peanutgallery

Unsupportive spouse???

I have to laugh..and cry. It has been 12 yrs since my last jump...My daughter is now 11...You can guess the discussion my wife and I had. I just decided that my love for her and my vow to her were more important than jumping... think about it. I do hope to return to jumping soon though;)

I think that is awesome. Good for you.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

For his birthday, I gave him a gift certificate for his first tandem since he seemed to enjoy watching mine...and he tore it into pieces.

That kind of behavior would pretty much end any interest I had in that person. What a jealous knucklehead. Glad you left his selfish ass.

He'll listen and ask how it went but he in no way shares my enthusiasm.

It's the same thing when I visit my folks and they go on & on about golf.

Skydiving is one of those things that you either love or hate. It is very hard to convince someone why it's important.

I would be interested to hear from someone who is in the same situation as Peanut and I and NOT divorced! What's the secret?

It sounds like you have a dropzone nearby if you're there all the time?
My wife hates skydiving and resents me doing it especially as the nearest decent dz is 3 hours away. money to do it is also an issue with her!
Because of this i go maybe 4-5 times a year in trips of between 2-5 days and try to get as many jumps as i can in in that period.
it's not a lot but if you can get >25 jumps in per trip it satisfies the craving for a little while at least.

if you say you're going every weekend then maybe that's the problem.
you might want to spend one or two weekends with your other half.

i'm not saying my way is right as i don't go often enough and would like to go more but i take what i get!!!

I got my FJC as a birthday present from my wife - it was a bit surprise because we never talk about skydiving before (she just said she saw me looking round the sky many times and therefore a parachute jump seems to be a good idea for me... :)
She used to accompany me to the DZ until the day she had to watch my chopped canopy and did not notice me under a reserve... :| Since then she says she fears for me, but everytime is very courious about my jumps and sometimes even watches some skydiving vids with me. But she say she will never jump and I see no reason to persuade her.

I am probably far from a typical dz.commer as the skydiving is not "all I have in my life", but it is simply one of things I like. And if I had to vote between skydiving and my wife, the result would be definite - I have plenty of hobbies, but only one wife :)

Often times, some are so eager to condemn the actions of comrades significant others after receiving details from one side of the fence concerning one or two issues. There are so many varying intricate details when it comes to a relationship to be able to make judgment calls from small tidbits of information. It is easy to jump quickly in making statements/judgments concerning someone’s significant other without living the whole story. It is important to accept the choices our peers make that create contentedness and to encourage them to do whatever it is that makes them happy while remaining within the boundaries of their own personal value systems.

For some, splitting is the answer, for some it is finding balance and for some making sacrifices and not participating in certain activities, there is no one size fits all answer as we are all different in the way we decide to live our lives and conduct ourselves in personal relationships.

I believe that it is important to not make any hasty decisions in life, especially ones that can have a tremendous impact that we may regret for an extended period of time.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

You have to have balance in a relationship...

My wife has no desire to skydive. She comes from a very traditional family and loves to cook and garden. She likes to shop, and beautify the home. She's also in to golf, travel, and the beach. I ride a Harley and skydive.

She knows I love skydiving and she supports me, even though she hates it. I would rather sit at home and drive nails through my toes than "lay out" at the beach, but I do it.

Skydiving has actually helped my marriage. I now take the time to show an interest in the things she does, and she reciprocates. Every few weeks she shows up at the DZ and hangs for a while, even though our sport is very specialized and we speak a language most grounders don't understand.

When we go on vacation, I take my gear and we spend a day at the closest DZ, and then we do the things she likes to do. I get her rides in jump planes whenever it's permitted too.

If someone ever makes you pick between them, or what you love, then it's time to move on. Love is about wanting to see your partner enjoy life and be happy, but it needs to be balanced both directions.

If someone ever makes you pick between them, or what you love, then it's time to move on. Love is about wanting to see your partner enjoy life and be happy, but it needs to be balanced both directions.

