Cinders

Skydiving is drugs!

Man, I love this sport. I'm high on percodan due to injury right now, but I just needed to post this.

I love the camraderie in the plane. I love getting in the door, the cold wind. I love jumping out and looking up at the plane against the infinite blue sky behind it. I love flying my canopy (sometimes make sound effects. Life needs sound effects).

I love leaving there and feeling mellow and relaxed for the next week at least. My wife makes me go if it's been a while and I'm getting edgy.

There are some jackasses around, but screw em! Don't ruin my fun.

I look at my rig, it's my first. It's used. But I love it. It's like my motorcycle, I feel like I should hug it from time to time. Took my YEARS to save up my money to buy it.

I love percodan also, lol :)

I totally get ya on this one!

After 24 years of chasing that mistress, I still just flat out enjoy jumping.

Getting in the plane, poking at each other, feeling the breeze in your face when the door is open, sun filling the cabin giving wild shadows to everyone, the smell of jet-a and nylon, knowing your in over your head on the dirt-dive and pulling it out of your ass, looking up into a blue sky knowing that is your place.

Whuffos just don't see it- it's not the adrenalin, its just the inner joy that comes from finding what makes your life worthwhile. Being able to face anything at work on Monday because you dealt with a nasty spinning malfunction and walked away to say, "No shit, there I was...." Having those friends that you don't have to explain why.

Hooked for life!

Jump more, post less!

I couldn't agree more! It's the only thing that I can wake up at 630 am for... And not just wake up, I jump out of bed on the days I'm headed to the DZ. The smell of the air, the exit, the idea of it all, etc... It is truly the greatest thing in the world.
AKA MG Hammer Flying Hellfish #834 Son's Of Bacon #1

I'm glad you enjoy the sport. After 30 years of doing it, I'm still always looking forward to the next weekend of jumping.

However, I don't like the analogy to illegal drugs. That gives a bad impression of the sport, and I think it should be avoided.

I'm glad you enjoy the sport. After 30 years of doing it, I'm still always looking forward to the next weekend of jumping.

However, I don't like the analogy to illegal drugs. That gives a bad impression of the sport, and I think it should be avoided.

What analogy to illegal drugs?

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Where'd you see any reference to illegal drugs?
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Getting in the plane, poking at each other, feeling the breeze in your face when the door is open, sun filling the cabin giving wild shadows to everyone, the smell of jet-a and nylon, knowing your in over your head on the dirt-dive and pulling it out of your ass, looking up into a blue sky knowing that is your place.

Whuffos just don't see it- it's not the adrenalin, its just the inner joy that comes from finding what makes your life worthwhile. Being able to face anything at work on Monday because you dealt with a nasty spinning malfunction and walked away to say, "No shit, there I was...." Having those friends that you don't have to explain why.

+1

I really liked your description. And it's good to know that at some point the exit becomes less nerve-racking; I think I get scared that the wind will blow me away if I don't hang onto the door tightly enough.

Skydiving has become a philosophy for me: becoming aware of the inherent risks to this sport, but still trusting your fellow divers, trusting the guy who packed your rig, trusting your instructor, jumpmasters, most importantly trusting yourself to pull. Once you let go of all those inhibitions skydiving is what I think of as an activity where you become very self-reliant, liberated, and empowered.

And I have to add I feel so privileged to be a part of this community. It is one of the few things I look forward to every weekend.

Skydiving has become a philosophy for me: becoming aware of the inherent risks to this sport, but still trusting your fellow divers, trusting the guy who packed your rig, trusting your instructor, jumpmasters, most importantly trusting yourself to pull.

I don't trust anyone, they're all trying to kill me. :P
"Damn you Gravity, you win again"

Haha well Harmless I certainly think you can afford to be completely self-reliant when you have a C license, 300+ jumps, know how to pack your own canopy, know how to check your own gear. :)

Haha well Harmless I certainly think you can afford to be completely self-reliant when you have a C license, 300+ jumps, know how to pack your own canopy, know how to check your own gear. :)

No, really, they're trying to kill you :P

lol, original post, don't remember doing that! Thx for the reply everyone, I guess the "warm and fuzzy" from the meds made me that give-everyone-a-hug guy.

