ts1962

Bill Dause is under the chopping block!!

I bet Bill (I don't know the man) wishes he had leveled the plane for that exit.

Unfortunately I don't think Bill gives a fuck, which is why more than a few people won't ride on the A/C when he's flying.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Bill NEVER cuts when he is flying and everyone who jumps at Lodi knows that....even the people who don't jump there know that Bill doesn't cut for hop n pops. How do you think he can charge next to nothing?? No, I don't think Bill would have done it any differently, except maybe not let this IDIOT jump.

PHIL----I agree 110%! Glad someone said it, miss you lots!!!!

> What, so Bill has to consider for each person "hey, this guy looks like he]
> might sue me if he gets hurt, I better be careful."

Basically. He _should_ consider that for each person, "hey, this person could get hurt, I better be careful." I do that for every single student I've ever had. Most other instructors, coaches and pilots do. Indeed, the ones that do that the most consistently are the ones we consider good pilots and instructors.

>Bill does things the way he does, and it won't change. If people tell you
>that you should watch your exit, then WATCH YOUR DAMN EXIT. fuck

As long as people all know that - and are experienced enough to judge the relative risk of jumping with such a person - then no problem. People might well consider jumping with a less safe pilot to save a few dollars.

Basically. He _should_ consider that for each person, "hey, this person could get hurt, I better be careful." ...

He could consider that for each person, but I suspect Bill may instead think "hey, this person could get other people hurt, everyone better be careful" or "hey, this person could get other people hurt, so they can jump elsewhere", etc.

Bob

Is there a rule or regulation that "REQUIRES" you to reduce speed, drop flaps and trim the tail prior to turning on the green light for exit?

Any time something goes wrong, the FAA can, and often does, hold up this one:
Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 91—GENERAL OPERATING AND FLIGHT RULES
Subpart A—General

§ 91.13 Careless or reckless operation.

(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

On the other hand, it seems to me that a pilot would be absolved of responsibility by saying "the passenger was warned of the hazards of this type of exit and did it anyway."

The hazards of exiting a Beech in a climb, as well as the ways to minimize the risk, are commonly known. By the time jumper has an "A" license, the jumper is responsible for asking if there are any specific exit procedures when jumping an unfamiliar aircraft.

Skydiving is inherently dangerous. If you chose to go against someone's safety advice, it becomes your responsibility, not the pilot's. Same if you are faced with an unfamiliar situation and don't ask for advice.
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

Same if you are faced with an unfamiliar situation and don't ask for advice.

Though I wasn't there that day, I was told he had done a H&P prior to that, if not that same day, and was told repeatedly about how to exit correctly. Maybe the OP can clarify?
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Same if you are faced with an unfamiliar situation and don't ask for advice.

Though I wasn't there that day, I was told he had done a H&P prior to that, if not that same day, and was told repeatedly about how to exit correctly. Maybe the OP can clarify?

That's what I was wondering too.. We don't cut on the King Air in Byron either for hop and pops, which is the reason people can NOT do their first hop and pop out of it.
We tell people, just roll out and then get stable. the other thing we do is we don't open the door all the way so you already have to get small and stay low to get out.

When was it ever about not "letting" someone do something? informed decision, my man. Should people be allowed to jump without an rsl, and aads? Yes. Will this allow some fucker to commit suicide on a jump if he wanted? Yes. I guess its our fault for not mandating safety precautions, FUCK US!!! The road your are driving down ends with the banning of our sport. Think about it

I may be a new jumper but not cutting on jump run and leaving the tail low is the most stupid and reckless thing i have ever heard. This pilot is a idiot and i dont care how cheap the tickets were, the guy is a fool. It was only a matter of time before someone hurt themselves. We really need to protect new jumpers who during their early jumps will have alot going on in their mind about the jump. They will be scared and thats just one extra thing they shouldnt really have to worry about. This would never happen in Australia. Does anyone have any updates on this court case?

a lot of people go out of their way to go there for HnPs. It's cheap (5 and 8$) and available on essentially every load, which is not true elsewhere. We're not seeing a large incident count to warrant the 'stupid and reckless' assessment.

If a jumper can't adapt to conditions, particularly when directly warned that what he was doing is dangerous, there's always bowling and golf. Not every exit has to be poised and high.

This would never happen in Australia.

bull shit, it may not happen because most dropzones could't care less about customers that are not tandems.

I left a dropzone in australia because i had the audacity to point out thier unsafe behaviour that is potentially fatal to many tandem students let alone in experiences fun jumpers.

you can guess how they took that. lodi is a lot safer than most of the DZ's in Australia with the she'll be right atitude and shithouse old school training systems and gear.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Either you love him or dislike him, we all need to support Bill Dause of the Parachute Center, Lodi. Our whole sport depends on it.

---

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100127/A_NEWS/1270321/-1/a_news09

---

Skydiving injury lawsuit goes to jury

By The Record

January 27, 2010 12:00 AMSTOCKTON - A San Joaquin County jury Tuesday began deliberating whether the owner of an Acampo-based skydiving center should pay upward of $8 million for the spinal cord injuries suffered by a Southern California man after a 2006 jumping mishap.

Attorneys made closing arguments Tuesday in a Stockton courtroom after seven days of testimony in which each side accused the other of reckless negligence.

Michael Goldstein, the lawyer for plaintiff Christian Barton, 33, argued that Bill Dause, owner of the Parachute Center off Highway 99 and the pilot during the incident, did not sufficiently warn Barton about the risk of hitting the plane's tail. Goldstein also said Dause was flying the plane in a manner inconsistent with industry standards.

Kurt Siebert, Dause's attorney, rebutted each of the plaintiff's accusations and said Barton used a reckless jumping technique.

On Aug. 22, 2006, Barton leapt from a twin-engine Beechcraft at 3,000 feet and struck the plane's tail.

He was paralyzed at first but later regained limited ability to walk.

The verdict.

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100127/A_NEWS/1270321/-1/a_news09

--

Jury finds parachute center owner wasn’t reckless in skydiver’s paralyzing fall

By The Record
January 27, 2010 3:54 PM

STOCKTON - A San Joaquin County jury today concluded that the owner of an Acampo-based drop zone was not liable for a skydiver’s debilitating spinal cord injuries suffered during a jump more than three years ago.

In a 10-2 verdict, jurors said Parachute Center owner and pilot Bill Dause did not act so recklessly during the 2006, low-altitude jump that his conduct was outside the range of normal skydiving activities.

Christian Barton, 33, sued Dause and the Parachute Center last year. Barton was injured after jumping from Dause’s twin-engine Beechcraft at 3,000 feet and striking the plane’s tail.

Barton was paralyzed at first but later regained limited ability to walk.

Read Thursday’s Record for more on this story by staff writer Daniel Thigpen