roostnureye

"Free Fly Friendly"!!!!

Hey everyone out there i have an idea for freeflyers.
i have been considering this idea for a while now, so hear me out.

Imagine instead of showing up to a new dropzone and wondering around looking for someone to jump with, imagine a patch that all freefliers "could" wear to show that they are "free fly friendly"
since we are one big family here why not open our minds and make freeflying a "friendlier" sport.

its just an idea, hopefully it will take off, but any nomadic freeflyer would appreciate being asked to come on a jump that normally would take some effort to get on.

ive spoken with a few others locally and they've all agreed it could benefit us

im thinking about making some patches if there is any interest.

so in the future if you see a patch like the attachment, hopefully you will be inclined to ask a fellow freeflyer to come jump with ya.

and if anyone has any input on this idea please let me know how we can make this happen and be safe.
thanks and blues.....
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Just a question, but is it too hard to ask other FFers when your on the DZ? I just haven't been to a DZ where you couldn't find someone to jump with after a little asking around.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Kinda looks like a cool patch, but I don't know how valuable it is as a signal that you're a freeflier.

I've been nomadic for a while and I've jumped at more than 30 DZ's from Northern Canada to Southern Argentina. The best thing to do is show up and start talking to people.....Unless you're looking for a code so you don't have to talk to us belly fliers. In that case, fuck you too asshole!:P

I got nuthin

Kinda looks like a cool patch, but I don't know how valuable it is as a signal that you're a freeflier.

It would be a great patch to wear so people would know that there are some super-secret freefliers on the DZ. They could sew it on their freefly suits, while they listen to techno and watch video from their last jump...

Or they could make it into a sticker so they can put it on their open faced freefly helmet with a camera and a wide angle lens...

I don't know how else we could possibly tell the FFers apart from those ordinary jumpers with their tight fighting belly suits with booties and Z1 helmets...

:o:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Imagine instead of showing up to a new dropzone and wondering around looking for someone to jump with, imagine a patch that all freefliers "could" wear to show that they are "free fly friendly"
since we are one big family here why not open our minds and make freeflying a "friendlier" sport.

Just because I'm a newbie and I'm interested in learning how to freefly, I wonder if you can elaborate on the fact that freeflying is not "friendly". Do you mean it is very exclusive to the skydivers who call themselves freefliers? Or that no one else wants to jump with freefliers?

Hey everyone out there i have an idea for freeflyers.
i have been considering this idea for a while now, so hear me out.

When I go to new drop zones I talk to the people who want me to fill out a waiver and if they're not helpful I talk to manifest.

"Hey, I free fly. With over a thousand jumps I'm competent head-up but not head down. Who should I jump with? I'm down with casual RW too, who's up for that? I brought my wingsuits too..."

and quickly get pointed in the right direction.

Having my name embroidered on my left mud flap makes things a little easier after that because the people I'm jumping with don't need to actually remember my name.

Just because I'm a newbie and I'm interested in learning how to freefly, I wonder if you can elaborate on the fact that freeflying is not "friendly". Do you mean it is very exclusive to the skydivers who call themselves freefliers? Or that no one else wants to jump with freefliers?

Given a choice people want to spend their $25 lift tickets on jumps which are likely to succeed and not hurt them.

Unfortunately it takes a lot of experience to be able to build interesting free-fly formations. No one on my first 4-way free-fly formation which built after exit (round, two head-up, two head-down) had fewer than 700 jumps. There were a few 3-way attempts before that which didn't work.

Sufficiently inexperienced (this isn't just number of jumps) free fliers often can't maintain fall rate after a bump which creates a safety issue when they get bumped, loose stability, and are headed towards people over them at 40 MPH. Just ending up with people outside the formation is bad since you can't relax and do your thing when you're worrying about where people will be for break off.

Combine the two and people have an understandable reluctance to avoid new and/or unknown jumpers.

Conversely I've made a bunch of great flat jumps including people with under a hundred jumps and can't really think of a bad belly jump where we were honest about the participants skill levels and put people in slots they were likely to fly well enough.

You would do well to spend a _lot_ of time and money on vertical wind tunnels to get past the bar to admittance on interesting free fly jumps and/or be flexible on body position.

You don't need to be vertical to be relaxed and have fun.

Given a choice people want to spend their $25 lift tickets on jumps which are likely to succeed and not hurt them.

Unfortunately it takes a lot of experience to be able to build interesting free-fly formations. No one on my first 4-way free-fly formation which built after exit (round, two head-up, two head-down) had fewer than 700 jumps. There were a few 3-way attempts before that which didn't work.

Sufficiently inexperienced (this isn't just number of jumps) free fliers often can't maintain fall rate after a bump which creates a safety issue when they get bumped, loose stability, and are headed towards people over them at 40 MPH. Just ending up with people outside the formation is bad since you can't relax and do your thing when you're worrying about where people will be for break off.

Combine the two and people have an understandable reluctance to avoid new and/or unknown jumpers.

Conversely I've made a bunch of great flat jumps including people with under a hundred jumps and can't really think of a bad belly jump where we were honest about the participants skill levels and put people in slots they were likely to fly well enough.

You would do well to spend a _lot_ of time and money on vertical wind tunnels to get past the bar to admittance on interesting free fly jumps and/or be flexible on body position.

You don't need to be vertical to be relaxed and have fun.

Yah, I don't know how this sport can ever get boring. :)

I had a feeling you were going to say all this. I've only heard in passing that freefly is one of the most difficult disciplines to learn, and in part is why I want to learn it. However, what you say is a bit daunting, if not discouraging. Especially with how much tunnel time costs, I don't know if I can afford to keep up my interest in FF if it takes as long as you say...

