quade

Google Earth Drop Zone Project -- Ideas and Discussion

(Sometimes when I load the .kmz file, I get double labels on all the placenames. Anybody know why?)

Probably because you have your dropzone in My places already and when you open the .kmz it loads the same placemarks in Temporary places as well...

All,

I grabbed all the placemarks posted in this thread so far and put them here

Eule,

Are you keeping the website up to date? I sent you an email, not sure if you got it.

Attached is most of the UK dropzones
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Here's Illinois Skydiving Center. It's our very new dropzone ... after the Paxton, IL city council banned skydiving >:( at the Paxton Airport, we had to move - a fortunate turn of events B| led to the procurement of our very own PRIVATE :D airstrip only 4.5 miles from Rantoul:P. Here's the Google Earth kmz.;)

Are you keeping the website up to date?

I updated it last weekend and I will update it with all the additions since then on Monday the 30th. The Windoze version of Google Earth still works a little better than the Linux version, so I tend to do the updates on my Windoze machine at work. This past week they were actually making me work, so I didn't get a chance to do updates. I always change the 'Last updated' date at the bottom of the web page when I update the site.

I sent you an email, not sure if you got it.

I just checked my dropzone.com mail and yes, I got it.

SpeedPhreak asked about getting double labels and as jerry81 noted, this can happen if you've got a DZ in the list twice - like once in the regular list and once in 'Temporary Places', or whatever. One way to fix it is to delete one of the entries; another way is to uncheck the box at the left of one of the entries, which should remove the labels for that entry.

Here is a general question for people outside of the US. In the US, it seems to be pretty common that the hangar where the plane and rigs are and the place where you jump and land are right next to each other, and that jumpers refer to the whole assembly as a 'dropzone'. If Acme Skydiving is at the Springfield airport, the plane takes off from Springfield, you jump out over that airport, and you land near the Springfield runway someplace. From a couple of the non-US entries, it seems like there are many more hangars where the plane and rigs are than there are places where you jump and land. Only the place where you jump and land is referred to as the 'dropzone'. Acme Skydiving might be at the Springfield airport and Yoyodyne Skydiving might be at the Bugtussle airport. The Iconium dropzone is at some third location - Acme's plane takes off from Springfield and flies to Iconium to drop jumpers, and Yoyodyne's plane takes off from Bugtussle and flies to Iconium to drop jumpers. Is this an accurate reflection of the situation or am I totally confused?

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I updated it last weekend and I will update it with all the additions since then on Monday the 30th.

The site is updated. I included everything new since the last update, plus I went back and added a couple of more Australian DZs from the thread that bob.dino linked to.

At the moment the naming convention is a little inconsistent as to whether it includes the name of the region and the name of the country or not. I plan to make these consistent in the next update.

Eule

The site is updated. I included the two DZs shaggio submitted. I also tried to bring a semblance of order to the naming convention, and went ahead and put the files in subdirectories by region, like I knew I should have done when I started this.

There are currently 64 dropzones listed.

Eule

Here are two more for my home DZ - Skydive Burnaby in Canada, and another one for the Jelgava dropzone in Latvia where I've been jumping for the past couple of months.

The Burnaby one is in a low-res part of the world, so I've had to use a bit of edumacated guesstimation. If the resolution improves, maybe we'll see how good my guesstificationing was. :)

Hi folks, here are my two german DZs for the moment, plus the beautiful Pitt Meadows DZ in Vancouver, BC.
Is there some way to index all submitted files? Or a way to download all available ones as a Google Earth group/folder?
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Here is my skydiving placemark collection. It contains several dropzones from Europe and most windtunnels (from another DZ.com Thread).

I think it would be a good idea to make one kmz file for all dropzones each country in a subfolder, with links and other informations.

Is there some way to index all submitted files? Or a way to download all available ones as a Google Earth group/folder?

Yes! I am putting the files on this site. You can get individual files or download all of them as one folder.

I updated the site a couple of hours ago. It does not yet have the ones from divinglog's post but I am working on those.

Eule