peanutgallery

Unsupportive spouse???

Okay...I recently fell into the wonderful world of skydiving. My husband was NOT happy about me doing my first jump but went along with it because he knew it was something I always wanted to do. Of course I got hooked (which he said he knew would happen). I started AFF and for every new thing that I do good, I get sooooo excited and proud of myself and he seems to not really want to hear it. He'll listen and ask how it went but he in no way shares my enthusiasm. He also gets annoyed when I spend too much time at the DZ (even though I always ask him to come). He says he is supportive and that he just doesn't understand it (not to mention he's not too happy about the money it involves). It sucks. Anyone have a similar problem???

I've heard of golf ruining marriages, but skydiving?? :S
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke

Yep I had a student who was just like you about 11 years ago, she cutaway from dillhole and showed up at the dz one night and asked to stay in the camper, she never left and now she my wife;) and we jump together.

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I have to laugh..and cry. It has been 12 yrs since my last jump...My daughter is now 11...You can guess the discussion my wife and I had. I just decided that my love for her and my vow to her were more important than jumping... think about it. I do hope to return to jumping soon though;)

Is there something your husband is in to that you are not? Would you want to be hearing about something that you have no interest in constantly? I wouldn't! Relax, share your excitement here or with other jumpers, understand that it's perfectly ok for your husband not to share your passion.

I know this first hand... my husband jumped before we met and for 2 years after we were married before I even considered heading to the DZ myself.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

All skydivers are single - those who claim different just don't know about it yet.

;)

eehem...unless you marry a skydiver.

regarding skydiving being more expensive then golf. i dont think so, either that, or he plays at the cheep county courses. and, what the hell, chasing a little white ball around on some grass....hmmm, sounds exciting...yawn. ;)

Hey Peanut! I'm in the same boat as you! I got MAD addicted to skydiving after my first tandem. I'm almost done with AFF & about to get my A license (whoo hoo!)... anyway, my hub and I had "discussions" everytime I came home from the dz...and yes...I (like you) spend every waking moment I can there.

He has a hobbie too though, hunting...and finally YESTERDAY I smartened up and when he said "I wish you would quit skydiving"...I replied "OK! I'll do that if you will give up hunting!"...that shut him up! :)

I swear, I'm gonna be the first skydiver with an unsupportive spouse that MAKES it and keeps jumping! :P

He has a hobbie too though, hunting...and finally YESTERDAY I smartened up and when he said "I wish you would quit skydiving"...I replied "OK! I'll do that if you will give up hunting!"...that shut him up! :)

sounds like a "healthy" way to work out a disagreement. :P

The really weird thing is a bunch of my friends died when our dz plane crashed after losing an engine on take off...6mo after i stopped jumping:( With who was on the load, I am sure I would have been on that load if I was jumping that weekend. So I think it turned out that it was a good choice to put jumping on hold till my daughter was older.

The real problem now is that i'm too fat to get out the jump door!:D lol

Yep. I tried to introduce my exhusband to the world of skydiving and why I enjoyed it so much and the comradery etc...but he preferred sitting in a bar eating chicken wings with his friends and betting on football games while I was out skydiving at MileHi. For his birthday, I gave him a gift certificate for his first tandem since he seemed to enjoy watching mine...and he tore it into pieces. He made it clear that he had no interest to ever do a tandem or go to my dz and see why I liked it so much. He said it was a "cult" of sorts which I was absorbed into ...blahblah...so I continued to go to the dz on the weekends as well as boogies out of state while he continued going to bars betting on sports and Vegas...we eventually divorced.

UGH!!! That is SOOOO sad!

He sounds like a loser anyway...who would rather hang out with drunk guys who smell like chicken instead of chillin with his honey?

Joe WON'T watch my vids though...and he definitely calls it a "cult" and says I'm worse than an alchoholic...blah blah blah... whatever. I guess it is...I mean I was def joking about selling his new HD flatscreen so I could get some jump funds!...needless to say, he didn't think that was funny!! :ph34r:

I would be interested to hear from someone who is in the same situation as Peanut and I and NOT divorced! What's the secret?

same situation as Peanut and I and NOT divorced! What's the secret?

