ridestrong

Neck breaking camera set-up...

Came across this post currently on eBay. The bidding is up to $26. Looks to me that these people are bidding for who gets a broken neck. Auction description is as follows (see pic attached):

You are bidding on a Pro Tec skydiving helmet. Helmet has 1000s of jumps on it. Helmet was giving to me. I had this camera put it all together & never jumped it. I bought new inserts (pads) added this camera that was used vey little & it just sit there because at the same time I bought a bone head that is also listed.

Auction includes Helmet, New pads, Old Pads, Sony TRV 308 Handycam, Box to camera, power & TV cords, wide lens VCL-0637H
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Didn't break my neck, although the camera was flying me sometimes.

That is pretty impressive.

Guess I'm just used to seeing side shelled mini cams and GoPros.

Didn't break my neck, although the camera was flying me sometimes.

That's similar in size to the one I was asked to put on for a tandem video jump. My little mom and pop DZ was short-staffed and the only guy around that was an experienced videographer was doing the tandem. The passenger was a 70 year old Korean War vet (at the time).

I had zero video jumps but close to 1000 jumps overall then. They asked me if I could do it. Boy was I scared to death, but I said okay. Honest to God, I just hoped I would get a sweet opening. The camera owner said to just grab the camera platform with my left hand as I dumped the pc, and then quickly grab the platform with the right hand and brace myself.

One of the most beautiful openings I have ever had... Thank fucking God! B| It was just that one time for that size camera.

When I did finally get into camera jumps I started with a Sony PC1 in a side mount. I have a PC101 now I think but never use it anymore for skydiving.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That sort of setup was very common at one time, and overall, it's pretty lightweight. Very lightweight compared to others of its time.

This is my primary helmet setup, it's heavy but well balanced.

It's good you're looking at snag issues; it's difficult to have a great helmet setup that has no snag issues.

Hopefully you're just looking at buying the helmet for now?

With the GoPro and Contours becoming so popular and small, I'm wondering if we'll see an increase in camera-related incidents this year.
Already aware of one in SoCal this year with an experience level of 80 jumps hosing herself and someone else on her second jump with a GoPro.

Guess I'm just used to seeing side shelled mini cams and GoPros.

You have only been in the sport 1yr! Neck breaker?
That's funny shit....:D:S

After seeing some of these camera set-ups I'm inclined to agree with you.

Cool seeing photos of what some are jumping with or used to jump with.

You have only been in the sport 1yr! Neck breaker?
That's funny shit....:D:S

Hey, come on, it's not like he's some A license noob...

He's a B license noob. All the difference in the world. ;)

Came across this post currently on eBay. The bidding is up to $26. Looks to me that these people are bidding for who gets a broken neck. Auction description is as follows (see pic attached):

You are bidding on a Pro Tec skydiving helmet. Helmet has 1000s of jumps on it. Helmet was giving to me. I had this camera put it all together & never jumped it. I bought new inserts (pads) added this camera that was used vey little & it just sit there because at the same time I bought a bone head that is also listed.

Auction includes Helmet, New pads, Old Pads, Sony TRV 308 Handycam, Box to camera, power & TV cords, wide lens VCL-0637H

It's all relative. That set-up is about half the size and weight of what I started on. 3 herniated discs later, I'm glad to have the stuff we shoot these days.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

it just sit there because at the same time I bought a bone head that is also listed

it doesn't make much sense. if he is not jumping this setup because he got another helmet, why is the other helmet listed for sale as well?

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

Damn!! I was just outbid again. ;)

Well, if you really want one, there's one just like it sitting in a cabinet at my DZ. Same ProTec, same mount, same (I think) camera.
It belonged to a guy who left it there, who has since died. We found it a couple years after he died while cleaning. We pull it out every so often as a joke for students who want to jump a camera.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo