Fruitfly

Taking Up Skydiving in Mid-life

started at 46, how can youngins afford this sport !

beg, borrow, cheat and steal!!! i drive a shitty truck (that's paid for), eat shitty food, drink shitty beer, dont waste money (meaning everything that doesn't have to do with skydiving), work a couple shitty jobs so my weekends stay open, and i love every second of it because i know it'll get me back in the sky.

im 22 btw
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Generally, people who pick up the sport at an older age are much more serious and competent than those who are younger. Greater maturity makes one look at safety as a way to stay alive rather than "Stoopid Rules that some Old Guy makes me follow".

The pervasive attitude of twenty-somethings that they are infallible and indestructible has contributed to more DZ craters than you can count.

Kevin K.

stupid is stupid, it doesnt matter how many years you have had to perfect it.

edited to add: i am not disagreeing with you about the infallible 20something's, just that stupid doesnt have age limits.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

No, but there's a reason men don't usually hit their financial prime until around 40. Dad told me that if I had started jumping 15 years ago, I'd bounced by now.

Generally, people who pick up the sport at an older age are much more serious and competent than those who are younger. Greater maturity makes one look at safety as a way to stay alive rather than "Stoopid Rules that some Old Guy makes me follow".

The pervasive attitude of twenty-somethings that they are infallible and indestructible has contributed to more DZ craters than you can count.

Kevin K.

stupid is stupid, it doesnt matter how many years you have had to perfect it.

edited to add: i am not disagreeing with you about the infallible 20something's, just that stupid doesnt have age limits.

I started at 36.

The oldest active skydiver I've personally met had just turned 80 and jumped on a load with me that day. I thought that was impressive.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

I started @ 42 years old.
I am now 52.

I have somewhere between 2500 and 3000 skydives (heck, who counts)

I was a participant in the 2007 POPS world record, 2009 Florida POPS record, 2009 Nevada State Record and the 2009 Mens world record.

Don't think that you have to start in your 20s to do some awesome skydiving.

I did my first tandem at 35. It was just one item on my "Bucket" list. The intent was to try it have a good time and move on. I remember my tandem instructor asking me if I'd do it again when my feet touched the ground. My reply was "NOPE!!!". I walked into manifest 2 min. later and paid for my 2nd tandem. Since then I've thrown away my bucket list:)

See ya in a minute. Peace out!