quade

Google Earth Drop Zone Project -- Ideas and Discussion

Was there ever a clean global copy of the kmz (Google Earth file) from this prior project? By clean I mean, just the location only, not 10-12 location pinpoints noting everything from the packing mat area location to the car park.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

There wasn't really. Some folks just made a mess of their DZ by cluttering it with unnecessary info. That's why I had asked for ppl to submit their dz's in a way as i decribed, but no one has posted anything since then...
There's a french collection, done by http://www.wuza.net/ which only has one icon per dz and all available info with that. It's very complete for Europe, didnt check the US.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

Google Earth is simply amazing.

Free and you can see some amazing detail for a lot of areas on the planet.

It got me to thinkin'.

What if we all, as a group, created a database of our own home drop zones. Hopefully somebody from just about every drop zone could take a few minutes, mark up some interesting landmarks and other information about their home dz and then we could all share the info.

For instance, here's one I did for my home drop zone, Perris Valley Skydiving. I created a folder and gave it a generic view, added in the drop zone web site, then inside that folder are some other marks showing the buildings, the regular landing area and just for kicks my interpretation of how I look at the bigway jump run.

What do you think of the format I've outlined?

Anybody else have any ideas for this project?

Hey, any way to make that attachment Mac friendly? The file extension is *.kmz . I have NO idea what that is. Could you possibly post it as a PDF file? I'm sure it's a great layout of your home DZ and I wouldn't want to miss it. Danke schon
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

It got me to thinkin'.

What if we all, as a group, created a database of our own home drop zones. Hopefully somebody from just about every drop zone could take a few minutes, mark up some interesting landmarks and other information about their home dz and then we could all share the info.

For instance, here's one I did for my home drop zone, Perris Valley Skydiving. I created a folder and gave it a generic view, added in the drop zone web site, then inside that folder are some other marks showing the buildings, the regular landing area and just for kicks my interpretation of how I look at the bigway jump run.

Hey, any way to make that attachment Mac friendly? The file extension is *.kmz . I have NO idea what that is. Could you possibly post it as a PDF file? I'm sure it's a great layout of your home DZ and I wouldn't want to miss it. Danke schon

Wooooow I feel like a dork now. All the files posted to this thread have file extension .kmz (or at least that is the way my stupid ass Mac is interpreting them... if you all see PDF's and JPG's and I don't, clearly it's my computer that's screwing up) Help???
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

.kmz are the natives files of Google Earth ... so i guess that if you install GE on your mac you "should" be able to read the files ... or go buy a PC :P

--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !

I have this one with dropzones all over the world.
There is still some incorrect data in it, so if you find some, let me know.
It's a .KML file this works on google Earth and in some gps systems (igo8)
It's 515 Kb so I can't post it here.
You can download it here;
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1302974#Post1302974

Preview:
http://earth.google.com/kmlpreview/#url=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs.keyhole.com%2Fubb%2Fubbthreads.php%3Fubb%3Ddownload%26Number%3D872624

It got me to thinkin'.

I worked for Keyhole and helped write Google Earth.

KML (Keyhole Markup Language) is an ASCII text based XML based file. Platform compatability should not an issue.

KMZ is a compressed KML file (zipped), platform should not be an issue. The compressed files are just after my time there but the engineers I know there would not have made it anything other than cross platform, they're just not that dumb.

If you are seeing an issue with KMZ on a mac it is probably that it is not associated correctly, endianness should not be a problem for either format. It may be case sensitivity with the extension but I'm not a mac guy so I wouldn't know if it is sensitive to this where a PC is not.

You could also try unzipping the KMZ and making sure the result has a .kml extension. Use gzip or equivalent mac tool.

You can then take a look at the ASCII in a text editor or load it into Google Earth.

P.S. you also have a byte stream ASCII file going into a byte stream compressor, zip, there is no place for platform compatability to creep in, although when you uncompress it you'll need a compatible zip, (most should work but it's worth knowing when getting your hands dirty).

You should also ensure you have the latest Google Earth version.