bbarnhouse

Verdict Skydive Arizona VS Quattrocchi et el

IIRC, it was the one approximately two back from Skydiving Magazine's final issue, and not but a couple months before the last board election in which Jan was not chosen. Done on purpose, obviously, and gave her little or no chance to reply. But then again how much could she actually respond to given the gag order set in place by Glenn Bangs and the rest of the Executive Committee?!

I believe those statements were the main reason she wasn't re-elected because a lot of people mistakenly thought they were from a more credible and unbiased source (i.e. not Parachutist)

They were wrong, Robin was certainly wrong.

Maybe if you can't find the article Robin will be so kind as to take it down out of the frame over the fireplace and scan it and send to you?
Roll Tide Roll

Speaking of the decision-making Executive Committee of that dark time in recent past, where are they and their wisdom publicly defending themselves and their choices on behalf of you, the United States of P.A. which you've all paid into; me personally begrudgingly in recent past (not this year yet, though) on this small and insignificant/unimportant/unheard website and newsgroup? I was there in Orlando the day it came up (the "DOOR" day I call it) when Glenn pulled his stunt as the question arose and all the dz.commers (majority of the audience participants) were ordered to leave the room rudely and abruptly - Glenn forgot he works for US). I wonder sometimes if they are happy with that change-money they got from our membership fees and insurance, Ren and Stimpy? Seems trivial, the amount, considering how much it cost, the parade they went on after the seemingly (my humble and personal opinion only, no statement of legal fact here) engineered USPA Executive Committee of that day's suspicious settlement, on their neighbors there in Georgia, South of the highway...

I'd like to hear counterpoints here on this small and insignificant and unheard website, considering I'm trying to be fair and balanced. I'm all ears! Not holding my breath though...

Like Pops said, "...the silence is deafening." And like Billy the DC said, "!@#$%^&*()Cary!@#$%^&*()Ben!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wwttxW5hMg

You can lie, but you can't lie forever.
Roll Tide Roll

What exactly are you looking for USPA to comment on? They are obviously not going to talk about skyride... Just because skyride lost the SDAZ case doesn't change their position with regard to USPA. I'm sure USPA will be staying out of these types of matters for a loooong time. If you want a comment, talk to a USPA official in person... they have opinions, they just can't share them publicly, for good reason.

Dave

I don't think they reserve the right to hide their opinion completely when they work for us (supposedly) and we wanted answers regarding their decisions all along - if those were the right decisions which they supposedly stand by on our behalf against this supposed monstrosity of dissent; I for one don't trust the privileged opinion which lead to this settlement, considering I have no right so far to read it as a member then. And I don't think they deserve the right to hide their opinions and private negotiations, considering once again, they work for us). As far as talking about anything with a USPA official in person, I think that was covered in Orlando under the DOOR! thing when we were all kicked out rudely and abruptly.
Roll Tide Roll

...they have opinions, they just can't share them publicly, for good reason.

Dave

I'd like to know the reason, otherwise I am still in dissent...and convinced a fox is in the henhouse.

And in your opinion of the "good reason," would you like to elaborate on that?
Roll Tide Roll

...Just because skyride lost the SDAZ case doesn't change their position with regard to USPA...
Dave

I think it does, and maybe what remains of USPA will be forced to grow a set of balls and get rid of the limp sacks who have been hanging on too long in their positions. It only proves that when smart people with fortitude stand up and hold their front against a bulwark of deception and greed that threatens their whole environment ("fortune favors the bold" C-roach says, in a misquote from Ben Franklin), that they will win in the end, however painful and long the trip will be for the the few martyrs who prove the old theory of just people prevail.
Roll Tide Roll

I'd like to know the reason, otherwise I am still in dissent...and convinced a fox is in the henhouse.

The reason for what? For settling the lawsuit with skyride? It was because they were going to lose. USPA knew they had fucked up right after skyride filed the lawsuit. I heard a USPA official say that USPA was most likely going to lose very soon after the lawsuit was filed. LONG before the settlement. I'm sure the settlement was decided by USPAs lawyers and insurance company. I'm sure secrecy is one of the terms of the settlement. Another term of the settlement, I assume, is to stay out of skyride's business practices.

If USPA starts badmouthing skyride publicly, they'll probably get sued again, and they'll probably lose. They made it very clear they were going to stay out of this sort of thing from now on.

I am still glad USPA at least tried to stop skyride. Too bad they didn't find a more effective way to do it. But it became real clear, real quick, that they messed up bigtime.

Dave

The reason for what? For settling the lawsuit with skyride?

YES!

It was because they were going to lose.

Is that right?! Glad SDAZ didn't feel that way, they seem to have made bank after all their hard work, though that's my own personal observation - I would think they would rather had never gone through this whole ordeal to begin with, regardless of the possible monetary outcome to their well-deserved benefit.

USPA knew they had fucked up right after skyride filed the lawsuit. I heard a USPA official say that USPA was most likely going to lose very soon after the lawsuit was filed.

completely unfounded. I believe USPA EC fucked up there, or were completely stupid, or maybe in some people's opinions profited from it. Jury's still out on that, but I personally have no certain opinion one way or the other.

