skywombat

Do your parents know?

As an adult, why do you feel you can't tell them?

As is the case with some other people upthread, I come from an immigrant family (am one myself) with more traditional values for raising children. My mother was brought up in a very restrictive and protective environment, which, I suppose, may have been warranted by the times and the place. Some of this has been reflected on me as well, as evidenced by my mother's attempts to discourage me from participating in other "less conventional" activities (such as exploring, biking at night, etc). Furthermore, to say that my mother "worries about everything" is an understatement. Add to that the fact that her coworker, who herself stopped jumping after getting injured on AFF, fed her some gnarly stories from the DZ.

I have lived on my own some time now, and I have found that in some cases, it is best to keep my mother blissfully ignorant of things that happen to me (like being mugged, for one). Telling her about my jumping hobby would place her into a constant state of anxiety that cannot be argued away through statistics and safety practices. Thus, there is no point in coming out with it since nothing constructive can come of it.

On the other hand, the other "parent" is aware of my jumping and is indifferent to it based on the belief that if it's so popular, it must not be that bad.

I have found that in some cases, it is best to keep my mother blissfully ignorant of things that happen to me (like being mugged, for one). Telling her about my jumping hobby would place her into a constant state of anxiety that cannot be argued away through statistics and safety practices. Thus, there is no point in coming out with it since nothing constructive can come of it.

Yep. I've mentioned that my mom's the hysterical type. I should also mention that her mom was also the hysterical type. When my mom's brother was deployed during WWII, my grandmother cried non-stop, 24/7, for 4 straight years - to the point where other moms whose sons were also away at war thought she was nuts. Some moms are just like that. No, you simply don't tell them things.

How many times have you heard the phrase "You'll understand how I feel when you become a parent". When I do tell my mom certain things, try to stand up for what I want to do that she doesn't agree with, I can be met with this form of resistance. It's always the most powerful weapon in a parent's arsenal.

With all do respect, Skymama, I must disagree with you, at least for me. I have a very good, “adult” relationship with my Mom. So much so that I don’t see the need to cause her lots of unnecessary stress and anxiety. And talking about the fatality rate??? You jest, no?

First hand experience with this topic: in 1991 I was hiking to get to an untracked chute and I fell off a cliff above Alta, Utah. After I got out of the hospital I spent some time recovering at my parents house. They were great, but my Mom ran around saying (please read this quote with a Jewish accent): “It’s a plot to kill the mother! It’s a plot to kill the mother!” To this day, every time I go skiing she gets way, way nervous. Why put her though that every weekend?

bwahahahaha, she sounds like my mum, bet yours is an expert in emotional black mail too ... Jewish mums are the same as Indian moms ...
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

I was 35 when I started skydiving and I told my parents before I started. My dad was pretty worried but wanted to see me do it. He was so excited that he paid for my A license. My mother did two tandems with me. Now my daughter wants to jump! Yes, I am a little worried!

Mine know...they both hate it. Back when I went through AFF I would mention it here or there and they would FLIP OUT. So I stopped talking about it completely with them and don't even tell them when I go or how much I go (they'd REALLY flip out then :P). It was the best decision I ever made. Even if they ask, I shrug it off now cause it always ends bad. I don't have to deal with mom talking all negative about it and taking the fun out of it. Kinda sad really that they can't/won't ever share in the excitement, but don't worry about that...you'll find TONS of other jumpers that will be just as excited as you are about it on the weekends. Besides, you are doing it for yourself, right?!!!

My parents came out to see me make my first jump and have shown up a few other times since then to watch. My grandpa was a pilot back in the day and when my dad was a kid he used to "kick" skydivers out of it, so he's okay with it. Mom on the other hand... not so much.

Yup. Dad was an airborne jumper with the 519th M.I. Batallion at Fort Bragg in the early 90's(think Desert Shield, Desert Storm), then a D licensed jumper at Skydive Dallas late 90's, early 00's. Watching him airborne is the main reason I'm a jumper today. My Mom also knows I jump, and she couldn't care less. :)

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

So, do your parents know you jump? Did you outright tell them, or did they discover it some other way? How did they find out? What was the reaction?

If my mother found out, I would be dead before I hit the ground, so I don't plan on coming out of the gear closet any time soon. What about you?

Told Mom about jumping, but her rule was that I must tell her when I got back from the DZ, NEVER tell her when I was going TO the DZ... ;)

'course, this was after she found out I had been taking sailplane lessons and we had the talk about "tell me what you're up to..."

That was 20 years ago... now she comes out to see me jump.

J
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...