I had a feeling you were going to say all this. I've only heard in passing that freefly is one of the most difficult disciplines to learn, and in part is why I want to learn it. However, what you say is a bit daunting, if not discouraging. Especially with how much tunnel time costs, I don't know if I can afford to keep up my interest in FF if it takes as long as you say...

Everything Drew said is correct in terms of the experience required to build successful vertical formations. However, don't let that discourage you. The key to having fun yet being safe when you're inexperienced is by sticking to small groups. You don't need to do a 10-way (or even a 4-way, which for a belly jump is modest in size) to have a great time.

since talking seems to be highly overrated these days, it's probably the way to go.... /sarcasm off/

plus it reminds me of the thing gays used to do some years down the road: wearing colored bandanas in the backpockets of jeans. the variation of color and placement (left/right) could result in interesting sexual practices - now do not ask me how i come to know :P

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Yah, I don't know how this sport can ever get boring.

It gets boring because you LET it get boring. You get stuck in a rut and won't try new things. An example is if you do a few thousand jumps doing RW and competing and becoming very good, you nearly start at the beginning when you try FFing. Some people simply won't do that.

Others get burnt out because they get ratings and ONLY do working jumps. If the only jumps you do is 15 tandems a day each weekend, you'll start to hate skydiving.

I've done a little FFing, I've done a little RW and I enjoyed it, but I got sucked into swooping in a big way and have spent the last few years focused on that. If that every gets "boring" then I'll go back to RW or FF or whatever new thing there is then.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'll just come right out and say it, that's a dumb idea, and I'll tell you why-

For starters, what does the patch mean? Unless it means you can turn 10 points on a VRW jump, then you're right back to doing it the old fashioned way, just talking to people. Even with a patch, you still need to find out if the wearer has 12 sit fly jumps, or a gold medal.

Beyond that, it's a dropzone where everyone is a jumper, just talk to them. If you were standing in line at Walmart behind a guy in a PD shirt, you'd strike up a conversation right away, but put you at a DZ full of these people, and you want a patch to do the talking for you?

In the words of Rodney King, "Ouch, that hurts...", ok not those words, the other words, "Why can't we all just get along"?

Just be a skydiver and make friends. I'm a great freeflier, and I would never wear a gay (not sexually) patch on my jumpsuit. If you visit my DZ and want to jump with me, you just have to ask. Talk to anyone at my DZ about freeflying, and they'll point you in my direction, it's as easy as that.

... imagine a patch that all freefliers "could" wear to show that they are "free fly friendly"..

It's no worse an idea than a lot of things I have seen suggested.

Go for it. What's the worst that can happen? You lose money.

You might take it further a make a number of designs for different disciplines. (Lose more money!)

... imagine a patch that all freefliers "could" wear to show that they are "free fly friendly"..

It's no worse an idea than a lot of things I have seen suggested.

Go for it. What's the worst that can happen? You lose money.

You might take it further a make a number of designs for different disciplines. (Lose more money!)

I have another idea!

Maybe freefliers could wear some sort of clothing article that made it clear they are freefliers?

I'm thinking a hat. Or maybe some sort of shoes that were clearly for freeflying...

OH! I KNOW! How about a jumpsuit designed for freeflying, slightly more baggy than a RW suit, maybe without grippers (or maybe some sort of flat grippers, but not like RW, need to be different you know)...

I'll look into this, and get back to you with a website where you could order one...

:P;)
Remster

wow i never realized how many doushe bags there are on this website, im just trying to bring people together that enjoy the same discipline. some people are "shy" and others dont speak the same language. just trying to break the barriers that keep us apart. im talking about traveling outside of the US, where language barriers can be a problem. but hey shit all over the idea, i dont care, i was just trying to give back and hopefully aid in the advancment of the sport.

FFF#1 bitches
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

dude why do you have to be like that?
its an idea, if you dont like the idea dont agree with it. no reason to knock it.

looks like you arent very friendly anyway, clubs probably not for you with an attitude like that.

im here to promote freeflying and get others to accept and jump with people whom they might not already know and jump with. just a way to spread the love man.
sorry for calling u a doushebag but so many people are so negative nowadays. i just dont get it. we came to this sport to have fun and make friends. not to hate on people and their ideas.

cant people just be open with others and not be mr big badass for a change????

btw i dont have a problem finding people to jump with, i have friends at allot of dropzones, i am outgoing and like to talk to people but everyone is not like me.
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

having a bad day? didn't get any lately? aaaawwww poor boy - cheer up:)

im here to promote freeflying

i hate to spell out the news for you: you're ten years late. at least

you asked a question, you got some answers you didn't like and now everbody not agreeing is a douche? poor style man, even for a freeflyer :P:ph34r::P:ph34r:
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

we came to this sport to have fun and make friends.

All the more reason you don't need a patch to segregate the jumpers, and make it easy for you to spot people you might want to jump with. How about being open to jumping with everyone, regardless of their expereince, abilities, or jumpsuit adornemt?

You had a thought, and I made some very vaild points as to why I thought it was unneccesary, and not going to succeed. I went on to offer, what I thought was a much friendlier solution to your problem of finding people to jump with.

You started with name calling, and I replied in kind. Maybe I'll tell you what I really wanted to post in the first place.

Your idea is lame. Nobody is going to sew a ptach on their jumpsuit to be in the 'freefly club' any sooner then they're going to sign up for the 'freefly sunset song and dance number'. It's not going to happen.

You want to call me a douche? Fine, I'm a douche, but at least if a new person shows up at the DZ I can try to hide it, You on the other hand will have a patch sewn to your jumpsuit so everyone will know that you're a douche before they get within tne feet of you.

On second thought, produce and distribute the patches to anyone interested. I'll know who to talk to next time I have a smelly vagina.