skydivercowboy

can someone in the navy on leave go skydiving?

Depends on what he does in the navy, but I always had to ask permission, and I knew guys who got in a good bit of trouble for not submitting the proper paperwork. But if it's just a tandem, and doesnt brag about or decide to take up the sport, he'll most likely be fine. And if he doesnt get hurt/killed (Shit can happen, which is why there are waivers galore)

Well from the perspective of a school trained USMC safety officer the answer is yes. There are no rules or regulations that prohibit skydiving by armed forces personnel. Some commands may have a diierent view but the bottom line is that the DOD allows it. But keep in mind that there are requirements above what USPA requires. Things like hard shell helmets and closed toe shoes are on the menu.

D
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

asking permission is the forst step for getting denyed lol. but seriously someone covored it already, unless his command stats that he HAS ro have permission then he should be ok. I had a Team leader that competed in a local rodeo until he fractured his leg 3 times, then our command said NO.

From what I know about my own research and skydivers in ROTC at my school, there is an agreement you sign regarding high-risk activities that basically says you accept all repercussions, and may lose some of your insurance benefits if you get hurt.
Dropzones are terrible places for inspiration. What does one think when one looks up for a sign only to see a bunch of people falling?

ROTC and active duty have different rules (I was a ROTC instructor also). The university/command can impose many more restrictions on students that simply dont apply to active duty folks.
And for the record - no one on active duty can sign away any 'rights' at any time. As long as you are following the rules you are covered no matter what happens.
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

ROTC and active duty have different rules (I was a ROTC instructor also). The university/command can impose many more restrictions on students that simply dont apply to active duty folks.
And for the record - no one on active duty can sign away any 'rights' at any time. As long as you are following the rules you are covered no matter what happens.

These people were telling me that it was something that goes on even after you commission. I'm glad to hear I am wrong, as I'm working on joining in the near future.
Dropzones are terrible places for inspiration. What does one think when one looks up for a sign only to see a bunch of people falling?

As a SAR swimmer, I've had to get around a few more loops than usual. Aviation medicine, and the entire community don't like high-end trained people like me to participate in high-risk recreational activities. On the bottom line, if he's in a regular, non-specialized rate, then I don't see him facing any trouble, even if he gets hurt, unless the proper safety precautions weren't followed, such as an AAD, hard helmet, shoes, etc. One of the first things I did at my command was tell them I'm a licensed skydiver. I provided copies of my A-license progression card, my A and B license cards, photocopies of logbook entries documenting night jump training and water training, and copies of my reserve packing card and canopy information. With that, I also submitted a completed copy of the skydiving section found in CNATRAINST 3058.1, which is basically a risk-assessment question sheet.

So far, no issues. I'm one of the first guys at my command to be an outspoken skydiver, and I jump as safely as I can so I can establish a good reputation for future skydivers.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

sar swimmers are so gay

lol jk ben

>:(

Bet ya wouldn't say that at night, bobbing like a cork in the north atlantic, in February. B|

B|
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

ok... so my best friend is in the navy and he is on leave at home right now... and december 5th i am going skydiving and he wants to come, but he doesnt know if the navy will allow him to skydive... does anyone know if he can???

The answer is yes he can. Provided the jump is made within the rules/regs of the FAA/USPA, he is good to go. OTOH - strap on a WW II rig and throw yourself's out of a freinds Cessna with no training and there's a problem if he gets hurt = Not in the line of duty = he pays for it ($).
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

sar swimmers are so gay

lol jk ben

>:(

Bet ya wouldn't say that at night, bobbing like a cork in the north atlantic, in February. B|

B|

Yeah JP, watch me come rescue you now, lol!
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

I did my first 1000 (all sport jumps) while active duty. The military has way more problems with injuries for sports they support than skydiving. (MNC/USN/RET)

So true...

We lose (limited duty status) more people to softball than every other sport combined. When I was an umpire years ago, we had to institute a no-slide rule per the base C.O. in order to reduce the number of injuries. People still found a way to break themselves.

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

I did my first 1000 (all sport jumps) while active duty. The military has way more problems with injuries for sports they support than skydiving. (MNC/USN/RET)

When I ran a sport jumping program for the British Army they told me that under no circumstances were the sqaddies allowed to play rugby while in camp. "They are allowed to toss the ball, but not to scrimmage."

We had a club on base in the Corps too back in '75. But I'd still have your friend check first. The Commander Officer of any military unit is totally responsible for everyone under his command, and they can, and sometimes do ban certain off duty activities like skydiving. Just like they can put certain troublesome bars or rip-off jewelery businesses off limits.

With skydiving this usually follows a bad accident or a death, and is usually short lived, but if you get stuck with a CO who washed out of jump school earlier in their career there might have an issue. I've heard of COs like that and they had bad attitudes towards jumping.

Now if we could just get the entire military to put Skyride off limits . . . :P

NickD :)