kallend

Dropzones on Garmin AERA GPS

I just bought a GARMIN AERA 560 for my plane and am pleasantly surprised to see that drop zones are shown on the moving map display.

This is my 5th aviation GPS and the first one to show DZs.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I just bought a GARMIN AERA 560 for my plane and am pleasantly surprised to see that drop zones are shown on the moving map display.

This is my 5th aviation GPS and the first one to show DZs.

It's been in the works for awhile as far as I've known but due to the bureaucracy of how that data gets updated, it's taken it's sweet time. It's good to see that it's finally filtering down.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Friggin awesomely sweet!

Send a big "Thank You" to USPA for working through the system to make that happen.

When I first identified the issue back in 2003 drop zone data wasn't stored digitally, and there wasn't any standard for how that data could be shared between or within systems/computers. Nobody was even thinking in those terms.

I was a lone wolf for a while, but eventually Ed Scott at USPA joined the fight, and when Randy Ottinger focused on the issue in early 2008 things really picked up.

Our first major milestone was securing an international data protocol approved for the ARINC standard in May of 2005. Data conversion for inclusion in the National Airspace System Resource came in July of 2007. There is an ongoing effort to get data update approvals within ATC, which will improve the integrity and distribution of the existing (new) database.

Garmin took notice of our plight in May 2008. At that point they had already recognized the international ARINC data standard, and a private database developer provided data for DZ depiction on the Garmin 496 in Europe. Garmin was willing to look at the new FAA digital database to accomplish the same thing in the United States. I'm glad to hear they got it done.

There is still a great deal of work to do to update the database and cull ancient DZ's, and more manufacturers need to be brought on board. Plus, we need to get DZ's included in flight planning software. But, in spite of the long journey still ahead on the issue, there has been enormous progress.

When folks wonder what USPA does for the membership, we should all remember the inclusion of drop zones in navigation databases as one of those small things that can make a huge safety difference. It takes a ton of time and effort, and efforts like these are rarely recognized, but without the staff and support of USPA, these changes couldn't happen.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

When folks wonder what USPA does for the membership, we should all remember the inclusion of drop zones in navigation databases as one of those small things that can make a huge safety difference. It takes a ton of time and effort, and efforts like these are rarely recognized, but without the staff and support of USPA, these changes couldn't happen.

Just thought it should be repeated. ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

For anyone looking for similar for the UK, attached is a Garmin waypoint file, of UK dropzones, that can be uploaded to the Garmin 296/396/496 models.

I'm still on the Garmin 496 and planning to buy Aera 550. I don't know, but doubt the European Aera model will have this built in like the North American model 560
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"