I'm sure the settlement was decided by USPAs lawyers and insurance company. I'm sure secrecy is one of the terms of the settlement. Another term of the settlement, I assume, is to stay out of skyride's business practices.

Oh, we agree on all that. Add to it the Executive Committee as far as the blatant secrecy - however I do not think USPA's Executive Committee's covert and secretive choice to decide to unilaterally remove the organization's ethical and moral obligation of the business practices of a subversive unit within our midst benefits any of us, rather hurts us all.

I am still glad USPA at least tried to stop skyride. Too bad they didn't find a more effective way to do it. But it became real clear, real quick, that they messed up bigtime.

Dave

I am not convinced in your game of Devil's advocate.
Roll Tide Roll

Pilotdave, perhaps some of the USPA board members which you seem to defend at this time would like to speak up for themselves regarding their decisions on our behalf, rather than have you abstractly defend them?

And before you suggest "asking them myself privately," via note or mail or whatever, that hasn't worked either.

Crickets chirping yet again...
Roll Tide Roll

Not playing devil's advocate. I don't think there's a big conspiracy. USPA's lawyers informed them that they were wrong to kick skyride out as soon as the lawsuit was filed. USPA did the smart thing and settled. Would you have preferred that they lost a $10 million case in court? I realize we don't know how much they did lose... but it was a lot less than that.

You can ask all you want. Someone like Jan may have more information that she will share. But I doubt anyone that wants to be affiliated with USPA next week is going to tell you anything today.

Or maybe it's a huge conspiracy and USPA is out to get you. Yeah, that's the simple answer that makes the most sense.

Dave

You can ask all you want. Someone like Jan may have more information that she will share. But I doubt anyone that wants to be affiliated with USPA next week is going to tell you anything today.

Or maybe it's a huge conspiracy and USPA is out to get you. Yeah, that's the simple answer that makes the most sense.

Dave

There is a dirty little secret that USPA doesn't want anybody to know about.... that's the reason for the shroud of secrecy.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Not playing devil's advocate. I don't think there's a big conspiracy. USPA's lawyers informed them that they were wrong to kick skyride out as soon as the lawsuit was filed. USPA did the smart thing and settled. Would you have preferred that they lost a $10 million case in court? I realize we don't know how much they did lose... but it was a lot less than that.

Dave

I don't think there's a BIG conspiracy either, just a small one maybe. Show me exactly where USPA's lawyers "informed them," if you have the documentation or otherwise.
As far as losing anything, I would rather our purported representatives stood their ground against it. Maybe that's the only place you and I respectfully disagree, and something I will not relent in the forseeable future - it's just a moral stance as far as I'm concerned.
$10 mil - "we don't know how much they did lose...but it was a lot less than that?" Really? Do tell what we "don't know" that was "a lot less."

I CAN ask all I want, and I deserve the answers everyone else does, in spite of your defensive and cynical tone. You DON'T speak for Jan as far as what information she will share, and your statement immediately following that which I refer only proves you recognize my assertion of secrecy in this organization, you have to admit that: "I doubt anyone that wants to be affiliated with USPA next week is going to tell you anything today." We agree!

Oh, and I have never asserted or felt USPA was "out to get me." Nice try, though.
Roll Tide Roll

So let me get this right.... We have a parasite in our industry that many DZO's have felt compelled to do business with???? Then we have our organization "USPA" that we as members support and finance with our hard earned money.... They in-turn make an effort to deal with this issue only to get sued thus alowing to further enhance the profitability of a bogus BS system fed buy our DZO's?? & Costing us and our organization MONEY...... Shame on every DZO that still supports them.. I hope we all have learned a very very important lesson here people..... Are we that despeate for business?? I think not......

Are we that despeate for business?? I think not......

Universally, are "we" that desperate for business? No. Individually, are a quite a few DZOs that desperate for business? Apparently yes

The irony I see; I'm sure that the vast majority of these DZOs who choose to partner with Skyride are honest, respectable folks. They wouldn't make it a practice to lie, cheat, and steel, or set policy that their employees do such. But, they have no problem partnering with someone as their proxy to do exactly that.

If there are more law suits, and DZOs who enable Skyride are named, I'm guessing that the rats will start abandoning the Skyride ship in a hurry. It may be considered "dirty" within the community to sue a "fellow DZO", but I think that the end justifies the means.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Then we have our organization "USPA" that we as members support and finance with our hard earned money.... They in-turn make an effort to deal with this issue only to get sued thus alowing to further enhance the profitability of a bogus BS system fed buy our DZO's?? & Costing us and our organization MONEY

The summary of that is, we're screwed, but there are options.

Option 1: Allow the FAA to regulate the sport. (We're completely screwed)
Option 2: USPA operates BAU. (We're screwed on certain days of the week. Despite the good USPA does for us, there is a ration of shit we must endure. Think of it like this - put a pile of shit on a plate - will you eat it? Divide the shit in half and replace that part with your favorite food. Will you eat it now? Keep dividing by half and replacing with your favorite food - at what point are you happy to eat the shit? That's USPA. That plus a glossy magazine.)
Option 3: Establish a new organization. (As it's so unlikely to succeed as to be utterly irrelevent, see Option 2).