So, dear readers, which would you rather do:

1) Spend the day at the drop zone, jumping out of airplanes, or;
2) Spend the day at home on the couch, high on percodan.

If your answer is #1, then skydiving is not as good as drugs.

Not really the point is it? You said the OP was making an analogy between skydiving and illegal drugs. As usual you tried to be pedantic and shot yourself in the foot. Fail.

Not really the point is it? You said the OP was making an analogy between skydiving and illegal drugs. As usual you tried to be pedantic and shot yourself in the foot. Fail.

haha!

+1 ;)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Until my shoulder heals, I ain't got a choice. I'll take #2 for 10 mg, Alex.:P

Hell, John, I even have a new Garand sitting in the safe I haven't fired yet. How sad is that?[:/]

:D

Looks like someone might be a little bit high...
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Do you feel like you're flying when you're high on percodan?

Oops. Yeah, that should have read "...then drugs are not as good as skydiving."

And this seems to be an admission that drugs screw up your brain, and therefore supports my position that it's not good public relations to describe skydiving to the general public as being "like drugs".

The drugs we're talking about are of two types. Illegal drugs are considered a bad idea by a large majority of the public, and therefore we don't want to equate skydiving to that. Prescription drugs are highly controlled and can only be taken with a doctor's permission, and are therefore something that is only done as an absolute medical necessity, and not just for recreation - making them also a bad analogy for skydiving.

I suggest that we need to use some other way to describe the joys of skydiving, rather than comparing them to drugs.

More people overdose and die from prescription drugs than any other form of "illegal" drug. Its the fastest growing form of drug abuse.

You can spin anything good or bad, the guy made a tongue in cheek post and you blow it out the water with your usual rhetoric.

Who gives a fuck what people think of skydivers, if they thought we were all a bunch of line dancing, good family cooking, in bed by 9pm saying our prayers before giving all out money to charity do gooders....they wouldn't come skydiving would they?

Same as when there is a fatality business goes up.

People like to have fun, they go skydiving to have fun as its widely known as an "extreme sport."

More people overdose and die from prescription drugs than any other form of "illegal" drug. Its the fastest growing form of drug abuse.

You can spin anything good or bad, the guy made a tongue in cheek post and you blow it out the water with your usual rhetoric.

Who gives a fuck what people think of skydivers, if they thought we were all a bunch of line dancing, good family cooking, in bed by 9pm saying our prayers before giving all out money to charity do gooders....they wouldn't come skydiving would they?

Same as when there is a fatality business goes up.

People like to have fun, they go skydiving to have fun as its widely known as an "extreme sport."

+1

Althought there are legitimate skydivers, there are quite a few that are attracted because of an addictive personality. Which is the same category as drug abusers. I think we've all figured out that there are a significant amount of skydivers that use recreational drugs.

My DRUG of choice: SKYDIVING!!! Oh, wait its actually not a drug, I must be high.:S
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

Oops. Yeah, that should have read "then drugs are not as good as skydiving."

And this seems to be an admission that drugs screw up your brain, and therefore supports my position that it's not good public relations to describe skydiving to the general public as being "like drugs".

The drugs we're talking about are of two types. Illegal drugs are considered a bad idea by a large majority of the public, and therefore we don't want to equate skydiving to that. Prescription drugs are highly controlled and can only be taken with a doctor's permission, and are therefore something that is only done as an absolute medical necessity, and not just for recreation - making them also a bad analogy for skydiving.

I suggest that we need to use some other way to describe the joys of skydiving, rather than comparing them to drugs.

Common American phrases:
I'm addicted to x.
I'm a/an x junkie.
x= activity of your choice
Have you seen my crackberry?

So, what the fuss?

Oops. Yeah, that should have read "then drugs are not as good as skydiving."

jumping out of airplanes in flight is perceived by the VAST majority of the public to be a bad idea; and that skydivers are in fact, screwed in the brain. i think we should BAN it!!!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda