in information regarding the tail of the plane and where it's placement is.
During the poised exit briefing, explaining why we dont remain hanging on the outside of the plane for longer then we need to, or why we do not jump up, is an easy instruction and should be taught. I have seen very little "overload" from any students over the years.
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com