quade

Google Earth Drop Zone Project -- Ideas and Discussion

Correction needed for a Canadian dropzone on the listing page.

Skydive Burnaby is not in British Columbia, but rather it is in Ontario. Yes it seems strange to me too, but they didn't ask me when they named the dropzone. If they had I would have told them to either move it to British Columbia or call it something else.

To get to Skydive Burnaby from British Columbia you have to go to the other side of the mountains, across the prairies, past forests of northern Ontario and you'll find it snuggled in by Lake Erie - not that far from Buffalo in the States. Click on the link and Google will show you where it is!
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

The site has been updated. There are 87 dropzones listed. I have added most of the dropzones from divinglog's list, except for the ones in the "Pink" folder.

brettski74 and IanHarrop: I got Skydive Burnaby moved to its proper place. At least I got the right country this time; the last time I misplaced a Canadian DZ, I put it in Florida. :)

ypelchat: Apparently there are two DZs at Lake Wales - Florida Skydiving Center and Freefall Adventures. Is your mark for one or the other, or is it just for Lake Wales in general?

divinglog: There is a folder "pink" in your list - these are all DZs that Skydive Pink/Pink Skyvan jumps at, correct?

Many of the dropzones listed have details like the landing area, outs, hazards, etc, and some just have a mark where the DZ is. If you see a DZ that just has one mark, and you know some details of that dropzone, please don't hesitate to make and post a more detailed file. I will combine all the files for a particular DZ to show as many features as possible.

Thanks!

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

The site has been updated. There are 87 dropzones listed. I have added most of the dropzones from divinglog's list, except for the ones in the "Pink" folder.

brettski74 and IanHarrop: I got Skydive Burnaby moved to its proper place. At least I got the right country this time; the last time I misplaced a Canadian DZ, I put it in Florida. :)

ypelchat: Apparently there are two DZs at Lake Wales - Florida Skydiving Center and Freefall Adventures. Is your mark for one or the other, or is it just for Lake Wales in general?

divinglog: There is a folder "pink" in your list - these are all DZs that Skydive Pink/Pink Skyvan jumps at, correct?

Many of the dropzones listed have details like the landing area, outs, hazards, etc, and some just have a mark where the DZ is. If you see a DZ that just has one mark, and you know some details of that dropzone, please don't hesitate to make and post a more detailed file. I will combine all the files for a particular DZ to show as many features as possible.

Thanks!

Eule

You're right.. [:/]

It's the Florida Skydiving Center at Lake Wales.

My bad.

Yves.

The site has been updated. There are 92 dropzones listed. I had Sylt listed under the Netherlands, which was wrong, so I moved it to Denmark. (The location on the map was correct, I just had it listed under the wrong country in the index.) I noted that the Lake Wales entry is for the Florida Skydiving Center. I also added the entries from evh, blu, and KindredSpirit.

I'm still working on the ones from the "Pink" folder in divinglog's list.

PesadillaK: I couldn't do anything with "cl-08-14-06-592800442.kmz". If this is something you've saved on your computer, you need to attach it to your post with the "Browse..." and "Upload attachment" buttons at the bottom of the post reply.

Thanks!

Eule

Skydive Burnaby is not in British Columbia, but rather it is in Ontario. Yes it seems strange to me too, but they didn't ask me when they named the dropzone. If they had I would have told them to either move it to British Columbia or call it something else.

I wondered about the name for a while, too, but then one day I took the scenic route along the lake shore, and there's one of those blue township signs you go past which says Burnaby, so I guess the name does make some sense. :)

Somebody do Skydive The Farm in Rockmart Georgia.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

Not that I could see it anyway. You guys are talkin' Greek with all this KMZ stuff...I only have a poor, old, cranky Win98 machine here and GoogleEarth's requirements are way higher than that.
[:/]

:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Very cool! Thanks a bunch for the work!

Edited to add something for Asia > Thailand > Pattaya Airpark ;)
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

The site has been updated. There are 94 dropzones listed. I added the new entries and updates from Orlando, brianfry713, and Chrisky (who provided the :D entry for Asia). I also split the list into two columns as it was getting a bit long - let me know if you like the old way better.

I'm still working on the ones from the "Pink" folder in divinglog's list. I'm kind of waiting to put all of those in at once, which is why they haven't shown up yet.

Thanks!

Eule

Brrrrr....it's cold out here in "not computer geek" country.
Great idea...only limited to those who are in-the-know, though. Any help on getting into that club for using this great information?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Brrrrr....it's cold out here in "not computer geek" country.
Great idea...only limited to those who are in-the-know, though. Any help on getting into that club for using this great information?

Well, open Google.You do know how to do that, right?
Above the search window in the middle of the screen, click on more>>. That gives you a menu that says even more>>. From that screen, find Earth (a globe, part way down in the first column.) Click on it and read all about how to get it for your computer; it's free. You probably want the latest and greatest beta version.
Install and play with it for a while. It's fun. Then download the .kmz files, open them so they show up in the listing on the left. Click on a place that interests you.. See what happens.
By the way, if your internet access is limited to telephone dial-up, forget it; you will waste lots of time and money playing with GE.

HW

The site has been updated. There are 122 dropzones listed. I finally added all the "Skydive Pink" entries from divinglog's list, and I also added aardvarkeater's entry for Skydive The Farm. I spent a little time roaming Europe and I think I got all of the Pink entries in the right countries, but let me know if I made a mistake.

I added a little shark repellent to the site as well. Nobody has said anything to me to make me think I need it; I just thought it might be a good idea.

It's probably pretty clear, but I want to reiterate that all I'm doing is compiling the entries that everyone has posted. I've personally written only two of the entries; the other 120 have been written by others. If you find an entry unsatisfactory, write a better one. :)

Thanks!

Eule

Not that I could see it anyway. You guys are talkin' Greek with all this KMZ stuff...I only have a poor, old, cranky Win98 machine here and GoogleEarth's requirements are way higher than that.
[:/]

:D:D

Popsjumper, if your computer wont run Google Earth you can try Google Maps. Click on the 'satellite' button. If you have a scroll wheel on your mouse you can zoom in/out with it.

"Kicking gravity's ass since 2003!"

Great idea! I was just wondering if there would be any list with kmz files of all dropzones... See attached some extra DZ's...
Here some placemarks of my home dropzone in The Netherlands and two dropzones around Christchuch in New Zealand, for whom I'm working at the moment...