quade

Google Earth Drop Zone Project -- Ideas and Discussion

Google Earth is simply amazing.

Free and you can see some amazing detail for a lot of areas on the planet.

It got me to thinkin'.

What if we all, as a group, created a database of our own home drop zones. Hopefully somebody from just about every drop zone could take a few minutes, mark up some interesting landmarks and other information about their home dz and then we could all share the info.

For instance, here's one I did for my home drop zone, Perris Valley Skydiving. I created a folder and gave it a generic view, added in the drop zone web site, then inside that folder are some other marks showing the buildings, the regular landing area and just for kicks my interpretation of how I look at the bigway jump run.

What do you think of the format I've outlined?

Anybody else have any ideas for this project?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I wonder if they could somehow be hosted here within the dropzone directory?

The mark up files are very, very small and as you can see, fit easily within the upload limits imposed by the standard threads. We -could- just make a thread devoted to the topic.
quade -

Right click on My Places and create a new new folder. Put all of your markers in that folder. Then right click on the folder and pick "Save As", save the KMZ file, then upload it here.

If you are one of those single-mouse-button Mac types, you'll have to figure out what to do instead of right clicking.

Then you can edit the information to your heart's content!

The description fields can contain HTML too!

The views can be specified precisely if you know the lat-longs or just repositioned and you can adjust the "eye height" of the view as well.

Google Earth really did this right and it's an awesome tool.
quade -

A KMZ file is just a zip file. WinZip or any of those programs can open it, and you can edit the KML files inside with a plain old text editor. But the easiest thing to do is just download Google Earth and use that to load up the KMZ and edit everything visually.

Unfortunately my home DZ is in the low-res part of the world.

Then you can edit the information to your heart's content!

The description fields can contain HTML too!

The views can be specified precisely if you know the lat-longs or just repositioned and you can adjust the "eye height" of the view as well.

Google Earth really did this right and it's an awesome tool.

My favorite part of Google Earth is how open it is. I had a service going that would automagically show you the 20 geocaches closest to wherever the map is centered. It was way cool, and only took me a few hours to get set up, but scraping the geocaching site for coordinates was way against their TOS and apparently they notice lots of traffic and ban IPs.

Awesome!

Ok, test complete. Proof that with minimal direction another person can fairly easily do this.

Is it just me or is the potential here pretty fantastic?

BTW, "end of runway" . . . lol . . . I can only imagine.
quade -

BTW, "end of runway" . . . lol . . . I can only imagine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember one of the very first episodes of skydiveradio.com?

Yep. That's where Pinky took his naked tumble down the hill. It was actually just to the East of the marker on the map. It's hard to see the depth from the photo but it's at least 20 or 30 feet there.

Also, did you notice whats written on top of the clubhouse :)

Skydive Radio

If I click on any of these ".kmz" files in this thread, google earth opens, but then I get an error window that pops up and says "cannot open ...file for reading".

So, I just figured out that I had to right-click the file, then save it to (desktop) then in google earth click file, open, etc. and it loads right up.

Just an FYI for anybody else who runs into the same problem I encountered when just trying to open the file without saving it to their computer first.

Is anyone able to open the files by left clicking them right from dz.com, or is everyone else having to save the file first?

Ok, this is officially a cool thing we have going.

At first I thought it would be great to have them all be ultra consistant and formatted exactly alike, but after seeing a few, I love everybody's individual styles of doing them. Let's you know that you really are getting the information from individuals closely associated with the DZ.

Now all we have to do is get more people to join in!
quade -

Here's one of Mile High....yea, I was bored at work, lol...