I needed to read that thanks...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I needed to read that thanks...

Dave

totally -
I sound like a hypocrite because I am a freaking instructor but in all honesty, I do not like my wife to skydive! I don’t buy into all this skydiving is safe stuff going around - it is unforgiving as hell and very easy to die. I want her safe and sound and to live a long and happy life, but skydiving makes her happy, so I make certain she is well trained, has good gear to jump and pray that she is not in a mishap and of course - I don’t even tell her I don’t like her to skydive because I want her to have fun and not feel she has to give up something she loves just because it makes me a bit uneasy. I believe that everything happens in this world exactly the way it is supposed to, or it wouldn’t turn out the way it does so everything is the will of the gods, fate or whatever you want to call it.

I am with Rok, it is not my place to tell my loved ones how to live their life, as long as it does not create issues in my value system…
Mykel AFF-I10

Thanks for all the insight everyone! I'm glad I'm not the only one in this boat. Thanks AFFI for shedding some "down to earth" light on the situation. Just some clarification on my particular situation....yes, I only live about 15 minutes from the dz AND because I'm a teacher, I'm home all summer so I spend the weekdays there and I'm usually home by the time the husband gets home anyway (still doesn't like it that I'm there all day). I usually spend the weekends with him hiking or doing whatever. I guess it is a very individualized situation, I just wanted some other views on it. Thanks guys!B|

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke

Hey and welcome to the sport.

I guess I'm ridiculously blessed. My wife is very supportive to me jumping and when I got my older son involved, she kept it up, even though I'm pretty sure it cost her (and maybe even me) a couple of heartbeats. I try and be smart with my time and money, but she is really cool with it.

On a side note, when we were dating, she rode as an observer when I jumped back in college, nearly 25 years ago. I was the last one out of the plane and all my "friends" kissed her on the way out of the door. Maybe that's why she still lets me jump????

She rides my Harley with me too. I haven't gotten her up in the powered paraglider yet.

Stan

Often times, some are so eager to condemn the actions of comrades significant others after receiving details from one side of the fence concerning one or two issues. There are so many varying intricate details when it comes to a relationship to be able to make judgment calls from small tidbits of information. It is easy to jump quickly in making statements/judgments concerning someone’s significant other without living the whole story. It is important to accept the choices our peers make that create contentedness and to encourage them to do whatever it is that makes them happy while remaining within the boundaries of their own personal value systems.

For some, splitting is the answer, for some it is finding balance and for some making sacrifices and not participating in certain activities, there is no one size fits all answer as we are all different in the way we decide to live our lives and conduct ourselves in personal relationships.

I believe that it is important to not make any hasty decisions in life, especially ones that can have a tremendous impact that we may regret for an extended period of time.

Amen Brother!B| I knew I liked your style.

My girlfriend gets a little scared when I jump, after hanging out at the DZ she feels a little better and is thinking about jumping herself. Other than getting your husband there just tell him that once you get your own gear its $20+ - a jump and less on the 4th of July.

So the better half got me hooked. She wanted to try it out and I said hell yeah. She did a tandem and I did a solo for our first jumps. She seemed to like it but didn't enthusiastically want to go again. Yes she supports me and this new hobby but I do agree that this thing isn't for everyone! Maybe in time she will want to jump again. Maybe I'll get her a jump for her b-day. I know she won't rip it up!

-Michael

No, this is not the case for everyone. I have been married for 14 years and been jumping for a year. I should get my A next weekend. My husband doesn't want me to go out there today because he can't be there. He and I both want him there when I get my A. He has not jumped yet but has talked about it. But for years he has had his hunting and fishing. He has no problem watching countless videos and listening to stories about anything skydiving.

if your jump numbers are correct, i would suggest you sit back take some time and try to think like a mature adult.
Reverse the situation and try to honestly apraise what your feeling might be.
If you cant do that your probably doomed anyways
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?