Hate to bust your bubble there, but your already well on your way to being a victim of AIDS! What you don't understand is your busting your mans nuts and crushing his ego by doing something he has not the balls to do and that makes him look bad around his beer swillin chicken wing eat'n football watch'n bar loser crowd, so while your out jumping and having fun he's talking shit about you to belittle you in front of his buds to try to reinflate his nut sack and pretend he is macho, the same type of dillhole that shows up at the dz and in front of his chick he is all strut'n around like billy badass till they get to the door and then turn into a big cry baby chicken shit, we all have seen um and you will to if your around long enough. Better get your lawyer to draw up the papers now so you can cutaway.

Non skydiver dudes ego's just can't handle a skydiva.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I have to laugh..and cry. It has been 12 yrs since my last jump...My daughter is now 11...You can guess the discussion my wife and I had. I just decided that my love for her and my vow to her were more important than jumping... think about it. I do hope to return to jumping soon though;)

Has your wife ever saved your life?
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Just because both people in a relationship are skydivers doesn't mean that it will last. :(

Young grasshopper you must find balance. The sky will always be there, however yous husband may die tommorow especially if he has a large life insurance policy

Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Does that happen to everyone that skydives? I've been married for 9 months, I just did my first tandem and I want to start doing AFF. I brought my husband to the DZ to get pictures of me and he seemed to enjoy watching how happy I was and the video, etc. I just wouldn't want to lose him due to a sport/hobby.

I am currently in a relationship and have been for three years. My partner has only jumped once and it took me two years (I was an instructor the whole time) before I got her to do a tandem and I seriously doubt she ever will do another. That's ok...hard for me to grasp...but its ok.

However... She understands my passion for the sport and knows that "loving" a sport is very different than "loving" a person. She has said that she wouldn't ask me to stop skydiving since it could possibly mean our relationship as well. She is very supportive of my sport and of course would rather I play guitar more or something, but is glad that I have something I really enjoy and our relationship has never been stronger!

There is hope.

Okay...I recently fell into the wonderful world of skydiving. My husband was NOT happy about me doing my first jump but went along with it because he knew it was something I always wanted to do. Of course I got hooked (which he said he knew would happen). I started AFF and for every new thing that I do good, I get sooooo excited and proud of myself and he seems to not really want to hear it. He'll listen and ask how it went but he in no way shares my enthusiasm. He also gets annoyed when I spend too much time at the DZ (even though I always ask him to come). He says he is supportive and that he just doesn't understand it (not to mention he's not too happy about the money it involves). It sucks. Anyone have a similar problem???

I've heard of golf ruining marriages, but skydiving?? :S

Cheers,
Travis

I did my first tandem two weeks after our wedding, and started AFF a few weeks later. My wife has zero interest in jumping, but knows that skydiving makes me happy, so she's cool with it. In fact, last spring, after going to the DZ and not jumping AGAIN due to a lack of rental gear, she told me I should just buy my own rig! Of course, I had been shopping already, but it was nice to hear that. I try to keep a balance in our life. I don't let skydiving control the bank account or our weekends. I make sure she knows that I'm being as safe as possible, and I don't let her feel like skydiving is a bigger priority than her. This weekend, I surprised her with a trip to Vegas for our anniversary! Maybe you could back off a bit on the trips to the DZ for a while? Or even better, find a way to get him to the DZ...even just to hang out for a few hours. Skydivers are some of the coolest people he'll meet!
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

A trip to Vegas, that is really cool. I feel that my husband is the same way, he wants me to be happy and he supports what I do. He is my priority, first and foremost, as is our finances and doing stuff with him. After all that, then if there's time and money for me to go skydiving, I will.

All skydivers are single - those who claim different just don't know about it yet.

;)

Oh yes, I am currently in the process of doing just that... ;)

And...for the first time in my life I'm actually thinking of marriage. Who knew - I did sure as hell not.
But if it is love, he/she will let you jump. It is not love to restrain someone from something they love. I have seen more relationships going down the drain because of skydiving than rigs forever being put in the back of the closet because of relationships.

And...don't jump into marriage! Haha, crazy yanks :)
chris