livenletfly

would you NOT visit a dz because they have restricted turns to 90 degree's or less

bro thats way fucked up to say he got what he had coming. if you hnestly feel dying a horrible violent death is just deserves because he flipped someone attitude, i feel very sorry for you.
not cool.
not cool at all.

Harsh for sure but I doubt he meant it as a moral judgement. I think it was more of a statement of what is likely to happen to someone in this sport who thinks he knows it all and is therefore invincible.

It's still harsh, but it's reality.

Walt

Harsh for sure but I doubt he meant it as a moral judgement. I think it was more of a statement of what is likely to happen to someone in this sport who thinks he knows it all and is therefore invincible.

It's still harsh, but it's reality.

Walt

Well said, both you & riggerrob.

From my FJC onward I've been extremely lucky enough to find myself surrounded with people who take the attitude that "We are always perpetual students in skydiving...if you start thinking you know it all, you might want to reconsider getting on the plane until you get an attitude adjustment, because your arrogance will probably make you blind to something that could very well kill you." These are people with jumps numbers ranging from 1,000 to 10,000+, who swoop, freefly, wingsuit and make SLP's safely, so I've always trusted their opinions (then again, what do I know? I'm still new).

I consider myself lucky (and surprised) that, in all my travels, I have yet to meet up with such blatant SkyGod mentality in-person. But I know it's out there, and I know it's not exactly indicative of the type of person I want to jump with. I tend to agree that you're setting yourself up for a serious blind spot when you start thinking you know it all.

And what is a blind spot? It's a place you can't see. It's not that you don't want to see it...it's just that the structure and vector of the vehicle in which you're traveling doesn't allow you to see it...
Signatures are the new black.

I know these polls aren't the most spot on but so far it seems that the idea might have been to see how it would impact a dz who dosesn't allow any thing more than 90's

62% of the people are saying they WOULD go to the dz.

So I guess we now now that most dz won't blow away IF the swoopers leave.

Hows SDA doing? Seems tha by now all the HP that would pack there shit and leave would be gone by now, anyone want to comment about how you can't get good training at SDA because all the "good" pilots left?

Swooping has a place at dz's, it's just not in the same landing area as standard approach pilots. Period.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

i agree, after reading bryan burkes post it really opened my eyes. i love swooping but i agree 270's dont belong in regular traffic. after all its my life that will end as well if i had a canopy collision.
the part that interested me the most was when bryan stated, "guy's your just not that special".
i feel as swoopers we tend to give ourselves more importance to the sport than we really are.

the fact is folks we are the minoroty in the sport so we shouldnt act like big shots. i think swooping and non swoopers can land safley together if everyone follows guidlines. sepperate landing areas is safer for everyone.

lets all try to play nicley and get along, ok.
>

do a long carving 180 swoop than a tight 180, you'd have had time to recognize the danger and bail out.

And in my limited experience, it seems that I can build up more speed in addition to having a better view to where I am headed.

Absolutely

I placed 10th of 19 at my first pond swoop meet by doing nothign but long carving 180s

cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

bro thats way fucked up to say he got what he had coming. if you hnestly feel dying a horrible violent death is just deserves because he flipped someone attitude, i feel very sorry for you.
not cool.
not cool at all.

What is not cool, is someone that thinks they are too good to fuck up and therefore are invincible, you can bet you bottom dollar that someone who doesn't give a fuck about what someone else has to say and is as rude and inconsiderate as the deceased, is more likely to be the type to hook a 270+ aggressively into traffic etc.

Consideration for others, means consideration for others.

We were all told to leave our ego at the door on our first jump course, later I failed to do so and it bit me in the ass. this was in the 200-500 jump region.

Fortunately for me I had the common sense to learn from that mistake and you will find I am a considerate person and skydiver alike.

It is inconsiderate people killing others not swoopers.

You will find this is not only the case in skydiving.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

That is rather unfortunate that you received that sort of response from my competitive swooping peers. Not being there, not knowing who said what, I would like to refrain from passing too much judgement on them or yourself. What I am about to say doesn't excuse their potential rude behavior but it's more a case of helping you educate yourself a little more about our mindsets during a competition, the canopies we fly, how we fly them and how our progressions got us to this point.......

Sure is a lot of typing trying to justify the unjustifiable.
[:/]

No excuse or justification for being an asshole. Ian has it right. That's one of the reasons he's so well-respected.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

1. Swoopers are smarter than non-swoopers.

2. Swoopers are always right.

3. If you disagree with a swooper, you are wrong.

4. If you agree with a swooper, you are still wrong because you are not a swooper.

5. Swoopers are the elite of the skydiving world.

6. Swoopers are the downtrodden of the skydiving world.

7. If you are not a swooper, you are hell-bent on banning their fun.

8. If you are not a swooper, you cannot possibly understand...*anything*. Why? Because you're not a swooper.

9. If a swooper kills an innocent jumper via canopy collision, it is at worst an "error in judgement". Most likely the slow canopy did something stupid to get in the swooper's way.

10. You're not worthy of being in the presence of a swooper; neither is God.

11. God wishes he were a swooper, but he's just not that good.

12. God doesn't go anywhere near churches on Sunday. He goes to the DZ to worship the swoopers.

13:|

***14. Only swoopers are cool enough to get away with wearing capri pants to the DZ.

John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

I think the ONLY answer is, separate landing areas for standard landing patterns and HP. Where i work and jump i am constantly frustrated by slow, large (but totally correct) canopies, all trying to land on a 20 square metre landing area ,especially after rain. but i am still occasionally scared (and nearly killed) by people doing 450,s etc from a higher altitude with no regard for lower canopies.