Fruitfly

Taking Up Skydiving in Mid-life

My wife came to a DZ party last summer and made an interesting observation about age. She noted that we jumpers did NOT seem to self-segregate by age as much as other groups do. We pretty much ignore age and just have fun.

Really true. I am 60 and have been jumping since I was 18. When I was 18 I noticed how little age seemed to matter if you were a safe heads up jumper. It hasn't changed much in 42 years.

I leave the edgy swoops with micro canopies to the young folks, but I've done RW with people significantly older and younger than me and it's no big deal.

I cant think of many sports, let alone extreme ones, where age groups mix so easily.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I started when I was 38 just over a year ago. Nobody really pays attention to age. I even find that the younger, more experienced jumpers are willing to take me under their wing for a jump or two to teach me a few things. I've learned a lot of stuff from jumpers 10 and 15 years younger than me. It's great. They also do shit I'd never think about doing.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

I started at 41. I hope that's ~mid-life. :)

That's a great quote.

Started 19 months ago at the age of 40.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm hoping I am just now at "mid-life". The past 18 years have gone by waaaaaayyy too fast! :P Maybe 59 can be the "new" 41. :)

Generally, people who pick up the sport at an older age are much more serious and competent than those who are younger. Greater maturity makes one look at safety as a way to stay alive rather than "Stoopid Rules that some Old Guy makes me follow".

The pervasive attitude of twenty-somethings that they are infallible and indestructible has contributed to more DZ craters than you can count.

Kevin K.

I started at age 50 -- made a tandem just for grins and to celebrate my 50th. I made a second one and I was hooked. My first tandem was July 27, 2007. I am one of the "old guys" at my DZ, but age does not seem to mean much other than I am likely to take longer to heal if I break myself. As you can see, I really got hooked. Decided I liked teaching so now I am a TI and AFFI.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

When I was at Eloy the oldest person that I've seen pass AFF level 1 was an 80 year old man. He was a former combat pilot who had one emergency jump, round I assume. He did one tandem then took the FJC on his 80th birthday. I did the video of his jump and he did damn good. He fell to one knee on landing IIRC and was disappointed that he didn't stand it up. Better than I'll be at that age I'm sure!

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

I did my first 6 years ago at age 51 - it was my daughter's 18th birthday, and I decided to do "one jump" to prove to her the old man could do it too. Scared the crap out of me at the door, and as a bad tandem student, I grabbed the door frame to turn and say "NOOOOOOOO", then we were out. I hit the ground and said "where do I sign up for lessons" I went home, told my girlfriend (now wife), and she said if I could do it, she could. She will hit her 500th soon.:)

"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

Hi Everyone,
I've decided to pursue an AFF A license at age 46. I'm reading the threads on this forum with great interest and I'm pretty stoked to have found such an adventurous crowd!

Just curious~~
I'd love to hear from those who picked up this sport in his/her 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's....:D

Started at 52

Competed 4 times at nationals. Won a bronze.

Been on lots of big formations, most recently on 68-way wingsuit US record.

Gravity does all the work.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.