jumpslo

AFF: Taft and Hollister

Hey all! Been looking at these forums for the last year and have done 2 tandems at SB and I'm hooked! Been looking at starting AFF for my bday coming up or maybe over the summer (depends on when I can save up the money for the entire course up front, so I can finish it on a weather bases instead of a money constraint ;)... Even though I know when I get addicted I'll always be in a money constraint!! :P) I'm interested to hear people's experiences at Taft and Hollister that have gone through AFF there. They are about the same distance for me to travel to and want to see what everyone thinks about their programs. Thanks!

"Good rule of thumb; is what you are doing the EASIEST for You? Because if it is, it ain't going to work for the people around you."

Come to Hollister, rumor is they have the coolest AFF instructors.

We-- I mean they-- also have the biggest landing area on the planet, a definite plus for students. In the last month or so we have had 3 people come to Hollister from other countries because of our reputation for getting students trained in a timely (but SAFE) manner. For those who buy the entire package up front, i rarely see them take more than 2 weekends to finish AFF (not that package-holders take priority, it's more of a financial advantage--if you can afford to pay by the jump, it'd take the same amount of time). We've also been handling all the students that get chased from other DZ's, because AFF isn't a priority at all dropzones.

I can't speak for or against Taft. I haven't heard anything bad, and can't give you a reason -not- to go there. I've never jumped there, either. Some of our tandem masters alternate between the two locations, and only have good things to say.

As an AFF instructor, in Hollister, I gotta vote for the home team :)
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, as a potential instructor I'd be happy to tell you anything I can! Good luck!

It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Going by the fact I know at least one instructor at each DZ (and one has posted in this thread) I'd highly recommend you head to Taft and see Alex Layne. He's professional with sound judgment, and friendly to boot. Good luck with your AFF and remember to "pull your strings" and have fun.:)

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

they-- also have the biggest landing area on the planet, a definite plus for students.

I have definitely seen this huge landing area in videos.

Thanks for the reply everyone! Don't know what I'll choose, but every time I put in some more cash towards my account I get more and more excited!!

"Good rule of thumb; is what you are doing the EASIEST for You? Because if it is, it ain't going to work for the people around you."

Doing my AFF and 45 jumps at Taft, I really gotta say that the people keep me coming back. Granted I have only jumped in 1 other dropzone (Mesquite) but I enjoy my extended family there.

There is plenty of people who would do a belly fly with you.

On the down side, they did just sell the Otter :( and are currently running Cesnas only. They said that by April they were gonna get a Caravan. I don't know how much that will affect your decision but feel free to do a tandem at each place before committing.

Alex, Joey, Mike, Ty, Voodoo, and all the other instructors are all really great and able to help at a moments notice

I haven't been to Taft in many years but I imagine they do a good job. I have recently done some AFF instruction in Hollister and jumped with local instructors. The instructors impressed me and that's not easy to do.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Will Hollister do AFF for a 17 year old?

Just wondering because my little brother wants to start skydiving.

Negative, we're strictly 18 and over... tell him it'll be worth the wait!

Thanks for the kudos Tim! Still one of my favorite DarkSide's from recent memory... That student graduated that week; he came from overseas and said he plans to bring his buddy back out this summer to do the same thing.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

They said that by April they were gonna get a Caravan.

What kind of Caravan are they looking into? 675, grand?

Which is why you're the only instructor I would ever send someone to down there if I had to.

Hell, now they've even got up jumpers without ratings doing AFF jumps and signing off UPSA license requirements.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Which is why you're the only instructor I would ever send someone to down there if I had to.

Hell, now they've even got up jumpers without ratings doing AFF jumps and signing off UPSA license requirements.

I'm not arguing, I'm asking sincerely. How do you know this? On selective and rare ocassions, I do independent AFF in Lodi so I'm curious where this info has been accrued. Feel free to contact me offline if you wish.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto