weaverd

IS this safe/legal ??

Doug_Davis

You're using the word "retarded" as a put down or in a negative connotation. For those with children or family members who are mentally disabled its an insult.

It's taken on political overtones, kind of like using "niggardly" to describe a financial tight-wad. It's politically incorrect to use that word because people associate it with an insult against blacks, when in fact it has nothing at all to do with blacks. Ignorance and political correctness override truth and common sense. And so it goes...

Tandem standing seems pretty dumb but the chin camera, that is GREAT! No hazard of shit getting snagged on top of your helmet, unless you deploy on your back.

For some reason with the various jokes in here I couldn't stop laughing for 5 minutes :D

dragon2

That was quite the interesting skydive

would be even more so if the link worked. [:/]

Link works for me.

It shows a mr bill tandemjump with drogue-rider and some other jumpers (2 of which never even come close), plus the most interesting way of mounting 3 camera's on your chin (?) I've ever seen

ok, so the majority of people posting in this thread would probably want to strip ratings of people involved in this stunt because in your opinion its "stupid". ill also add that there are many people that are commenting on this that have no business putting in their 2 cents. if you don't have a tandem rating then theres really no merit to your argument because no offense, but you just have no idea what is actually going on here if you haven't been there before.

2nd point. for all the people that are saying that manufacturers should pull ratings for doing stunts like this. there are plenty of swooping accidents involving more than the canopy pilot. so is PD gonna start taking away everyones' velos because during their swoop (which is also a pre-planned stunt and if you don't agree then you're an idiot) they ended up colliding with someone in the landing area? this happens all the time.

this was a pre-planned jump with all parties being experienced skydivers and everyone knew the risks before boarding the plane. remember this the next time you go to do a raft dive or something of that nature and see if it isn't the pot calling the kettle black.

Your comparisons just don’t hold up. Stunts with a “real” tandem passenger put a uniformed life at risk. Your other examples don’t.
If you know for a fact that this was a “stunt” done by experienced jumpers then I think most would not have a problem with it. That was not indicated up front. The rest of the discussion centered on the “passenger” being a non-jumper type.
One of the purposed of these boards is the exchange of information and ideas. The fact that you feel people are not qualified to comment of the stunt without a tandem rating shows a bit of ego on your part. Some of the people posting have thousands of jumps and decades of experience. You can be sure that they have a pretty good idea what is safe and what is unsafe in freefall. Climb down from you high horse.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

never tried to be on a high horse. its just hard to take someone opinion on tandem safety that has 37 skydives. thats the people i was more gearing that part to. can't tell if it was an experience jumper or not in the first picture. but the video that was posted obviously included all experienced skydivers. and i do think my comparisons hold up well. i don't agree with shenanigans with paying customers that aren't experience skydivers. but if its all fun jumpers involved and its their equipment... fair game. if everyone knows what they're getting themselves into i don't see why people on dz.com should be able to judge them personally.

this original post was asking if this were a legal/safe skydive. the thread has turned into morality issues, ethics, and whether skydiving is safe or not in general. is it legal? debatable. is it safe? debatable. if you're not going to participate in these types of jumps then why do people feel necessary to go out of their way to call these guys idiots? this is no more unsafe (with experienced skydivers) then going out and taking a wingsuit inches from a cliff, or swooping tiny cross-braced canopies, or angle flying.

but you guys don't bash on proxy flyers and call them renegades and ruining the sport for people... you praise them. you gonna tell nick batcsh he's irresponsibly using his rears after diving at the ground at insane speeds on a distance run? hell no, you're gonna like and share all his Facebook stuff because its cool. i think we can all see where I'm going with this. this is a spectator sport and we do it for the camera and to have fun with our friends. don't get butthurt. go jump

While it may have been safe for experienced jumpers, it would have had real consequences if something went wrong regardless of who was involved. Tandems are one of a few touch points were our sport meets Joe Public. Had something gone wrong on this, Joe Public may not have differentiated between who was on the jump. They may simply conclude that tandems are too dangerous and therefore should be avoided.

I compare this to inexperienced or unrated persons doing higher profile demos. There are certain parts of this sport that demand the highest amount of respect from us above and beyond that which we demand for our own safety.

can't tell if it was an experience jumper or not in the first picture.

In your other post you stated “this was a pre-planned jump with all parties being experienced skydivers and everyone knew the risks before boarding the plane.” In the absence of any real proof to the contrary I am going to go with a tandem done with a “paying customer” as you say. If this the case I see no problem with people going out of their way to call those involve “idiots” because that is what they are.

and i do think my comparisons hold up well.

Swooping and raft dives don’t involve a student or an inexperienced person. What is depicted in the picture is a group of turds using a tandem jump for their own enjoyment. The jump is supposed to be about the “paying customer” and should be done a safe as possible.

then going out and taking a wingsuit inches from a cliff,............but you guys don't bash on proxy flyers and call them renegades and ruining the sport for people..

Proxy flying in not skydiving, it is BASE jumping. Different sport.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

mjosparky

can't tell if it was an experience jumper or not in the first picture.

In your other post you stated “this was a pre-planned jump with all parties being experienced skydivers and everyone knew the risks before boarding the plane.” In the absence of any real proof to the contrary I am going to go with a tandem done with a “paying customer” as you say. If this the case I see no problem with people going out of their way to call those involve “idiots” because that is what they are.

***and i do think my comparisons hold up well.

Swooping and raft dives don’t involve a student or an inexperienced person. What is depicted in the picture is a group of turds using a tandem jump for their own enjoyment. The jump is supposed to be about the “paying customer” and should be done a safe as possible.

then going out and taking a wingsuit inches from a cliff,............but you guys don't bash on proxy flyers and call them renegades and ruining the sport for people..

Proxy flying in not skydiving, it is BASE jumping. Different sport.

Sparky

i corrected myself in saying that i was talking about the latter example in the video. you're right, we can't confirm or deny if the first picture depicts a student or skydiver. i just think people are judging without all the facts. i did go on to say the during a paid tandem jump these are not appropriate actions. but if licensed and qualified jumpers want to risk their own lives doing activities like this then so be it. my personal opinion is that people that pull low all the time are idiots, but thats only my opinion. I'm not gonna judge them for actions they perform that are inside legal boundaries. thats all i was trying to say. excuse me for playing devil's advocate and ruffling the feathers of you people

swooping and raft dives normally don't involve students. you are correct. but they occupy landing areas where there is swooping is the point i was making

in regards to the BASE isn't skydiving comment. you think mass media really does a good job of depicting the differences in the sports? no, if i proxy flyer goes in it goes in the news just the same. blah blah some guy doing a stunt involving a wingsuit dies blah blah. do you think joe blow knows the difference? no, the general public puts us all in the same boat

craigbey

Tandems are one of a few touch points were our sport meets Joe Public. Had something gone wrong on this, Joe Public may not have differentiated between who was on the jump.

FWIW, my opinion differs.

Tough luck for the idiot Joe Publics.

Just like learning to skateboard doesn't mean you slide down railings above concrete steps the first day. And if you learn to ski you aren't dropped off by helicopter onto a steep Alaskan ridge line. And snowmobiling doesn't usually involve doing backloops with it off a ramp. And your first airplane flight lesson doesn't involve snap rolls on takeoff like you see at airshows.

One might get the above impressions if one just watches youtube and are an idiot.

Tough luck for such people if there's a skydiving accident that makes the news, that wasn't related to safe and sane student instruction. Happens all the time with other forms of skydiving by experienced jumpers. All that people know is there was a skydiving accident.

Rick

".....standing on the back of a tandem rig and swinging from the drogue bridle like a Vegas stripper"

:D:D

The heels can cause excess wear. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.