Cinders

Skydiving is drugs!

I suggest that we need to use some other way to describe the joys of skydiving, rather than comparing them to drugs.

I suggest that you recognize that skydiving represents freedom. Skydiving also represents personal responsibility.

Archaic and anti-freedom drug laws from all over the world are stripping us of our right to alter our minds in what ever way we choose...be it drugs or jumping out of an airplane.

No nation, no state, no city and no other individual has the right to tell me what I can do with my own mind.

Drugs and skydiving are personal choice issues. I personally choose jumping out of airplanes and doing drugs, illicit or not.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

I love this thread. i hate the winter. i love skydiving. i hate the winter. i love standing in the door. i hate the winter. i love the smell of the jet. i hate the winter. i even love the 50 minute drive out to the DZ. but i still will always hate the winter >:(

Me too! I already hated winter...skydiving gives me one more reason to hate it even more. Gonna move somewhere that's warm all year B|

Me too! I already hated winter...skydiving gives me one more reason to hate it even more. Gonna move somewhere that's warm all year B|

I used to love the rain and cloudy days and have been wanting to live in the East Coast for that reason...until after my first tandem jump. Now I can't stop looking up at the sky when it's nice outside. :)

I suggest that we need to use some other way to describe the joys of skydiving, rather than comparing them to drugs.

I suggest that you recognize that skydiving represents freedom. Skydiving also represents personal responsibility.

Archaic and anti-freedom drug laws from all over the world are stripping us of our right to alter our minds in what ever way we choose...be it drugs or jumping out of an airplane.

No nation, no state, no city and no other individual has the right to tell me what I can do with my own mind.

Drugs and skydiving are personal choice issues. I personally choose jumping out of airplanes and doing illicit drugs.

Please and thank you. +1

I'm still having trouble with stability in FF with the attache case - still giving lessons?
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Several years ago I did a Tandem at the Ranch NY. Perfect warm fall day, Pretty much at peak leaf time. Almost sunset, we opened out towards the ridge, just perfect. My lady student said it's so quiet. I said you think it's quiet now, wait. I went into brakes so we just hung there, real quiet. She said this is so beautiful I have to sing. I'm thinking Oh God here we go. But I said sure go ahead. Well when I was a kid one of the first movies I saw was 'The Sound Of Music' loved it. well it turned out she was a professional opera singer. She sang the opening song. "The Hills Are Alive with the Sound of Music' Wow beautifulB| I actually teared up. I should have been paying her.
just had to share

Adrenaline IS the most addictive drug

Had that put on a t-shirt right after the jet jump in Quincy in 1993.

Chemical highs just don't do it for me.........
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

I agree with that statement. But most of the people in our society do not agree that using illegal or prescription drugs for recreational highs is a good idea. And I think we should endeavor to present the sport to the public as one of a pure natural "high", rather than one that can be compared to negative drug usage. And that's where the "responsibility" part of your message, above, comes in.

But what the heck, if we want to portray skydiving as being no-rules-barred irresponsible fun, then I have a few new bumper sticker ideas, which USPA can stuff into every membership renewal envelope:
"Skydiving: as good as crack cocaine!"

"Skydiving: as much fun as cheating on your wife!"

"Skydiving: as exciting as driving 75 through a school zone!"
Whatcha think?

"Skydiving: as good as crack cocaine!"

Your logic is one sided. How can you be for legal skydiving and not legal drugs?

Hows can you support such dangerous and expensive recreational activities?

Let's be honest here...skydiving is as fun as crack, actually more fun. But skydiving is also much more dangerous and expensive than crack!!

You would be better off doing Percodan on your couch! Or Crack!

I bet the USPA would see a boost in numbers if you rolled out some Partnership for a Skydiving Free America (PSFA) commercials....

"more expensive and more dangerous than crack, don't do it!"

It works great in the US for increasing illegal drug use, why not skydiving? It would be great marketing!!

WOW! Talk about not sticking to the original topic. This thread is now 100% completely different to what the OP intended it to be. [:/]>:(

Advice to the OP: Maybe post a new thread with a different thread title so that those of us who would like to partipate in that thread instead of this mess of a thread can do so.

Hell, John, I even have a new Garand sitting in the safe I haven't fired yet. How sad is that?

caldwell lead sled baby! no impact to your shoulder at all.;)
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I'm glad you enjoy the sport. After 30 years of doing it, I'm still always looking forward to the next weekend of jumping.

However, I don't like the analogy to illegal drugs. That gives a bad impression of the sport, and I think it should be avoided.

What about the legal use of a non-drug substance?

http://www.dontsnortit.com/

Gawd, some people will do anything they are told not to.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

She sang the opening song. "The Hills Are Alive with the Sound of Music' Wow beautifulB| I actually teared up. I should have been paying her.
just had to share

For those who are not tandem masters, there are moments like this when you are front row to catch a person's reaction to the freefall skydive they just made that are amazing. This is one reason I work so hard for my passengers' enjoyment of the jump. It's to receive moments like this ( and tips, too, I ain't that much of a softie.:P)

Its time we start thinking about the reputation of the sport. Personally I think this whole thing of picking up trash and helping old ladies is a bunch of crap. So is the wingsuitcompetitions and so is the whole smiling to the camera that a lot of people do these days. We need to be portrayed like total badasses. If your friend die, we must be on page ONE in the newspaper. They might ask, WHAT happened? At this point in time you must stay focused and make a bunch of good jokes, ---I think he must have lost his head----.....or ----My god this happened last year to a guy here, we think its some kind of pandemic thats spreads through our parachutes.***

Courtesy of DZH

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.