Shame on every DZO that still supports them..

Shame is good. Refusing to support them through patronage and referrals is better. It has to be done by individuals, on the local level, because we have no Association support due to the massive cock-up by the EC.

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Show me exactly where USPA's lawyers "informed them," if you have the documentation or otherwise.

I have none. After the lawsuit was filed, I think a lot of us figured it was going to get thrown out in a hurry. It seemed ridiculous that a fraudulent company could sue the USPA for kicking them out. Obviously USPA felt justified or they wouldn't have done it.

But back then, a USPA official mentioned, in person to a group of skydivers (including myself), that USPA was in big trouble. This lawsuit was no joke. Of course I have no documentation to prove anything. I'm not involved in any way, except for what I heard (first hand) from a USPA official.

USPA got real quiet about skyride for a while (during the lawsuit), then suddenly announced that they had settled, would reinstate group memberships for skyride-owned DZs, reinstate individual memberships for those peope affiliated with skyride, and that they would stay out of dropzone business practices.

Now it's entirely possible that there was a small conspiracy. Maybe someone got paid off by skyride. Or maybe USPA got their asses handed to them by a bunch of lawyers. Which makes more sense?

Trust me, I would have loved to see USPA take down skyride. But it was clear from the day after USPA got involved with skyride that an organization such as USPA can't legally do that. It sucks, because we consider USPA an organization for skydivers. Destroying skyride would benefit skydivers. Unfortunately, USPA represents more than "us." I think USPA should drop the entire group member program and focus on skydivers. But that's not the way things are.

I have no special insider information. I am just looking at the facts that we know and making sense of them. As I said, you could be right... but to me, it's not the simple answer and doesn't make the most sense. The idea that USPA is scared to death to mention skyride anymore makes a whole lot more sense to me. I bet skyride's lawyers are ready and waiting to go after USPA again if they slip up at all.

Dave

Show me exactly where USPA's lawyers "informed them," if you have the documentation or otherwise.

...But it was clear from the day after USPA got involved with skyride that an organization such as USPA can't legally do that...

I'd still like to know which "official" you reference, is it a secret for some reason? Why can't they explain on here?

Maybe I was a little harsh on you last night, and I apologize for that, but I STILL do not see how the USPA "can't legally do that" since the settlement was made and the subject wasn't really approached, just given in to. Nothing was proven, was it?
Roll Tide Roll

...But it was clear from the day after USPA got involved with skyride that an organization such as USPA can't legally do that...

I'd still like to know which "official" you reference, is it a secret for some reason? Why can't they explain on here?

Maybe I was a little harsh on you last night, and I apologize for that, but I STILL do not see how the USPA "can't legally do that" since the settlement was made and the subject wasn't really approached, just given in to. Nothing was proven, was it?

My understanding (and this may be wrong - if so I welcome correction) is that USPA didn't follow their own procedures for booting all the Skyride DZs.
That was the main point of the suit. Not whether or not the DZs deserved to be booted.

And the lawyers/insurance company wasn't willing to risk paying for the entire legal fight because of the chance of losing.
This is typical in our legal system. The insurance co will settle to avoid the cost of the suit, not because the case isn't strong.

And these settlements often include gag orders for all involved, with some serious consequences for violating them (hence Jan's avatar pic).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

My understanding (and this may be wrong - if so I welcome correction) is that USPA didn't follow their own procedures for booting all the Skyride DZs.
That was the main point of the suit. Not whether or not the DZs deserved to be booted.

And the lawyers/insurance company wasn't willing to risk paying for the entire legal fight because of the chance of losing.
This is typical in our legal system. The insurance co will settle to avoid the cost of the suit, not because the case isn't strong.

And these settlements often include gag orders for all involved, with some serious consequences for violating them (hence Jan's avatar pic).

May be, but still I don't get the gag-order imposed here unless someone has something to hide. If a hospital botches an operation and settles with someone for millions, of course the gag-order is going to be included in the settlement, because who would go to a hospital who they saw on the news did whatever that bad? Hence my suspicions, WHO here, exactly, has something to hide in the case? Who would have to deal with the consequences if it were known just who all messed up in this case, and how, or who would be humiliated at the fact that maybe the settlement wasn't quite reasonable, and perhaps the outcome would have likely been well to the contrary? I think the only person who has been routinely and publicly whipped from those who either think they understand why USPA settled or those blatantly on the side of Skyride was Jan Meyer, the one with the gag.

I do think it's possible that the insurance company influenced the settlement, but unless we know the terms and how it came about, we can't know whether or not they received good advice on the matter. I've met the attorney who I understand handled it, and I was not impressed.

Either way, now the term "drop in the bucket" would certainly make me feel stupid having gloated very loudly about the first suit results, if I were a thinking person who had done something like that. :P
Roll Tide Roll